Poll

Do you like or dislike the name Wii for Nintendo's now consule?

I love it!
11 (18%)
like it
15 (24.6%)
its OK
13 (21.3%)
dislike it
10 (16.4%)
I hate it!
12 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Wii good name or bad?  (Read 8167 times)

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Wii good name or bad?
« on: May 04, 2006, 05:50:12 pm »
I dislike it myself.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Wii good name or bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:51:42 pm »
Make a new option: "I don't care" That's what I'd vote.

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 05:53:34 pm »
Make a new option: "I don't care" That's what I'd vote.

You can only have 4 options.....I think

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:56:03 pm »
It's OK = I'm not bothered basically.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:42:11 pm »
I don't really care what it is called. As long as the actual system is cool, then whatever they name it will be alright.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:29:31 am »
I can't say that it's a good name, and I don't believing anyone honestly believes it is.  I've seen a lot of hardcore Nintendo fans try and say that it's all fine, but you know they're really crying inside.

But again, it doesn't really bother me what it's called.

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 12:51:11 am »
like it = it's grown on me. i personally can't wait to ask for one by name. so i guess that means i like it.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 09:07:01 am »
like it = it's grown on me.

Fungus does the same.

What amazes me is the fact that a company that barely has had an original thought for the last 25 years (Mario anyone?) Could come out of nowhere with such a offbeat name. Now if only they started being creative with their games..
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 09:47:16 am »
Oh yeah, like that really uninspired Wario Ware. Pff, seen that a million times already. Metroid Prime was such a rip-off too  ::)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 10:03:12 am »
Its weird because I can't remember one time that I ever cared about a product name. But with the Revolution rename then I've got some pretty strong opinions on it. I think it really has to do with three things.

1) Corporate BS: The name is so neo-marketing that its embarassing. Let's eliminate the popular name that made sense and replace it with a name that requires a pronunciation key and several paragraphs of description for people to understand. Contrary to what they want you to believe, a single syllable made up word with several international homonyms is not comparable with iPod or Google. And its pretty sad to see corporate mouthpeices so incapable of explaining the name that their only answer is "you'll get used to it".

2) Fanboys: How a consumer can love a company so much that they waste their free time blindly defending each product is impossible to understand. But here they are. And to watch these people fault the consumer for being "immature" when critiquing a made up word is just rediculous. Why the heck is it that these people can't understand that just because you dislike the name doesn't mean you dislike the system?

3) Momentum: The Revolution showed a ton of promise without even showing one game. Does anyone understand how amazing that is? So for the last 2 years they've grabbed potential customers with a perfect name and a brilliant concept and pretty much everyone was on the Revolution train. Then out of nowhere they spray Wii in our faces . As silly as it sounds, many people are much less excited for the "Wii" than they were for the "Revolution".  If Nintendo wanted to change the name then they shouldve killed the "Revolution" name before everyone embraced it.

Anyway, I've got my doubts about the Revolution, but I think if the price is right then its a no-brainer. But still, my choice for next generation is probably the DS Lite. I've loved my DS from launch but the Lite really looks to be the perfect machine for me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:18:51 am by mini.boss »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 11:00:17 am »
The results so far are interesting. It seems that the name haters just make up a really vocal minority.

How interesting.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 11:54:18 am »
like it = it's grown on me.

Fungus does the same.

What amazes me is the fact that a company that barely has had an original thought for the last 25 years (Mario anyone?) Could come out of nowhere with such a offbeat name. Now if only they started being creative with their games..

You're saying this about the number one innovator in console gaming history? Nintendo is responsible for nearly everything this industry has, from the controllers to the type of games and across the board. And I find it strange when people bitch about Mario. Most 'franchises' don't retain their popularity as long as Mario and Zelda have; most fizzle out rather quickly. But I guarantee you that when a company finds a character of theirs that is more well-known than Mickey friggin' Mouse, they're going to utilize that character in as many things as possible. Give it time. So long as Halo 3 and Forerunner aren't dismal failures, Master Chief (or some incarnation of him) will be around for quite some time.

Twiggs

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 12:27:55 pm »
It doesn't matter what they call it.  I'll end up calling it soemthing else anyway.

Unless Nintendo is taps into my brain.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 12:29:39 pm by Twiggs »

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 03:28:10 pm »
The results so far are interesting. It seems that the name haters just make up a really vocal minority.

How interesting.

Look at the numbers! If its OK is neutral and above is positive and below is negative there are 12 negative to the 9 positive and there are more I hate the name! than I love the name!

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 03:40:35 pm »

How interesting.

Look at the numbers! If its OK is neutral and above is positive and below is negative there are 12 negative to the 9 positive and there are more I hate the name! than I love the name!

I counted "OK," because people who think it's OK don't complain about it.
Not a winner anymore.