Author Topic: Improvising Your Creature  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
Re: Improvising Your Creature
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 04:19:36 pm »
i remember one guy wanted to make a race of featureless blocks, who lived in featureless blocks, and drove around in featureless blocks.. lol

hmm i think even where i do have a plan i don't want to just work towards the finished result, but i'd have a definite sequence of how the creature evolves and WHY it evolves that way.  like my danglerfish for example have limbs that mutate from a prehensile tongue, and now the leftover "mouths" are just grooves along the creature's body that the tentacles can slip into to streamline while swimming.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 04:34:37 pm »
yeh only after the first or first couple rounds will I go against evolution just to make me grackens
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline 10-Neon

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 04:58:16 pm »
The problem with improvised creatures, is that you can't talk about them on the forums, otherwise they aren't improvised. I will disclose one small secret relating to mine, though, just because I am that nice: my creature will be awesome. Keep it hush-hush.   8)
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate." -The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 05:00:51 pm »
The problem with improvised creatures, is that you can't talk about them on the forums, otherwise they aren't improvised. I will disclose one small secret relating to mine, though, just because I am that nice: my creature will be awesome. Keep it hush-hush. 8)

Why can't you talk about them?  There could be some design constraints you will try to stay within while improvising.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 06:54:08 pm »
I'm the same way. I don't want to plan ahead, but just work with what works in the environment. When I can build a planet from scratch in the UFO stage, *then* I'll work from plans.

You took the words out of my mouth!!
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline TheFatMan

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Join the legion of terror today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 07:00:26 pm »
when i get the power to create the entire planet and species and plants...i gunna create a striped world...the world will be striped black and white, and so will the creatures and the plants.

so if anyone comes across what appears to be an empty planet of black and white stripes...look closer, you'll see the creatures are there
"The meaning of life is like chinese whispers, somebody knew it a long time ago and it has been passed down through the generations who have altered the message until we end up with Purple monkey dishwasher"

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 09:50:33 pm »
Has anyone else other than me not thought up any creature ideas?  I'm just going to evolve my creature on the spot.  Just to see what happens.  Hopefully I won't accidently created anything that may reflect my personality like a giant penis.  :P

Yep, I'm going in random. I feel it'll be best that way, since it adds more of an element of surprise and awe to the game.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 04:15:18 pm »
I've been trying to come up with something but its hard wen i hardly know wat is going to be available in the game. I decided maybe i'll think of random creatures in my head but basically i'm not devoting to anything. i'll make that choice wen i get the game and im in the editor. Knowing me, I will be playing around with the editor for a LOOOONG time before i finally choose something!
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 04:21:40 pm »
I've been thinking about this for a while now and i've come to the conclusion that a lot of us who have been desiging creatures, have been doing so purely so we can have something new and spore related to discuss/think about. Doesn't make it any less enjoyable though! I think i'm going to be following some of the general ideas i have but i can guarantee i'll get distracted by a set of huge teeth, etc when im trying to make a herbivore!

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 04:24:33 pm »
Though I have developed and doodled a few creatures, I will definitely improvise the game. Then, once I have genetic engineering and planet editing tools, I will create my designed ones.
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 06:38:07 pm »
I've been thinking about this for a while now and i've come to the conclusion that a lot of us who have been desiging creatures, have been doing so purely so we can have something new and spore related to discuss/think about. Doesn't make it any less enjoyable though! I think i'm going to be following some of the general ideas i have but i can guarantee i'll get distracted by a set of huge teeth, etc when im trying to make a herbivore!

That is a great way to put it.  With all our plans (and I am sure a lot of people will follow through on them), I bet we will mostly try for a goal and end up tweaking things as the game progresses.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 08:15:04 pm »

That is a great way to put it.  With all our plans (and I am sure a lot of people will follow through on them), I bet we will mostly try for a goal and end up tweaking things as the game progresses.

Yeah. Plus, every time I think up a new creature, I can't help but think up other variations of it and other creatures that would be in its ecosystem, and you can't design whole ecosystems until the space stage. So I'm definitely going to be holding off most of my designs for the space stage and then start building entire planets and ecosystems from scratch.

Offline foolishfool

• Microvision Master
  • all fear fur-spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 08:22:16 pm »
i think creation will be limited so you first creature wont be your final idea
I'm am the true master of foolish fool foolery.

Offline Cassius

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 08:24:09 pm »
I think that my first creatures will be random, but when i try to create my own creatures, I'll start out with an idea and addapt that idea to its environment.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 05:10:56 am »

Yeah. Plus, every time I think up a new creature, I can't help but think up other variations of it and other creatures that would be in its ecosystem, and you can't design whole ecosystems until the space stage. So I'm definitely going to be holding off most of my designs for the space stage and then start building entire planets and ecosystems from scratch.

Likewise, I am looking forward to taking a planet and either making it habitable or stripping it of its current life and seeding it from scratch as a zoo type planet with some very unusual plant and animal life.