Author Topic: Silent Hunter III - opinions  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Silent Hunter III - opinions
« on: May 18, 2005, 06:54:53 am »
Is anybody playing this and what do they think of it? I used to play a lot of modern subwarfare stuff, but the U-boating looks like a lot of fun (if you are a sim-mer)
-Lego

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Hunter III - opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:56:26 am »
Might get it looks good.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 09:51:12 am »
I've been reading about it, sounds like the 1.3 patch hoses up more than it fixes. I read one review that seemed pretty fair in what they thought of it... I'll try to find it and post it here (1.2 patch seems to be the best so far)
-Lego

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 08:07:58 pm »
Picked it up. I'm playing it. A few minor gripes, but otherwise a blast. I'll post more after my next (second) patrol/ (running patch 1.2 no mods)

I'll be turning off the free cam on the second career, but right now it is just fun to watch stuff go boom when you do it right.
-Lego

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 03:21:39 pm »
I like pitting oil/ mmunition filled cargos against 15-20 bismarks. :) so...many...explostions!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 11:52:04 am »
I haven't played with the mission editor yet. I'm still doing campaing patrols in the North Atlantic. I'm currently paused about 20m underwater after getting attacked by a pair of Hurricanes just north of Scotland. Rough seas have been hampering me for a while and crew moral was getting low from all the surface running in them.

I still need to type up more about this game, but I'm a long way from a real 'review'. One thing I can say, if you don't like the movie Das Boot, you won't like this game. You need to want to be the submarine crew. There is time compression (up to x1024) but you'll be jumping in and out of it alot as you play. This is not a 'get a mission done in 20 minutes deal'. This is a game where setting up a single torpedo attack can take 20 minutes. This is truely a hunting game, not an arcade game. My shortest patrol so far took about 5 real hours of play.

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 03:30:58 pm »
I agree its not for the soft at heart but that is just mainly fot the campain the missien edditor alows you to do anything you want. it just take a bit of pratice, the setting alow you do play caual or hardcore (from auto sultion to trying do figure it out your self.)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 10:22:39 am »
Not quite a review... more of a warning...

Silent Hunter III

I like submarine warfare simulations. I like flight simulators (combat and non-combat). I like city building games. I like first person shooters. I really like Silent Hunter III.

So why am I writing this? To warn those of you that see it and think you might want to get it as well. It is a great game, but you might find it a waste of money. Here is why.

To play SHIII you need patients and time. A single patrol in the North Atlantic can take hours of real time (4 to 8 (or more) depending on what U-boat you have and how fast you go). Now there is time compression up to x1024 when you need it, but otherwise the game is a real time naval combat game. I cannot stress this enough. It is a real time naval combat game.

Real time! This is important. A ship can take an hour to sink. Your crew can take several minutes to an hour to do tasks. You cruise along at 10kts, and it’s 1500 nautical miles to your patrol zone. That is 150 hours (six days) to the patrol zone and at least as many getting back. Add in the 24 hours patrol period (optional see below) and you are now looking at a minimum of 13 days at sea. If done at x1024 compression that is still 20 minutes of real time. Trust me, you will not be constantly able to run at 1024, in fact you can only run up to x32 in any view other than the nav map.

I mention this because, while 20 minutes seems short, it isn’t at all accurate. When sailing along at high time compression if you spot anything or you get a report of a ship nearby you compression drops to a lower level (x1 to x8 depending on the situation). You know need to determine what you’re going to do about the contact (ignore, investigate, fight, or flee). Due to this, a relatively uneventful trip to the patrol zone can take 30 minutes real time without you firing a shot. (Patrol ships and aircraft will force you underwater a lot).

Now that you are in the patrol area you need to find a target. The ocean is huge! Ships follow the historic shipping lanes, but you still need to find them. You’ll get reports from other subs, patrol planes, German intelligence, etc… to help you track down a ship or convoy, but you still need to find them. In fog and rough seas, that can mean less that a quarter mile visibility, in the whole ocean! When you do locate a ship, you need to track it and kill it. This is not so easy.

U-boats are submersible warships. They run on the surface by diesel engine at speeds up to about 15kts or so. When underwater, they run off of batteries and compressed air for the crews. They can only go about 6-7kts underwater.

Most merchant ships, you primary targets, go somewhere between 2kts and 20kts, with an average in the 6kt-8kt range. Warships can go upwards of 20-25 kts.

Chasing down a merchant ship on the surface is not hard. Most U-boats are able to go fast enough to do it. But it takes time (and when ships are near your time compression is limited to lower values (x8-x32 depending)) and fuel. When you can only close at a couple feet per second, you’ve got a long way to go to close the 6000 meters needed.

Now then, that is on the surface, underwater you’re probably not going to be chasing anything down except maybe the wounded. Your batteries only last a few hours and then you go back up to run the engines to recharge them.

So, back to why you might not like the game. Time. Sure, you can chase down targets and engage them, that is after you find them, which isn’t easy in this big blue ocean, and kill them, if they don’t get away. It can be a dull process. I can see many people walking away in disgust after finally finding a ship and not being able to get in a good firing position and noting that an hour of their day is now gone. I can see people getting mad that they are attacked by multiple warships at once with no hope of shooting back. I can see people getting angry after being depth charged for an hour and those guys on the surface not giving them a ‘time-out’. I can see people getting angry after chasing a freighter for an hour to just about be in range and then lose it because they had to dive to avoid enemy aircraft. That is what this game is about.

Ok, I’ve warned you enough about the potential ‘badness’ of this game. If you want satisfaction in a few minutes of play, keep looking. At times, submarine warfare can be MYST –action level dull.

So, why play? Because it is a hunting game where you’re in the middle as both predator and prey. You hunt merchants (I’ll discuss hunting combat ships later). The enemy warships and planes hunt you. Your planning and your stealthy tactics help you succeed, your impatient actions and bad judgment turn you in to scrap metal.

Fall 1940 off the coast of Dover in the English channel.
-Currently sailing west towards the open ocean to patrol off the coast of Spain. No contacts so far. Running at 1/3 speed to conserve fuel. Contact: Warship bearing 030 range long. Dive to periscope. Scope up. Confirmed, armed Trawler about 6000 m. Sound Contact: Warship bearing 310 range medium. Closing fast. Destroyer! (Where did he come from)Down scope. Decend to 20m. Speed slow. Rig for silent running. Contact! Warship bearing 070 closing fast. Too deep for periscope to see what that is. Now at 20 M. Destroyer is coming right for us. All stop. Drifting. I can hear the props of the ship approaching now. Now pasing over us. DEPTH CHARGES! Ahead flank! Right full rudder! Boom! Flooding in forward topedo room. Damage to conning tower. Destroyer is moving away. Second ship approaching I can hear him now. Hard to port! All stop! Quiet! Drifting. Boom. Boom! BOOM! Damage control to diesel engine room. All ahead flank. Dive Dive. Rudder to Starboard. Crash! (That wasn’t a depth charge, something hit us) Flooding in forward three compartments. Navigator? What is the depth under the keel? 1m? We’re on the bottom, dammit! All stop. Damage report! Minor flooding, damage to all compartments. All quiet. Contact: Warship bearing 170 closing fast. Ping…… ping…...ping….ping…ping..ping.pingping Depth Charges. BOOM! BOOM! All is black.

This was the end of my first career. Not paying attention, I ran aground in the bottom of the channel. With three warships on me I had little hope of running away. I should have planned better. More later…
-Lego