Author Topic: A little off topic but would this monitor be good for gaming?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Topic ^

Linky

I know a decent amount of stuff about monitors and tvs and stuff but I'm thinking about getting this to use when I go to college so I don't plan on getting it for a while (too expensive now!).  The contrast ratio is awesome and the built in speakers are nice. It has plenty of inputs, too :D and I know it has a pretty good refresh rate and high brightness but I need to know what the XBRITE and Ergo bright technologies really do.  Would this be good for gaming on, both PC and Xbox 360 (maybe PS3 in the future)?

The other one I was looking at is the Gateway monitor with adjustable stuff.  I'm just sick of this chunky CRT from 2001 or something.  My eyes need a break :P And it would be killing 2 birds with one stone by getting a TV and PC monitor.

Offline Heartless_

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Heartless Gamer
Re: A little off topic but would this monitor be good for gaming?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 11:29:39 pm »
Save money and go bigger :)  Whats that you say!?!?!?

Dell 20.1" Widescreen.

I have it, love it, and will never ever go back to anything that isn't widescreen.  It works flawlessly with every game I own from World of Warcraft all the way to Day of Defeat Source.  It is the monitor with the best bang for your buck.  And as much as people hate on Dell they are the company with the best deals on monitors.

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:00:35 pm »
Save money and go bigger :)  Whats that you say!?!?!?

Dell 20.1" Widescreen.

I have it, love it, and will never ever go back to anything that isn't widescreen.  It works flawlessly with every game I own from World of Warcraft all the way to Day of Defeat Source.  It is the monitor with the best bang for your buck.  And as much as people hate on Dell they are the company with the best deals on monitors.

The sony one is wide screen to and the Dell is only .1" bigger :P But I'll take a look at it, especially since my dad gets a discount on dell products.

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 02:07:16 pm »
The Sony still flat-out wins. 470cd vs 300cd means a much brighter picture, and coupled with a 1:1600 contrast vs 1:800 this is simply ownage.
If you like the feeling of crisp andwell defined, go with the Sony.
Especially when you consider a 6ms response time vs Dell's 16ms. That does a lot for image clarity while scrolling, a lot.

So yeah, buy the Sony if you have the money. It IS a $899 price tag, while the Dell is only $530, even less if your Dad get's Dell rebate. Happy choosing  ;D

I for myself still wait for the first homescale HDR displays with 1000cd and 1:50000 contrast and <6ms response  :P
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.