Author Topic: Ah, so Sony has officially ripped off Nintendo's controller.  (Read 16806 times)

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Just check out any of the live Sony conference updates. What they freaking hell is up with that? Does Sony really have no sense of shame?

I'm not a Sony hater. But Sony has copied Nintendo for years, and this is just insane. I really hope that the video gaming press rips Sony to shreds because of this. And that nobody actually thinks they came up with a "fantastic innovation" like they're calling it.

And they didn't even make it right. *shakes head*

I really hope Nintendo grounds Sony to the ground in this next generation just for that little stunt...

Offline DBCA

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, so Sony has officially ripped off Nintendo's controller.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 06:53:51 pm »
I didn't used to be a Sony hater.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 06:56:16 pm »
aspdfnpaovm-oamewvomap[ovmapeomgfpoawmvpoawe

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATED THAT PRESS CONFERENCE!
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 06:57:58 pm »
I am a Nintendo freak, yes, but this does not make me mad.

Look, take it as a compliment to your (my) beloved system/company/guy because they had such a good idea that Sony felt they needed to use it as well!

Plus, they have not put NEARLY as much time into it as Nintendo so it will probably be second rate and sputter out fairly quickly anyway.

You are not going to go to Sony to play a game that uses that kind of controller, you will go to Nintendo for that.

Just like you don't go to a Diner and expect a good steak.

Anyway, yay Nintendo, and thanks to Sony for the compliment.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 06:59:27 pm »
I didn't used to be a Sony hater either.

Even though I can see that the gaming press is going to eat Sony alive after this, I worry about the mainstream community. They'll see the Wii and the PS3 side-by-side and assume that the PS3 can do everything that the Wii can (which is absolutely false) but with better graphics (although the Wii will have price on its side.) Since the PlayStation is more mainstream nowadays they may just assume that it was also PS3's innovation in the first place.

*shakes head again*

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:00:43 pm »
Um, I don't follow this as closely as I should, I know, so can some one post a link to a story?

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 07:01:14 pm »

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:01:43 pm »
I didn't used to be a Sony hater.

Me either. That display was disgusting. No inovation at all.

Offline Arsonide

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 07:04:51 pm »
I just got stabbed in the back, but truthfully their motion sensing isn't as powerful as Nintendo's. It has no external sensors he said, therefore it's only tilt, there's no 3D positioning. That may be enough to give it the edge though, for me...as I really like GTA and such. Depending on how big the bomb Nintendo drops tomorrow is, and how fun both look to play at E3, I may be a convert...despite my sorrow.

Then again you can't hula dance with a steering wheel, you can't play tennis or swordfight with a lightsaber with a steering wheel...plus Nintendo announced the controller way early, they knew this would happen. They have the real secret up their sleeve for tomorrow's bombshell.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 07:24:16 pm by Arsonide »

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 07:56:34 pm »
I'm doubting that Nintendos "next secret" will be a bombshell.  I'm sad to say I think it will be something retarded like a built in microphone.

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 08:00:16 pm »
I'm doubting that Nintendos "next secret" will be a bombshell. I'm sad to say I think it will be something retarded like a built in microphone.

It was just confimed (lemme find the link) the the core controller of the Wii will have a built in mini speaker, meaning that for instince, when you fire a gun in Red Steel, the sound of the gunshot will come from the controller itself.

While not huge, Im actually very excited to see this implemented into a game like Red Steel.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 08:06:34 pm »
I can care less about any new suprises from Nintendo. I just expect Twilight Princess and backwards compatiability and downloads avaliable online. End of story. That will be a great press conference for Nintendo, with a little spice of flaming PS3 and the xbox360 would be nice.  ;D
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Engineer

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 08:07:10 pm »
I didn't used to be a Sony hater either.

Even though I can see that the gaming press is going to eat Sony alive after this, I worry about the mainstream community. They'll see the Wii and the PS3 side-by-side and assume that the PS3 can do everything that the Wii can (which is absolutely false) but with better graphics (although the Wii will have price on its side.) Since the PlayStation is more mainstream nowadays they may just assume that it was also PS3's innovation in the first place.

*shakes head again*

It seems to me that, in this generation at least, nintendo and sony are targeting very different communities.  Yeah, they ripped off nintendo's controller, but I imagine they're going to have very different types of games.

Also,I doubt your average gamer will blow $500 on a console without looking into it and comparing it to the other consoles out there.  If the PS3 really turns out as bad as people think it will, I don't think they're going to keep afloat just because of the name.  They'll get crushed.

I especially think the high price is especially bad for sony.  They have a lot of customers that just bought the PS2 to play madden football, and I doubt those types are willing to blow $500 just for one video game.

All in all, it does seem like they missed the point.  They're stepping out of their niche, and try to step on nintendo's toes.  Sometimes I wonder how such successful companies can make such mystifyingly bad decisions.  But who knows, maybe we're all missing something.
Never Stop Inventing.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 08:08:41 pm »
I'm worried about this actually. The average person on the street will see "Wii with tilt controller" or "PLAYSTATION 3!!! WITH TILT CONTROLER!"
It's stealing a bit of Nintendo's thunder, which is something they don't need. Everyone here knows it's not the same, but not everyone in the 'mass market' will perceive a difference I don't think.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.