Author Topic: Ah, so Sony has officially ripped off Nintendo's controller.  (Read 16801 times)

Offline Engineer

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, so Sony has officially ripped off Nintendo's controller.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 08:10:06 pm »
Sure they'll see a difference!  $200 vs. $500!  That's a hell of a difference to me!
Never Stop Inventing.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 08:11:58 pm »
Sure they'll see a difference!  $200 vs. $500!  That's a hell of a difference to me!
Good point.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 08:13:06 pm »

Indeed.

werechicken

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 08:23:36 pm »
I love the fact that sony are touting this like they came up with it first, I was actually looking forward to the PS3 now I might just look into a Wii(no matter how often I say that name I smile, while from now on when I hear the phrase PSŁ I will have to force myself not to retch)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 08:39:55 pm »
I love the fact that sony are touting this like they came up with it first, I was actually looking forward to the PS3 now I might just look into a Wii(no matter how often I say that name I smile, while from now on when I hear the phrase PSŁ I will have to force myself not to retch)

I agree. They said in the beginning of the press conference that they weren't going to win people over with gimmicks, then they pull this? Come on Sony...

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 08:48:59 pm »

I agree. They said in the beginning of the press conference that they weren't going to win people over with gimmicks, then they pull this? Come on Sony...

I became disgusted with sony during my PSP experience. I still have Firmware version 1.5...

I absolutely loved the fact that homebrew and emulators were popping up everywhere. Some very original, and very fun indy games were made. Like Attack of the Mutants, I love that fast paced, pick up and play action. Unfortunatly sony snubbed it out because people were pirating ISO's. Now you have to upgrade to play the latest games. I thought it was great indy developers were making small, fun, addictive titles, and applications. Sony blocked that. Now I only use my PSP for Gaming Steve. great a $250 media player, I should have bought an I-Pod. My DS gets much more gameplay than my PSP. BUT WAIT! I can now use it as a sideview mirror  ::)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 09:24:12 pm »
BUT WAIT! I can now use it as a sideview mirror  ::)

:D So true.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 09:38:34 pm »

hahaha :D
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline SurfMurph

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • My blog on MSN Spaces
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 10:33:54 pm »
Sony ripped off an old, like 6-7 year old, MICROSOFT, not Nintendo, controller. As everyone has pointed out, this is a tilt-sensitive controller without the motion sensors that the Wii will have.
Check out the discontinued Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro controller. It was a tilt-sensitive controller that did not sell that well. There was a Motocross Madness game (I think that was the title) that took advantage of it, as well as one of the Flight Simulator versions that came out during the same time period.
The Wii controller is much different, and much better.
I just wonder if Microsoft patented that tilt controller technology...if so, this new Sony controller may not even make it into the PS3 box.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 11:06:48 pm »
I don't think MS has a patent on tilt functions, they would have said something about it now, and game boy has been doing it for a while.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Arsonide

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 11:27:42 pm »
Sony talks of gimmicks, atleast Nintendo went all the way with motion sensing instead of half way. They just finished adding the motion sensing to that Greyhawk game they showed about 3 weeks ago, he said. Gimmicks indeed, sideview mirror using your PSP? Eyetoy? Who's the one using gimmicks again?

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 11:38:09 pm »
lol i think it would be best if sony and nintendo joined togeter :P graphics and gameplay but then again i dont ... originality and rip off dont go wel whit eachother (origonal rip off wtf?)

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

werechicken

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 03:10:27 am »

A very ****ing expensive side mirror, I mean those things cost more than the side mirror of a BMW!

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 03:15:06 am »
On the bright side it's the same controller. I don't own a PS2, but I've always liked how it felt  :D

A very ****ing expensive side mirror, I mean those things cost more than the side mirror of a BMW!

Heres an idea. Did you guys see those little mirrors on the side of the car that were just grey *hits head* USE THOSE!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:24:28 am by Fink »

Offline Alan

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • alanlongstaff.net
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 05:02:58 am »
It's an excellent move by Sony in my opinion. Nintendo was relying on their controller as a selling point, but now that Sony has something similar (and I use similar very loosely, they're almost totally different), what does Nintendo have? You may say that HD gaming and impressive graphics aren't going to win this console war, but when one console has the same as another, and more, it's pretty obvious which is going to come out on top. The PS3 now has the best of both worlds (Microsoft [online] and Nintendo [controller]), which is the perfect way to sell a system. You don't owe a company a living, your money or your support. If the PS3 has "copied" the Nintendo controller, and now has that among other things, get the PS3. Buying an inferior console just for the sake of it having a brand name you've always used is ridiculous.

But like I said, they're virtually nothing alike. If you want a console where you can use the controller as something to point at the TV, use for tennis games and sword fighters etc, get the Wii. If you're going to get a console for flight and driving games, get the PS3. Don't stick to one or the other just because you've bought their products before.