Author Topic: Armethium IV- The Death World (This is going to be a list of creatures)  (Read 15417 times)

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Heya everyone, I'm a new member of the forum and have decided to inform you all of what is my newest idea: Armethium IV, a world filled with the most efficient beasts I can design. As Will has already informed us there will be a point where the whole Creature-Generator will be available at all times, the first creature here will be the one I make as my original playing design. These creatures, and for now creature, were inspired by animals that do or did at one time exist on good ol' Earth. You can't help but wanna improve on nature.

Name: The Armored Sawtooth (Loricatus Morsus)
Environment: Oceans (Totally aquatic)
Diet: Carnivorous
Primary Traits: Long, sharp tooth filled jaw; Armor plated body; Guiding arm-fins; Long, frilled tail for powerful swimming.
Notable Features: Attacks with jaw, ambushing at high speeds, like a shark.
Description: The Armored Sawtooth, better known as the Loricatus Morsus, or Loricatus for short, is a powerful beast that is litterally designed to attack and destroy smaller fish by grabbing and shaking, ripping them to bits. The Loricatus is mostly a salt-water creature, that in it's most primal state is a destructive carnivore. While it may not be a king of the sea, it is capable of swallowing most smaller beings.
Inspiration: The primary inspiration for this creature was Liopleuradon Ferox, a creature that lived about 160 million years ago. Liopleuradon had a similar, crocodile-like jaw, as well as long, guiding fins that flapped it's way through the water gently, guiding it. The secondary inspirations were the common Eel, and Callinectes sapidus, a type of sea-crab with extreme armor-plating. These three creatures had admirable features, but were designed for very specific themes. The sea-crab is an armored creature that is poorly designed for anything beyond defending itself. The Eel is a powerful, fast-attacking creature that has the singular purpose of biting, and latching onto, it's target. Liopleuradon had similar power, and was well guided and had a devestating bite, but lacked the powerful tail of the Eel. When combined, you gain a creature that is quite maneuverable, very fast, and some decent armor. That is the reason for the name Loricatus Morsus.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:06:38 pm by Axelgear »

Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
I hate to double post, but I am bumping... Is there something wrong with this?

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
There's no pictures. Without pictures you have about a 2.5% chance of anyone actually reading and commenting on it. A physical description would probably help some too. Sounds cool though. And I have to give points for using the world's largest predator as inspiration.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Also, you need to be patient.  :)
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Also, you need to be patient.  :)

... Crud... The ONE evolution I missed! They said "Hey Axel, go get us coffee, patience isn't a big evolution." Lieing pseudopods...

There's no pictures. Without pictures you have about a 2.5% chance of anyone actually reading and commenting on it. A physical description would probably help some too. Sounds cool though. And I have to give points for using the world's largest predator as inspiration.

Heh, thanks. I'm surprised anyone really knows about Liopleuradon. Thank goodness for the BBC.

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
lol... walking with dinosaurs...... silly little lipleurodons and their reptillian goodyness
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
I'm terribly sorry to admit it but the only reason I know what a Liopleuradon is is because of

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/280260

that little video. It's awesome, and a certain thread-hijacker, so if anyone wants to comment on it, post a new thread in 'Everything Else'. Leave Axel's thread alone, please.  :P

Are you going to create more beasties to the eco-system? I like it so far. Just don't make it too viscous. They'll need something smaller to prey on too.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Can you please not say "LEAVE THE THREAD ALONE" in bold letters? People may get the wrong idea [/sarcasm]. Now on to the next creature. Yes, this one is a prey animal: A plankton eater in the ocean. This creature is the primary prety of the Loricatus, and the reason for it's incredible ability to burst foreword with it's jaw wide open.

