Author Topic: The question why we like Spore...  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
The question why we like Spore...
« on: May 07, 2006, 01:51:16 pm »
...and why others don't.

Something I find kinda interesting when telling people about Spore is how some people seem to absolutely love the idea behind Spore while others react with indifference or even keep telling me how boring they think all this is.
Today I posted a longer description of Spore and how it's gonna work, in a forum I visit very frequently. 4 out of 5 (all of them mainly fans of action games) seemed to be very excited about it while around 20 % said that this "sounds almost as boring as the Sims". I asked one of those who found Spore to be boring why he thinks that way and he answered that he wouldn't want to play a game that doesn't have any real goals (like Sims 2, for example). Come to think of it, actually he's right - Spore doesn't have any goals but still that doesn't make me think that this game is gonna be boring. So what is the difference between the gamers who like to play Sim games and others who don't? And what do you think is the Spore PR-Team going to try do to get even those 20% to have a look at Spore? That's gonna be a tough task...

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
Re: The question why we like Spore...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 01:53:12 pm »
The fact that Spore doesn't have any goals comfort me because I feel that I don't have to rush through the game to complete it.  And yes, lots of poeple don't like it.  Odd.

Offline raikitsune

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Ogbogistahni
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 02:03:15 pm »
The fact that Spore doesn't have any goals comfort me because I feel that I don't have to rush through the game to complete it.  And yes, lots of poeple don't like it.  Odd.
yup quite so i'm quite big on the no goals aspect of game and game that claim to be freeform and open always end up disapointing me with some sort of goal system.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 02:20:14 pm »
I like the game for 2 main reasons.

1) im a total programming geek ~ I cant program c++ but I can program some other formats like lua ~ but I love to look into things and figure out how it works. I understand how the codes work, I just don't know how to write it, thats the best way to put it.
The first time I ever heard of spore, it was the GDC video from last year, I downloaded the whole hour talk off a well hidden website after less than a week from the event itself, I was one of the first people to see it who wasnt at the conference itself.
It wasn't so much the game that got me into it, it was how will explained it, and how I was the only person in the room who understood how it worked (my brother watched it too), it was kind of impowering.
It all made sence to me, and thats what drew me in - the fact that it was kind of obviouse about verbs, and I could see how it worked instantly, but I know if left to my own devices it would take me forever to belive it was possible.

Will is just SUCH a great talker, he drags you in by taking random turns, you never know what hes gonna say.

2) im a creator by nature ~ I seriously am, creation is my lifes work (well, that and burning stuff), I remember back to when I was at a summer club thing when I was, oh, 7ish, they had a tonne of cardboard boxes for us to make things out of, and -trust ME- I made a to-scale toilet, including a working flush handle and that thing that holds water on the back that noone seemd to know the true name of.
I swear, if I was given plastic boxes and a saw, I would have made it work XD
All I do in my free time (and even some of my un-free time) is draw, or sculpt using whatever I have to hand.

Naturally, My favorite games are sandbox games, at the moment its half life 2 - garrys mod, I spend most of my time playing it. Heck, that, the physics engine and the map maker are the only reasons I bought the game in the first place.
So, obviously, the moment I realised the incredible power of this game, even if they do use the standered restrictions of todays technology and 'political correctness', I was awe-struck.

If you have either or both of those qualities I mentioned (minus the toilet), it's no wonder you would like the game.

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 02:23:20 pm »
Ever since I was a kid I always wanted a game where I could start as a fish in the ocean, and evolve into the state where I'm a human(oid) and playing a civilization like game. (with my limited understanding of evolution at the time)

Later on I thought it would be a great expansion for that game to make a space age part as well. Future technologies and all that stuff.

Spore is that game I imagined, but more. It goes to levels I didn't even think of for my game, such as first off, being able to create anything you want. My idea always figured to work within my thoughts of what the limits of gaming were, so I always thought of having seperate evolutionary tracks. For example, selecting one fish will give you humans, where as selecting another fish will inevitably give you wolfmen, or something along those lines. Their basic physics and behaviors would change depending on how you survived and certain options you'd choose as you evolved, but you'd still basically be stuck with the same race as everyone else that played the game.

