Author Topic: Ah, so Sony has officially ripped off Nintendo's controller.  (Read 16805 times)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, so Sony has officially ripped off Nintendo's controller.
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 05:13:57 am »
FANBOY!

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 05:17:25 am »
It's an excellent move by Sony in my opinion. Nintendo was relying on their controller as a selling point, but now that Sony has something similar (and I use similar very loosely, they're almost totally different), what does Nintendo have? You may say that HD gaming and impressive graphics aren't going to win this console war, but when one console has the same as another, and more, it's pretty obvious which is going to come out on top. The PS3 now has the best of both worlds (Microsoft [online] and Nintendo [controller]), which is the perfect way to sell a system. You don't owe a company a living, your money or your support. If the PS3 has "copied" the Nintendo controller, and now has that among other things, get the PS3. Buying an inferior console just for the sake of it having a brand name you've always used is ridiculous.

But like I said, they're virtually nothing alike. If you want a console where you can use the controller as something to point at the TV, use for tennis games and sword fighters etc, get the Wii. If you're going to get a console for flight and driving games, get the PS3. Don't stick to one or the other just because you've bought their products before.

I don't think that's the case at all, at least for most people.

Sony have completely ripped off Nintendo's controller, but it can't be used anywhere near the extent as the Wii's can be, it's very clearly just something they've thrown in at the last minute to try and compete.  On top of that they've copied Microsofts online, but it seems to be no where near the same level and they've even taking elements from the 360's controller too.  Can anyone look at it and say the guide button and analogue triggers weren't taking from it?  There's also the fact that they were lying about the specs, the system barley seems to be more poweful than the 360, and from what they've shown is much worse than most games on the 360.  The few games they showed that did look good, Gran Tursimo, FFXIII, Eight Days, etc, were all faked.  It's just like last year when they showed a mocked up version of Killzone 2.  You can keep telling yourself "it was real" but in reality, the final games are not going to look anything like that.  At least if they showed some actual footage of these games I could respect them.

And of course the system costs $700 or $500 if you want an extremely stripped down version.  So where is Sony doing anything better than the competion?  They only seem to be poor immitating them.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:19:36 am by WinterSnowblind »

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 05:24:41 am »
The term is "target video" lol

If you don't know those are fake then you have been drinking too much kool ad

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 05:26:24 am »
Target videos then.   ;)
Anyway, even if they were real.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 05:29:48 am »
OH, so thats why snake killed himself. I couldn't really see what they were saying on a low res video

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 06:15:04 am »
What's funny to me is, I read the title of this thread and went, "Wait, someone didn't know they ripped off Nintendo's controller? Come on, folks, the D-Pad, analog sticks, rumble function, four-button primary layout, shoulder buttons -- it's friggin' obvious." And then I found out they're trying to do some cheapy version of the Wii controller.

All I can say is: ****ers. I hope they crash and burn. How can Ueda-san, who prides himself on doing innovative game designs, stand working for these brainless people? Think I'll start a petition to try and convince him to go to another company. That would be awesome. I don't even care what company it is, so long as they let him do his thing and don't interfere.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 07:41:35 am »
It's an excellent move by Sony in my opinion. Nintendo was relying on their controller as a selling point, but now that Sony has something similar (and I use similar very loosely, they're almost totally different), what does Nintendo have? You may say that HD gaming and impressive graphics aren't going to win this console war, but when one console has the same as another, and more, it's pretty obvious which is going to come out on top.

You know, a couple of years ago people made pretty much the same argument in regards to the DS versus the PSP and the respective capabilities of both machines.
See how that worked out?

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 09:20:48 am »
I found this quote funny:
"rumble was last generation, movement is this generation."

translation : "Man rumble is so lame any one with rumble is a noob." lol they should thank Nintendo to bringing the idea to the table. I don't think it's that big of deal that they have no rumble (lawsuits) but it is a nice subtle way to bring people into a game.

oh ya link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149586.html
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

werechicken

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 09:23:36 am »
If I had to choose between next-gen graphic or good and original games I know which one I'd choose

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 02:07:24 pm »
I already got this topic right and won.

Next argument!

Offline cpugeek13

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 02:41:31 pm »
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the new sony controller will not have rumble feedback. (edit: sorry, didn't read thoroughly enough) Personally, i doubt many game developers will even take advantage of the ps3's sensors. It seems more like a gimmick to attract press and to give the ps fanboys something to wave in the nintendo fans faces. Who knows, could this be the last major playstation console? With a high price and not much innovation, it very well could be, methinks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:54:23 pm by cpugeek13 »

Offline Alan

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • alanlongstaff.net
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 03:51:55 pm »
It's an excellent move by Sony in my opinion. Nintendo was relying on their controller as a selling point, but now that Sony has something similar (and I use similar very loosely, they're almost totally different), what does Nintendo have? You may say that HD gaming and impressive graphics aren't going to win this console war, but when one console has the same as another, and more, it's pretty obvious which is going to come out on top. The PS3 now has the best of both worlds (Microsoft [online] and Nintendo [controller]), which is the perfect way to sell a system. You don't owe a company a living, your money or your support. If the PS3 has "copied" the Nintendo controller, and now has that among other things, get the PS3. Buying an inferior console just for the sake of it having a brand name you've always used is ridiculous.