Name: Stillicidium Cornus (Water Horn)
Environment: Ocean (Amphibious)
Diet: Plankton (Herbivore) (Plankton count as plants)
Primary Traits: Round, almost spherical bell body; Eyes all over entire body; Spikes near and around the head; Small fins; Wide mouth with no teeth.
Notable Features: Floats at the surface most of the time, turns upside down to defend itself, making it impervious to most attacks when capsized.
Description: The Stilicidium has a very oddly shaped body, it being mostly round and widening at the base. It's head is coated in spikes, and has a wide mouth, eyes dotting the creature from top to bottom. At the base is a small set of fins to help guide it, with a twin set at the top. The creature mostly floats at the surface, mouth open, straining plankton from sea-water. When it sees something, it then flips itself vertically by inflating the "bell" at the bottom of it's body, ending up spikes-side down. This means most creatures cannot attempt to eat it.
Inspiration: The Puffer Fish and Baleen Whale were the inspiration for this creature, as well as a lot of simple instinctial adaptations that made sense. The Bell-Body of the creature does not exist in nature, but I figure that it is the natural extension of the Spherical shape of the Puffer Fish and the Ballast System used by Whales. The Ballast takes in water to sink, and fills with air to rise.

There ya have it: The Prey. Other prey species will be added but this is the primary prey for now. The Loricatus has excellent foreword eyesight, so it moves deeper underwater, scanning for a Stilicidium, and when it sees one, it looks for a blindspot. Stilicidium only have eyes along two sides, meaning they have two big blindspots. The Loricatus then speeds up to top speed, rising as it does, and smashes into it, grabbing the fleshy part of the creature, ripping it to shreds. This was inspired by Sharks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 05:07:40 am by Axelgear »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
Pretty nice  ;),

Just one question how does it move? (not just float, I mean to diffrent directions)

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
It... Doesn't. The creature breeds asexually. It lays it's own eggs and fertilizes them itself. It just sits at the surface and moves with the currents. If they do need to move, they have small fins to redirect themselves.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
I think I heard of the first one but is the second one an acient earth craeture and GrrrArrgh is right, if you have pictures there is a small cance people will bother to read it, but in my case if it has an intresting tittle I'll read pics or not. but if people do reply for pics howcome in my thread almost nobody replied and I think I gave pics every now and then.(maybe they don't like paint  :-\)
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Neither of these ever actually existed at one time, but they're inspired by creatures that did. They're entirely thought up by my overractive imagination. Now, on to the next creature. A Scavenger. And yes, I'm still working on the ocean environment.

Name: Large Eyed Anemocine (Oculus Ingens Trilobita)
Environment: Oceans (Open and Deep Regions)
Diet: Carrion and Kelp (Omnivorous)
Primary Traits: Long, thin, spiraling shell; Single, large eye on each side; Twelve tentacles, ten being short, sucker-lined tendrils, and two being longer than the body, ending in crab-like claws instead of suction cups.
Notable Features: Despite it's size and fearsome look, the Anemocine is a cowardly creature. It moves by moving water through it's hardened shell like a jet, and fills or releases special "tanks" inside the shell to rise or sink. The Anemocine is a scavenger that usually slinks across the deepest parts of the ocean, cutting up small, blind fish, and devouring them, or following Loricatus and eating the remains of their meals, and now and then one of their young. Anemocine are rarely eaten by Loricatus, but in a battle, a full grown Loricatus devours an Anemocine for lunch. Anemocines are about 3 meters in length, not including the tentacles.
Inspiration: The Large Eyed Anemocine was inspired by a creature called the Giant Orthocone and the Trilobite. The Giant Orthocone had it's hayday about 455 million years ago. The Trilobite is one of the oldest creatures on earth, and a mixture between Crabs and Cephalopods. I am not sure, but I theorize that, because of such similarities, crabs and squid evolved from a similar ancestor, of which creatures like Amonites and Orthocones are proof. Hence, I think that a squid with crab-like features can't be THAT far out there. Sideways facing eyes, crab-claws instead of suction cups, and an armored shell, and it seems to resemble a crab in a way.

There ya go. The primary three creatures of the sea, the predator, the prey, the scavenger. Other fish obviously exist but they're not the biggest parts of the ecosystem.

Up next: LAND!

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Bleh... it's well described but even at a casual glance I could see it's just one of those ancient squid animals. It's not exactly "my new creature", more like "real old creature"  :-\
Try to go crazy on land. If I see a bunch of dinosaurs I'll be disappointed.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
Nnnno, the Anemocine actually looks quite different to ancient creatures, but it is probably the most similar of them all.

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
I would have to say the water horn would be vulnerable to attack from flying predators. If it panics and inflates, then it becomes stuck helpless at the surface, its spines pointed down and its vulnerable belly exposed. Sounds delicious!