Author Topic: "Making of Spore" DVD/Book?  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
"Making of Spore" DVD/Book?
« on: May 06, 2006, 06:23:48 am »
Spore is a masterpiece. Even in its unfinished state, it carries itself with the grace and beauty of ancient statuary. Spore will be a major game in and of itself, and IMO, a major turning point in the history of gaming. I can see Spore inspiring and influencing the next generation of video gaming. As such...

Wouldn't it be cool if Maxis took some time out of their busy schedule and made a "Making of Spore" DVD or Book? I know that Lionhead made a (rather lengthy) book for Black&White, detailing the process of creation, and filled with production photos and final products. Additionally, they could do a DVD, but I hope it would be deeper then what they had for the Sims 2.

As a person who has been following Spore since early 2005... I feel that I have some sort of affinity towards 'Old School' Spore... That is, Spore as seen in the 2005 GDC video. Since we were given no more tantalizing visual hints for nearly a whole year, all of my fond wishes and psuedo-memories of Spore are in that 'mode'. I would love to have some sort of testement to all of the game's development for nostaligic purposes.

Spore will be a VERY popular game, and I am sure that there would be plenty of people who would want to get a "Making of" Book or DVD. I would love to see this... Anyone else?

Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: "Making of Spore" DVD/Book?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 06:30:31 am »
Well, the design process could be very interesting to read about. All the protoyping, all the experimenting and inventing brand new stuff.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 06:58:50 am »
Many games nowadays come out in a 'normal' edition and a 'special' edition.. I remember that for games like Civilization IV (I think) and for Age of Empires III (I'm sure) you could buy a 'special' edition that would include all kinds of background information and extras.. Seeing as how this has become a trend in DVD Movies and people are actually willing to pay more money for it, I would hope that Maxis makes a similar decision.. If they did and I would have to choose between the regular edition and special edition, I would definitely buy the Special Edition..  ;D

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 12:01:27 pm »
A "Making of Spore" would be awesome.  Oblivion had this and its one of the reasons I bought the special edition.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:31:11 pm »
A "Making of Spore" would be awesome. Oblivion had this and its one of the reasons I bought the special edition.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that if they did one it would be like some other games where it was just a compliation of previously released interviews/videos/audio clips.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 05:25:21 am »
I mentioned this before in the thread about the capacity of a DVD, creature-holding wise. Collectors edition, or something like that.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 06:56:08 am »
I want to make reference (as I often do) to the GTA:San Andreas release packaging.  It's a book.  That's it...

It's a hardcover book with a spot in the back for a CD (DVD) and the entire book reads like a tourist guide.  I want EVERY game to do something like this.  Imagine Oblivion, open the box and you get a hardcover 'tome' explaining about the world, the history of the Elder Scrolls, the Oblivion Gates, and etc.  (but instead what do I get?  I fold out map and an unmarked white cd sleeve).  With Spore... well... that would be rather tough, since you're covering everything from microbial to interstellar conquistador.  I think it would have to be in the form of an alien artifact (book) outlining the 'pollinization' of your bacterial species on the planet and the hopes of what will come of it in the course of time.

Offline gamespore15

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 07:24:58 am »
when you say that it makles me think
how bigs the user manual going to be ?

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 08:23:52 am »
With Spore... well... that would be rather tough, since you're covering everything from microbial to interstellar conquistador. I think it would have to be in the form of an alien artifact (book) outlining the 'pollinization' of your bacterial species on the planet and the hopes of what will come of it in the course of time.

Well, that would be awesome for the user manual, but I was talking about like a special edition book that you might purchase separately from the game, or in a Special Box Set or somthing...

werechicken

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 08:25:27 am »
Oh dear god!
Won't the game be enough to satisfy you people or something?

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 08:41:55 am »
Won't the game be enough to satisfy you people or something?

If that is all Maxis will provide, I would still be euphoric. However, I think it'd be nice to have a compilation of the history of Spore (its making, etc.) and concept art and all that. That's why movies come in special boxed set additions, or sell behind-the-scenes books. People like the movies, and they like them so much they want to know more.

Just because I buy (or in this case, desire to buy) additional media relating to the game, it doesn't diminish my appreciation for the game. In fact, it enhances it.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 08:53:13 am »
  (but instead what do I get?  I fold out map and an unmarked white cd sleeve).

That's why you should have gotten the Collectors edition for slightly more. It comes with an extra book like you described and an actual cd case.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 09:00:07 am »
They should include a big poster with a Naucean on it  ;)
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 09:51:22 am »
I think it would be interesting to watch.

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 11:58:56 am »
I would definitely enjoy a Making of Spore video, or even just a book. Very good idea!