Author Topic: *NEW*Spore Preview Article @ 1UP! (Not the video, this deserves its own thread!)  (Read 8775 times)

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
There's a rather extensive interview article on 1up. I know Scotch has posted this already (one hell of a post), but I feel this article merits its own thread! One thread for a new video + interview is just too much, lol....

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150390

Alright, I've read it and it seems to offer more information than the video. Most of the Will Wright excerpts are from the video, but this article includes 2 new screenshots, an excerpt from an animator, and general outlines of really cool concepts!

Here are some interesting pieces:

- "For example, players will have the ability to scan pretty much any item they come across in the game to save its information to the "Sporepedia" and go back and check it out later on, use it for solving missions that require you to track down something rare to solve a problem, or just have fun cataloging whatever you see. "The metaphor here is trading cards...and this becomes my database," says Wright."

- ""In my opinion, we're going to make something [animation] that's going to work about maybe 80 % of the time," says Bradshaw. "There are going to be things you can create that probably will push the system to its absolute limits, but the fun thing about that is we have players who that will be their fun."

- "if you do lose in that next foray back into the creature gameplay, what you do is you just back up one generation...and you get to sort of remake your character, having learned from your experience.""

- ""At the higher levels of the game, one of the things you can research is genetic engineering, at which point you can access the creature editor for free and you can design as many creatures as you want, and use them to populate worlds. You could recreate an entire ecosystem designing every creature in it.""

And here are the two new pics! (very beautiful!):

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 07:45:30 pm by google_video_fan »

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
awesome!  my only gripe is the posted creature looks a lot like willosaur, I'm hoping to see a variety of creatures not a remake of a sort.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
The new creature is called an eyefeather.

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
Doesn't that creature prove that you can choose what parts to paint in one color and also where to put feathers and hair. Probably the magazine talks about this because the article in 1UP says that the article in the magazine is mostly about the creature editor.

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
So for the tools a player will using when controlling their UFO, they will have to monitor damage ("when you get into space battles there's a lot of combat stuff"), weapons, terraforming tools, etc.

I think this ends the debate over battles in space.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
awesome!  my only gripe is the posted creature looks a lot like willosaur, I'm hoping to see a variety of creatures not a remake of a sort.
It looks as much like a willosaur as this does:

In this post, I implied that the only things that a willosaur and the, uh, eyefeather have in common are an elongated face and a curved tail with a weapon on the end. Yes, I know, zomg teh scorpoin haz a smal haed!
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
It may look similar because of the curved tail and scaley skin type of the creature, but thats about it.
As far as space battles go, I can't wait. I hope they are easy to control... now all we need to know is if there will be large scale battles with other spacecrafts  ;D

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
Why can't I see anything?  The pictures don't work, and neither does the link.  Any hints?
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Awesome!!

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
works here...

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline Spriggand

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • It's HIDEOUS! RUN AWAY!
    • View Profile
Wow, awesome find! The new screenshots alone are awesome. Man, if I'm this excited over just two screenshots, I'm going to probably have a joygasm next week.
OH MY CRAP IT'S E3

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
All i can say is ... ITS SO BEAUTIFUL *drools*  8)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Awesome of the awesomenesses :D
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
- ""At the higher levels of the game, one of the things you can research is genetic engineering, at which point you can access the creature editor for free and you can design as many creatures as you want, and use them to populate worlds. You could recreate an entire ecosystem designing every creature in it.""

Yes!!!

Offline alxian, the last

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
love the way they demod it on a large monitor and probably at 1920x1200 or higher resolution

i'm hoping that if they won't make the gameplay more complex, at least they can satisfy higher end systems by supporting Ageia Hardware Physics Acceleration.

that and motion blur.

when you spin the planet i think it would be very nice to see nexgen motion blur.

the water in the demo looked lackluster where it could be much better looking even in the simplified zoomed out to planet view.

whatever happens i hope the very impressive 1200 resolution or higher stays in the game and that the highet detail settings include nexgen stuff to satisfy hardcore gamers.

ALSO that the game ships on ps3 as well.