But like I said, they're virtually nothing alike. If you want a console where you can use the controller as something to point at the TV, use for tennis games and sword fighters etc, get the Wii. If you're going to get a console for flight and driving games, get the PS3. Don't stick to one or the other just because you've bought their products before.

I don't think that's the case at all, at least for most people.

Sony have completely ripped off Nintendo's controller, but it can't be used anywhere near the extent as the Wii's can be, it's very clearly just something they've thrown in at the last minute to try and compete.  On top of that they've copied Microsofts online, but it seems to be no where near the same level and they've even taking elements from the 360's controller too.  Can anyone look at it and say the guide button and analogue triggers weren't taking from it?  There's also the fact that they were lying about the specs, the system barley seems to be more poweful than the 360, and from what they've shown is much worse than most games on the 360.  The few games they showed that did look good, Gran Tursimo, FFXIII, Eight Days, etc, were all faked.  It's just like last year when they showed a mocked up version of Killzone 2.  You can keep telling yourself "it was real" but in reality, the final games are not going to look anything like that.  At least if they showed some actual footage of these games I could respect them.

And of course the system costs $700 or $500 if you want an extremely stripped down version.  So where is Sony doing anything better than the competion?  They only seem to be poor immitating them.

The first half of your post backs up exactly what I was saying. The PS3 has elements from both the other consoles, which, on paper, makes the PS3 better. If that is the case, why would you want to get a different console? Because of a brand name? Because the ideas were "stolen" (ideas which are nothing new anyway, they've been around for years)?

Like I was saying, if you have a justifiable reason to get one of the other consoles, get it. But getting a Nintendo or Microsoft (or even Sony) console just because you always have done is no reason for buying it. It's a dog-eat-dog world, manufacturers "steal" from each other all the time (broadband providers, TV providers, supermarkets), and no one cares. The only reason people care about a console is because they feel they owe the company some sort of living, which is not the case.

I've never believed the demos they've shown to be in-game, because they're not. But they're not meant to be. If they had said on the trailers that they were in-game, and they weren't, then yes; that's wrong. But the whole idea of a trailer is to show off a game, to get people hooked. Everyone knows the Killzone trailer was "fake", but the game was talked about for month afterwards, which is exactly what Sony wanted.

Sony isn't necessarily doing anything better than the competition, but they are taking what they know to work from the competition, and, I'll say it again, loosely basing their own ideas from them. I know you think that the ideas are taken straight from the competitors, but they're barely anything like one another. I could be pedantic and say that Xbox took it's Live service from PCs, because they were around first, and had the internet first. I could be even more pedantic and say that Nintendo stole their controller idea from a very old controller made by Microsoft, but I won't bother. Why should Sony stick their neck out when they can use an idea that they know works?

I used to own SEGA systems, a Gameboy, then the PS1 and PS2. I now own an Xbox 360, and I'll be getting a PS3 when it comes out. At no point do I base my decisions on what the console has taken, or "stolen", from another system. I get them because they offer the games and services I want with my consoles. Whatever problem a company has with another rival company is their own, and not mine.

I find it funny that you all think I'm the fanboy but you're defending to the death a console that you've never played against another you've never played, and a company that you owe nothing more than any other. Quite ironic in my opinion. But then, my Nintendo-hating, biased fanboy opinion won't matter anyway.

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2006, 04:14:47 pm »
snip

Well, sure the PS3 may be feasable for you to purchase, however, I'm not going to commit myself to an expensive system with re-hashed fighters. Absolutely no new inovation at all, none, zero. A bland press conference, and a bland line up of games. I'm sorry, but the Wii is the better alternative for me anyway.

Offline Alan

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • alanlongstaff.net
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2006, 04:26:47 pm »
snip

Well, sure the PS3 may be feasable for you to purchase, however, I'm not going to commit myself to an expensive system with re-hashed fighters. Absolutely no new inovation at all, none, zero. A bland press conference, and a bland line up of games. I'm sorry, but the Wii is the better alternative for me anyway.

And that's a perfectly fine reason to buy a non-Sony console. I wasn't saying only the PS3 should be bought, I was saying it should be if you have nothing specific you want from a next gen console (which also includes the price. If you have a budget, there's no point in getting a PS3). Get the one that offers things from all areas. I wanted the PS3 before E3 and before the announcements, which is why I still want one now.

Offline Engineer

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2006, 06:22:27 pm »
The PS3 has elements from both the other consoles, which, on paper, makes the PS3 better. If that is the case, why would you want to get a different console? Because of a brand name? Because the ideas were "stolen" (ideas which are nothing new anyway, they've been around for years)?

Well, I'm not a fanboy for anybody.  As a matter of fact, I don't even have a console right now, and I'm trying to decide which one(s) to buy.  So here is the opinion of somebody who genuinely has no loyalty towards any company.

The answer to your question is, if the PS3 has the functionality of both the xbox 360 and the wii, but it is worse than its competitior in each respect, then I would think twice about buying it.  Factor in the fact that we will likely be able to buy both a wii and a 360 for the price of the PS3.  Thus, in my opinion, the PS3 is not simply better than both other consoles because it combines elements of each.

Of course, everybody on this forum knows it all comes down to the games.  Because of the money issue, I imagine I'm going to end up comparing the PS3's games to the combined library of both it competitors, since i can get both those consoles for the price of the PS3.
Never Stop Inventing.