Author Topic: Revolution has a new name  (Read 18674 times)

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Revolution has a new name
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 03:26:57 pm »
Well, the name makes sense. When you attach a paragraph-long explanation to it... Which defeats the purpose of having a short name in the 1st place.

Exactly. The revolution was such a perfect name because not only did it encompass everything Nintendo was trying to do, but it sounded so cool. And then they switch it to something that needs to be explained through haiku.

Who knows what their marketing team is up to, but their first slogan really needs to be reconsidered.

"Touching your DS is Good. But touching your Wii is so much better"

Offline scottsh

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • GamingSignal
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 03:56:28 pm »
How crazy is this? I mean, it's like they went out of their way to create a name that evokes a reaction (negative though it may be.) I'm a hardcore gamer and I don't like it, but will middle America? Will millions of mom's say 'Sure honey, we can get you the Wii for your birthday' ??

I assumed that this was the Japanese name when I heard it, and that some other name would be picked for the US. Wow.

"The other systems have an extension of their current names; ours is a new leap to something different," Perrin Kaplan, Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Affairs for Nintendo of America, told me. "A lot of thought went into the name."

Do you think they tested this name with focus groups in the US? I suspect not, but on the other hand, companies rarely make this big a decision without at least getting some feedback.

"Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak," the company said in its flash presentation of the name. "No confusion. No need to abbreviate."

I guess they are right about this - it is a unique name and everybody will know what it is. Kaplan goes on to compare it to iPod or Napster. I can honestly remember the first time I heard those names, and I certainly didn't have this reaction. Seems odd to me, but who knows - it might turn out to be the best decision they could make. It's just hard to see it from here.

PS->Somebody is going to have to update the forum spellchecker - it flags Wii as misspelling :).

gec05

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 04:18:29 pm »
Hey, where ever it says Wii on the console, change the engraving to w00t!

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 04:24:56 pm »
Oh ye of little faith.

Offline cpugeek13

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 04:29:05 pm »
Well, the wii has certainly caught your attention. Good job Nintendo.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 04:30:41 pm »
My first reaction to this was that gamespot was playing some sort of joke on me.  I than than came to the realization that this was indeed the consoles final name.  I didn't even know how to pronounce it at first, I had to look it up on how to pronounce it - That's bad.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 04:35:22 pm »
I think ts a good name. Its hard to get used to it, but so was Xbox, so was Playstation, so was "N64". I found it very shocking at first, but after Nintendo pleasantly surprising me with the DS and Wii controller, I have full faith in this decision. Even since I had just found out about the name a few minuets ago, its already starting to stick to me.

Offline thegreatloofa

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Back by unpopular demand
    • View Profile
Re: Revolution is a great name
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 05:03:54 pm »
Can I just ask, does anyone outside the UK immediately associate the way "Wii" is pronounced with urine?

Also, the name isn't growing on me, since I first heard it about 6 hours ago my thoughts have gone thus:

This is a hoax (a la the Nintendo On video)
V
This is a mistake of some kind.
V
They can't be serious, this name is awful.
V
I hope to god they rebrand it for non-Japanese markets
V
This name is truly ****ing awful. If it is the final name, I ain't buying it. >:(

And all the examples Perrin Kaplan gives for other "wierd" names (Google, Virgin Airlines, Amazon, Napster) I do not find mildly offensive at all, unlike Wii...

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 05:12:08 pm »
I think ts a good name. Its hard to get used to it, but so was Xbox, so was Playstation, so was "N64". I found it very shocking at first, but after Nintendo pleasantly surprising me with the DS and Wii controller, I have full faith in this decision. Even since I had just found out about the name a few minuets ago, its already starting to stick to me.

Are you kidding me??!! honestly all of those names make seance(except wii) could you seriously say wii in a sentence? try it i did a second ago and almost throw up... god i hate that name, Nintendo always does something to screw up there next console, first it was the purple little box that seems strangely kiddie and now its wii, i really hope they change the name back.

Offline cpugeek13

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 05:18:13 pm »
Honostly, what is in a name anyway? Its not gonna change so theres no reason to complain about it. Besides, think of all the sexual inuendos and jokes you can make with it.  :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take a wicked nintendo.

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 05:20:32 pm »
Wii what the hell :o ::) im going to go buy a wii now ::).

Offline thegreatloofa

• Rally-X Roadster
  • Back by unpopular demand
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 05:25:33 pm »
Well I'm off to bed, I'll see if I'm still foaming at the mouth over this in the morning. I'll try the name out of some family members too to see some genuine reactions to it.

*Puts head in hands and sobs uncontrollably*

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 05:33:21 pm »
Is everyone here aware that English isn't the only language spoken in the world?

The name Wii sounds like the same word for yes in the country I live in, I'm led to believe it also has a positive conotations in Japanese.

Nintendo san knows what he is doing.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 05:39:21 pm »
Xbox sounded pretty queer when it first came out, so did:

Dreamcast
iMac
Yahoo!
Google
Mini Cooper
Windows Vista/Longhorn
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 05:42:09 pm »
While I'm also questioning the name, I have to stop and wonder...  What makes me think I know more than a multi-billion dollar company?