Spore deletes this entirely.

Also, this game encompasses everything I'd like to do with something. I've always wanted to take an amoeba, and evolve it into a being, and further expand to cultures, cities, and eventually colonization of other worlds.

Another thing this game touches upon that 'my' game didn't is the customization of everything. The buildings, the vehicles, etc. In my game, again, due to what I percieved as limitations in game development, would be static purchasable items. So once again, spore deletes this entirely in place of 100% customization.

Also planet sculpting. I had never thought of that in this little day dream I used to have, the fact that you can use the tools in spore to sculpt a planet is fascinating and just plain cool. On top of everything else.

Lastly, the scope. I'd always imagined my space expansion would be... the moon. Which, you know at the time.. that seemed pretty epic. But in comparison to spore, I mean.. once again my wishful thinking is blown out of the water.

So basically, when first hearing about spore last year, watching the video from GDC, my jaw dropped. It was like I was sent straight back to being a kid, staring out the window of the car, or of the school, daydreaming and saying, "This would be the perfect game.." Then poof, I'm practically staring at it. That's the main reason I'm so attached to Spore just in the sense of following up on it. It's like I'm checking up on on a daydream, seeing how it's progressed and changed, etc.

But I think the great thing is I still let my view of the limitations of game development keep me in check. While I'm still overwhelmed of the concept of Spore, I'm likely to not be disapointed should it not turn out to be 100% what I was expecting, or whatever. Another plus, is that it's already so much more than what my childhood vision of the perfect game was anyways.. It'd be hard to dissapoint me since I'm already getting more than I initially wanted.

SO... I forget how this relates to the thread, but I already typed it so...

*post*
"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline arithegreat

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Happy Metrod!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 02:24:52 pm »
Yeah, I'm big into creation games- Graffiti kingdom and stuff like that.
You all should check out that game...
But, back on topic, I like the idea of being able to guide my species throughout their entire evolutionary lifespan.
Really, the civilization stage doesn't interest me as much as the evolution stage. áI know you don't really stop, you still get to evolve buildings and such, but the idea of making a house doesn't excite me as much as making an active, moving creature.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 02:26:45 pm by arithegreat »
"Monkeys SHALL meet buglike creatures with flamethrowers, I assure you" - Sadisticfaction

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 02:48:47 pm »
Just about everyone I've told about Spore gets really interested and excited, even though I usually forget to mention a whole bunch of stuff.
There is a small few who seem to become very stiff and, as you said, indifferent when I tell them about it, talking down about Spore a little, trying to dampen my excitement for some reason.

Must be some kind of anti-hype defense they've developed. Whatever.
EDIT: Also, it seems to me that the few I've told don't enjoy simulation type games. They're mostly into Halo on XBox Live, Unreal Tournament -- certain action game players seem to cringe at the idea of Spore.

I like Spore because I can be creative, I make my own story, and deal with anything the universe throws at me.
I think it must be all the genre mixing that has me interested most. In SimCity, you'd build, wait, and manage. In The Sims, you'd develop your character(s), get rich, and buy the best stuff.
SimCity had me going for about a year, but The Sims (1 and 2) both lasted about two months. I just couldn't stay interested in what I was doing for very long.

But I certainly expect Spore to be very different. It really seems to want to give the players a lot to do, and I like that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 02:53:17 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 02:50:00 pm »
In my opinion, Spore is a creative outlet. Creative minds can appreciate it - "the rest" can't.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline eskay

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 03:03:26 pm »
Off topic a little, but I'm sure in one of the videos something about having missions or goals in the space bit was mentioned.  I wish I could remember where...even just so I could reassure myself that I'm not making this up :P  Either way, I expect that would be sort of the "optional" thing, for those that just can't handle the pure sandbox.

