Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Brawl Megathread [SPOILER PARADISE]  (Read 437724 times)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros Brawl Megathread [SPOILER PARADISE]
« Reply #2505 on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:02 pm »

Anyways, there's nothing I love more than ranting about the characters in Brawl. Pretty awesome, IMHO, for the most part. But seriously, screw Diddy Kong, screw Marth, SCREW Lucas, screw all the clones (especially the fact that there's 2 clones for Fox, even though he's my fav), screw the fact that they didn't overhaul Ganondorf.

20 more days...

Diddy is not near a clone. He is completely unique. Ike and Marth have similar fighting styles, but the only move in common is their counter. Ike, in my opinion, is a slightly nerfed Roy, though he still owns. Lucas plays surprisingly different from Ness, though he is a bit clonish. The two Fox clones are also kind-of-clones. Falco is a given, but Wolf is a much heavier version. I haven't played much with Ganondorf in either game, so I can't say much about that.

Subspace emissary is very long. I beat it at about 80% completion and 9 hours of game time. It got tedious after a while, but it was worth it.

gec05

« Reply #2506 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:06 pm »
I watched videos of the whole adventure. Seems pretty tedious and chore-ish to me already. I'm not going to bother attempting to unlock all the characters with subspace alone, I can easily do it faster with multiplayer or events.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: February 18, 2008, 09:35:16 pm »
They aren't clones in the sense they are 100% the same they are clones because they are the same modles almost effectly reskinned and same move sets the weight is just a lazy thing of basically just changing a few values in the program. Heck even i could program a SSB character if all i had to do was change the damage the attacks do and change a few numerals for the way they jump. Send to the graphics department to apply the skin and take a well earned nap.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: February 19, 2008, 06:50:18 am »
Yeah that is the one thing I don't like about the game is that they have less people to choose from and they still kept a lot of the copies. They took out Young Link and now have Toon Link. Don't see much of a difference there besides appealing to younger generation who knows who Toon Link is, but then I never played that game, so I don't know the story of Windwaker. And they took out Dr. Mario who was the best Flow character in Melee.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: February 19, 2008, 07:10:27 am »

Anyways, there's nothing I love more than ranting about the characters in Brawl. Pretty awesome, IMHO, for the most part. But seriously, screw Diddy Kong, screw Marth, SCREW Lucas, screw all the clones (especially the fact that there's 2 clones for Fox, even though he's my fav), screw the fact that they didn't overhaul Ganondorf.

20 more days...

Diddy is not near a clone. He is completely unique. Ike and Marth have similar fighting styles, but the only move in common is their counter. Ike, in my opinion, is a slightly nerfed Roy, though he still owns. Lucas plays surprisingly different from Ness, though he is a bit clonish. The two Fox clones are also kind-of-clones. Falco is a given, but Wolf is a much heavier version. I haven't played much with Ganondorf in either game, so I can't say much about that.

Subspace emissary is very long. I beat it at about 80% completion and 9 hours of game time. It got tedious after a while, but it was worth it.
Actually, I'd barely consider Wolf to be a clone at all. He has a different Up+B and different Side+B from Fox and all his A attacks are different. Also, his standard B attack is similar but still changed and his Down+B seems to have the same functionality but looks different.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: February 19, 2008, 07:35:05 am »
wolf isn't a clone at all, just another Star Fox character with like two moves that are only similar to fox or falco. ganondorf is my fav. character in smash because of his raw power is fun
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2511 on: February 19, 2008, 07:41:44 am »
They probably could have stood to trash the Young/Toon Link clone and put in Birdo or something... anything but another Link.

gec05

« Reply #2512 on: February 19, 2008, 10:54:03 am »
Now I'd like to start thinking about having a tournament. We need to set general rules and conditions. 2-player matches with a 4-player finale at the end? Using only certain stages and items? We may have to wait until the game comes out, but from what we do know about with general experience playing Melee what might be a good match set up?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2513 on: February 19, 2008, 10:57:15 am »
Items would be on but they'd have to be on low. Maximum Tomatoes are cool but the Hearts are a no-go; also no Home Run Bats... and I'm on the fence about bumpers.

gec05

« Reply #2514 on: February 19, 2008, 11:17:07 am »

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: February 19, 2008, 11:20:37 am »
no items, no assist trophy`s , no pokemans

final destination

just kidding if you didnt notice that

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

gec05

« Reply #2516 on: February 19, 2008, 11:34:53 am »
Now that I come to think about it, I thought this was about how good you were at the game entirely. That's what tournaments are for right? Pretty soon everyone is going to say what they dislike to be in the tournament and it's just going to end up like the special olympics.

