Author Topic: One Legged Creatures and You!  (Read 1946 times)

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
One Legged Creatures and You!
« on: May 05, 2006, 04:47:48 pm »
Ok, as I was reading one of the revived evolution threads, (thanks Hydro for reviving every single thread ever...) I was thisnking about one legged creatures. Ok, so, let's use the little hoppy thing from the GDC video for example. If that was your creature that you were playing as, what exactly could you use to attack with in the evolution stage? Would you hop up and hit something in the face? Or hit them with your body? Or what? And let's say that just for arguement's sake that it's an herbavore, what about when it reaches tribal? How is it going to use tools such as spears and drums and the like? With only one limb, I think it would be hard to reach sentience (or sapeince, whatever you prefer). Those are just my thoughts, anyone have anything that I overlooked or forgot, or just something to add at all?

"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
Re: One Legged Creatures and You!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 05:02:26 pm »
It won't.  It will have to develop.

gec05

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 05:09:04 pm »
thisnking

Ha ha... thisnking... funny word. :D

Offline jpdorgan

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 05:16:10 pm »
I think the same question applies to underwater creatures.  Grasping limbs would most likely make underwater creature quite sluggiish.  A dolphin with a grasping arm (especially one capable of dexterously manipulating tools) would have greatly decreased manueverability.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:18:03 pm »
It'll probably hop on the drums. Maybe it'll hold a spear-like weapons, and other things in its' mouth.

(now, if you creature were an aquatic-photosynthesizing ball... or a floating one on a gaseous planet for that matter)

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 06:10:05 pm »
A dolphin with a grasping arm (especially one capable of dexterously manipulating tools) would have greatly decreased manueverability.

Not necessarily, depends on the mechanics really. I mean if these limbs folded into the body like birds wings when not in use, of if the body had stream lined grooves that would allow the extra limbs to slide into. There's also the whole retractable idea, you know like their penis. Or the front flippers became webbed hands, I mean the skeletal structure for that is largely already there, they just dont move independantly and the skin/flesh isn't permitting the digits independant movements, the external structure doesn't really need to change that much.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 06:44:53 pm »
And do not forget that their are aquatic creatures with grasping limbs on our planet. I am of course taking about Squids and Octopuses. Their happen to be the smart animals on this plant that dose not have a spine.

(I my self was hoping to make a squid like spooreling in the game but that a other story.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 07:01:18 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:25:56 pm »
The hoppies had an arm as well as a leg.

As for grasping... how do dogs catch frisbies? Their mouths.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 09:03:54 pm by Penguin »

Offline jpdorgan

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 09:40:54 pm »
I hadn't considered retracting limbs (although I'm not sure it will be included in the game.)

However, the actual wielding of the tool would require the grasping limb to be more exposed, creating drag.

I like the squid idea but I wonder about the dexterity of tentacles.  Can the manipulate complex tools (i.e.  the extreme dexterity to create flint blades).

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 03:29:08 am »
The Octopus is really dexterity's. It can open containers and use simple tools. It can even use it tentacles to mimic other animal setting up traps. A Octopus have the intelligence about a household cat. But they do not live very long. I think the longest living spices lives for 5 years? So they do not have that long time to addapt and explore their creativity. Also it is to some extent harder to use tool under water. Wile we humans did learn to controll fire pretty early for a aquatic race this would most likely take very long time to discover. Squids also have a extra set of tentacles use for hunting.

(Technically the tentacles on the Octopus are arms. Only the extra sent of hunting army on Squids are really called tentacles. But most peeps do not make that distinguishing.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)