As for me, I've always been fascinated by the concept of creating worlds, stuff like the storyline behind the Myst games, the concept of being able to write books and then step into the worlds that you created...that's always tickled my fancy.  Extend that to being able to populate those worlds with wildlife....and there you go :P

The civ part doesn't really interest me as much, it's more of just a stepping stone to get to the interesting bits :D

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 03:11:52 pm »
I like Spore because:

1. I'm creative by nature and love to draw, etc (any form of art I just love)
2. I am a nature-alien-geek in the aspect I am interested on stuff such as evolution, animal behaviour, alien life, the universe in general and so on.
3. I've been dreaming of such a game since I was very young.
4. I love games with no objective where you can just play forever without an end and just having fun :)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 03:28:22 pm »
I like games to be "immersive"; I think my favourite game ever was the old "Pirates!", I remember playing the Amiga version years and years ago and being totally immersed in the gameplay. The graphics are so simple by the standars of today, but at the time they managed to make me feel like I actually was in the Caribe -I loved it just aesthetically, the surface of it. And there was the fact that the gameplay was very open and there was the feeling that you were defining it as you played. I've always loved this thing about Sid Meier and Will Wright games. I don't really need custom content to achieve that kind of immersion but Spore so beautifully combines those two approachs, it looks like it's so incredibly open-ended, but also you can customize almost everything you find -also, I have a creative mindset but I'm not very talented, so I love that thing about "creative extensions for the player", etc!

Like aquaman, the fact that it's open-ended confort me, there's no walkthrough, no competition, you can choose to stay at enjoying whatever aspect of the game for as much time as you like. I remember talking to a cousin who's an avid gaming fan about The Sims, he told me he didn't like it because it was "too easy". Totally missing the point -it's not like it's a game for everyone, but "finishing" it, it isn't even built into the game!

I like simulation and strategy games but in the last years I find it harder and harder to be "immersed" into a game. The last game I've played for months in a semi-regular basis has been The Sims 2. I think Spore has everything I like about that game, and a lot I like about other games too. In contrast to Sim City 4, in wich the gameplay more often than not got in the way of letting you make the city you wanted, and where the content customization was never very open to the "regular" player, I think this is going to be something else.

I also like the "everybody helping to create an awesome universe", the use of procedural animation, how the two things are mixed to give answers to game developers about the future of gaming (and how Will Wright looked to the past to imagine this future, kinda like glam pop in the early seventies looking back at pre-Beatles pop, etc), how this future of gaming is almost in sync with developments in other entertainment areas, etc. I'm as curious about the game as about what its influence is going to be.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 03:52:04 pm »
I like it because i love it when you have tons of room to do what u want on the game even if its stupid. Also i like it whens there arent tons of quests/goals you have to do. Just the ability to fly anywhere u want in the galaxy sounds awesome and really fun. So i like freedom to do what u want. Then my last reason is being able to create/design your own stuff.

Offline Myshuno

• Zork Emperor
  • WAHOOOO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 03:52:31 pm »
like every post here is huge so i didnt read them so excuse me if i say something allready said. why cant you just evolve your entire creature in one egg laying or what ever. like whats stoping you from that or is there only like so much you can do in one egg lay ???
Right on

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 03:58:20 pm »
maybe theres some point system for parts. also you can do it all in one egg because at the first stage your just a cell you cant just leap from a cell to a huge cellular organism. Maybe you get points in the game for doing etc. and then you exchange those points for parts(this is just a idea)

Offline Aut

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 04:00:07 pm »
I like the whole massive single player aspect, plus I have always wanted a game like this that starts small and you can evolve upwards. No goals makes the game interesting, you set your own goals! In half life 2 I beat the game and there was nothing more to do with it, but I downloaded garry's mod and there is no goals, but I have had many more hours of fun with it. People who need goals to tell them what to do are missing out on a great aspect of life, living it the way you want and enjoying it.