Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Brawl Megathread [SPOILER PARADISE]  (Read 408392 times)

Offline Neoteric

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros Brawl Megathread [SPOILER PARADISE]
« Reply #1830 on: November 19, 2007, 04:19:51 pm »
I really hope they do. In my opinion, the more balanced characters are, the better the game is.

Even though I am not a tournament level player, I think that the tiers they have are right most of the time. I mean, take Mewtwo for example. Just by playing as him, you can feel that he isn't as good as the majority of the rest of the characters.

gec05

« Reply #1831 on: November 19, 2007, 05:41:11 pm »
"Isn't as good" is just a point of view. These kinds of characters are really meant for exceptionally skilled players who favor a particular tactic of playing.

Offline Neoteric

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 19, 2007, 07:04:16 pm »
I had a really long counterargument written out for that, but then I realized that it didn't make sense. :-\

Essentially, you're right, at least in part. I'm not sure about particular characters being designed for exceptionally skilled players, but I'm being stupid and I'm not sure exactly what you mean by it.

My previous post is really bad, actually. I wish I had read it before posting.

However, I would still like the game to be more balanced than Melee. I'm finding it difficult to put the reason into words, though, as you can see by my idiotic last post.

gec05

« Reply #1833 on: November 19, 2007, 07:37:35 pm »
I understand the need for balanced characters. I also agree their number should exceed the amount of specialized characters. But if all characters were to be too balanced, there would be loss of variety as well as advantages and weaknesses, which make the game interesting. The SSB franchise was for the most part a straight forward game and easier to play than most fighting games that require timed move combos. But it also needs to maintain that factor of depth as well.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 20, 2007, 04:21:18 am »
Balance doesn't mean same characters it means that the strengths are properly offset set by the weakness. A person who has mastered DK should be a match for a person who Mastered Fox. it's a matter of who knows the most about there own character and how they can use there own strengths to exploit an opponents weakness.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 20, 2007, 08:37:29 am »
"Isn't as good" is just a point of view. These kinds of characters are really meant for exceptionally skilled players who favor a particular tactic of playing.
I disagree. A really skilled player using a high tier character such as Falco has a much better chance at winning than an equally skilled player using a low tier character like Bowser or Mewtwo.

I understand the need for balanced characters. I also agree their number should exceed the amount of specialized characters. But if all characters were to be too balanced, there would be loss of variety as well as advantages and weaknesses, which make the game interesting. The SSB franchise was for the most part a straight forward game and easier to play than most fighting games that require timed move combos. But it also needs to maintain that factor of depth as well.
I think you're misunderstanding what balance means in this context. Every character doesn't have to be an all-rounder like Mario. It's possible to make the game balanced so that light, fast characters and slow, strong characters are equally viable, unlike in Melee where fast characters almost always have the edge.

But I have heard that Brawl is more balanced in this sense. There have been reports from the demos that Bowser in particular is much better this time around, while Fox is nerfed, and there are also no-flinch frames for some of the heavy fighters this time, as outlined on the official site.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 20, 2007, 09:01:52 am »
I disagree. A really skilled player using a high tier character such as Falco has a much better chance at winning than an equally skilled player using a low tier character like Bowser or Mewtwo.

Well, that is the definition of tiers.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Neoteric

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 20, 2007, 04:35:04 pm »
Yeah. Bastardman said it better than I would have done.

On a different note, we are overdue a character update. Namely, Captain Falcon hasn't been reconfirmed yet.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 20, 2007, 07:40:11 pm »
Possible Headline: IS FALCON PUNCHING OUT?
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 21, 2007, 02:50:28 am »
I think it's probable that he's a secret character.  I mean, there are F-Zero stages and everything, and the only other character from the series that could have worked as a playable character is an assist trophy.  They seem to be trying to include a lot of characters from each series now, just look at Donkey Kong and Kirby.  How long is it before we see King K Rule?

I'm guessing because there isn't really anyone else from F-Zero that could be included, they wouldn't really work in story mode and have been turned into secret characters.   :)  I can't imagine they'd remove Captain Falcon.

Also, I love how they gave Pichu's alternate costumes to Pikachu.  Pikachu's were pretty dire in before, but I love the goggles.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 21, 2007, 05:40:04 am »
Yay! Decent alernate costumes!

Wario had better have his classic filthy overalls tucked away somewhere.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 21, 2007, 06:01:28 am »
wow that dark link looks sexy :o

its like there in our minds! pulling out all the awsome ideas

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 21, 2007, 08:47:14 am »
Yay! Decent alernate costumes!

Wario had better have his classic filthy overalls tucked away somewhere.

He'd better *shakes fist vaguely in the direction of east*

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 22, 2007, 10:02:14 am »
This was the first time I looked at a character on the front page and thought 'who?'

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 22, 2007, 10:12:00 am »
I wish SO much that that guy was a character instead of an item.  :(

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.