I know you were joking Celdur.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2517 on: February 19, 2008, 11:52:07 am »
Yeah the tourney needs to be about fighting skills first and foremost.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: February 19, 2008, 12:05:38 pm »
I know what you mean about the clone/ish characters.

I aggree that neither ROB nor Olimar should've been included.

Luigi is acceptable, sort of, since he *needs* to be in there, but his moves could be changed quite easily.
First off; all fire effects become electrical ones.
Nutual-special = current straight-line flame but with electricity effect.
side-special = the headbut attack
Up-special changed into a spinning jump that drags people up with him (heavily modified bowser-up)
Down special = vaccume cleaner which does damage at range, and can suck enemies in if highley damaged (sort of like kirby) in order to shoot them out again at short range (like kirby vs kirby). sucks luigi forwards in way selected.

Yes, he's sort of mewtwo-ish, but it makes sense, and all the moves are visibal in games he's been in except the headbut.

'Cartoon link' should've had the deku leaf as a gliding ability. To be honest, I allways prefered young link to adult link, though. His down be could be turned into something else easily.

As for the 3 foxes; remove either Falco or Wolf. I'd suggest falco, although I know many people would cry out against it. Make wolf's attacks much heavier (pistol? pah! rocket launcher!)
Falco replaced by Krystal. Yes, she sucks, but her moveset would've been FAR more interesting and it's quite obvious how it'd work if you've played adventures. rocket jump, fire balls, ground smashing, shields and whathaveyou can be done with that staff.

I'm sure they could've changed ganon in any number of ways.

Also, if they really want bonus strategic characters which seem out of place (*cough* ROB, olimar) then why not Sunshine Mario, Wolf Link+Minda, Tails/Knuckles, Bowser Jr+Shadow Mario, or any number of great choices?

I know Mario, Link and Sonic could then end up fighting each other, but they're TROPHIES anyway...

Sunshine mario would have sole posession of FLOOD, using all of it's abilities to great use, from attacking, throwing himself into opponants or hovering back onto the stage.

Wolf Link/Minda could have mostly grapple-based attacks (like bowser's bite move) and short-range, charged melee attacks (like C.Falcon's main set or luigi's headbut) for special attacks, maybe even copy the teleport off zelda for an up-special. They could use a grapple in the form of Minda's 'hand'. The final smash could involve WZ's ability to rapidly lunge from opponant to opponant using his version of the spin attack...

Tails could quite happily use multipul jumps, be equppied with his weapons from sonic battle (ranged laser attacks and melee boxing-gloves-on-springs), or Knux could use verrry heavy hitting melee attacks, throw boulders in a similar way to peach's down-special, etc. His up-special would be that flaming jump-punch of his. Glideing for a recovery move.

Bowser jr (although I hate him)/Shadow Mario would have Bowser jr to Bowser as Ylink was to Link - shorter ranged attacks, not as damaging, but faster. Side-special would change grabbing a badguy into grabbing onto a badguy, slowing them down but putting them firmly in control whilst you damage them. Paintbrush for melee moves. Down B to change. Shadow Mario would be a re-skinned dr mario, the pills changed to globs of paint (which could make the stage slioghtly more sticky where they hit, or slow down enemies) with no bounce, the side-B changed into mario's old Down-B move, with added sliding.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: February 19, 2008, 12:31:45 pm »
GCool, your opinion has made me technically bulimic. CONGRATULATION.

Because what Smash Bros really needs is not only some of Nintendo's worst characters, and also they should be clones.

While we're taking out the most original and fun characters.

Hell, let's screw things even further and and add other pointless third party characters. And hey, why not MO' CLONEZ LULZ.

Seriously though, stop adding in thousands of variations of the same character. Having Adult Link is barely acceptable as it is.
Not a winner anymore.