Poll

Do you like or dislike the name Wii for Nintendo's now consule?

I love it!
11 (18%)
like it
15 (24.6%)
its OK
13 (21.3%)
dislike it
10 (16.4%)
I hate it!
12 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Wii good name or bad?  (Read 8205 times)

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Wii good name or bad?
« on: May 04, 2006, 05:50:12 pm »
I dislike it myself.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Wii good name or bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:51:42 pm »
Make a new option: "I don't care" That's what I'd vote.

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 05:53:34 pm »
Make a new option: "I don't care" That's what I'd vote.

You can only have 4 options.....I think

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:56:03 pm »
It's OK = I'm not bothered basically.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 07:42:11 pm »
I don't really care what it is called. As long as the actual system is cool, then whatever they name it will be alright.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:29:31 am »
I can't say that it's a good name, and I don't believing anyone honestly believes it is.  I've seen a lot of hardcore Nintendo fans try and say that it's all fine, but you know they're really crying inside.

But again, it doesn't really bother me what it's called.

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 12:51:11 am »
like it = it's grown on me. i personally can't wait to ask for one by name. so i guess that means i like it.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 09:07:01 am »
like it = it's grown on me.

Fungus does the same.

What amazes me is the fact that a company that barely has had an original thought for the last 25 years (Mario anyone?) Could come out of nowhere with such a offbeat name. Now if only they started being creative with their games..
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 09:47:16 am »
Oh yeah, like that really uninspired Wario Ware. Pff, seen that a million times already. Metroid Prime was such a rip-off too  ::)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 10:03:12 am »
Its weird because I can't remember one time that I ever cared about a product name. But with the Revolution rename then I've got some pretty strong opinions on it. I think it really has to do with three things.

1) Corporate BS: The name is so neo-marketing that its embarassing. Let's eliminate the popular name that made sense and replace it with a name that requires a pronunciation key and several paragraphs of description for people to understand. Contrary to what they want you to believe, a single syllable made up word with several international homonyms is not comparable with iPod or Google. And its pretty sad to see corporate mouthpeices so incapable of explaining the name that their only answer is "you'll get used to it".

2) Fanboys: How a consumer can love a company so much that they waste their free time blindly defending each product is impossible to understand. But here they are. And to watch these people fault the consumer for being "immature" when critiquing a made up word is just rediculous. Why the heck is it that these people can't understand that just because you dislike the name doesn't mean you dislike the system?

3) Momentum: The Revolution showed a ton of promise without even showing one game. Does anyone understand how amazing that is? So for the last 2 years they've grabbed potential customers with a perfect name and a brilliant concept and pretty much everyone was on the Revolution train. Then out of nowhere they spray Wii in our faces . As silly as it sounds, many people are much less excited for the "Wii" than they were for the "Revolution".  If Nintendo wanted to change the name then they shouldve killed the "Revolution" name before everyone embraced it.

Anyway, I've got my doubts about the Revolution, but I think if the price is right then its a no-brainer. But still, my choice for next generation is probably the DS Lite. I've loved my DS from launch but the Lite really looks to be the perfect machine for me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:18:51 am by mini.boss »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 11:00:17 am »
The results so far are interesting. It seems that the name haters just make up a really vocal minority.

How interesting.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 11:54:18 am »

Fungus does the same.

What amazes me is the fact that a company that barely has had an original thought for the last 25 years (Mario anyone?) Could come out of nowhere with such a offbeat name. Now if only they started being creative with their games..

You're saying this about the number one innovator in console gaming history? Nintendo is responsible for nearly everything this industry has, from the controllers to the type of games and across the board. And I find it strange when people bitch about Mario. Most 'franchises' don't retain their popularity as long as Mario and Zelda have; most fizzle out rather quickly. But I guarantee you that when a company finds a character of theirs that is more well-known than Mickey friggin' Mouse, they're going to utilize that character in as many things as possible. Give it time. So long as Halo 3 and Forerunner aren't dismal failures, Master Chief (or some incarnation of him) will be around for quite some time.

Twiggs

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 12:27:55 pm »
It doesn't matter what they call it.  I'll end up calling it soemthing else anyway.

Unless Nintendo is taps into my brain.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 12:29:39 pm by Twiggs »

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 03:28:10 pm »
The results so far are interesting. It seems that the name haters just make up a really vocal minority.

How interesting.

Look at the numbers! If its OK is neutral and above is positive and below is negative there are 12 negative to the 9 positive and there are more I hate the name! than I love the name!

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 03:40:35 pm »

How interesting.

Look at the numbers! If its OK is neutral and above is positive and below is negative there are 12 negative to the 9 positive and there are more I hate the name! than I love the name!

I counted "OK," because people who think it's OK don't complain about it.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 03:46:23 pm »

Fungus does the same.

What an odd thing to say.

The name is OK, but it's a bit weak and not very catchy somehow. It would be completely forgettable if it weren't for the connotations.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline Slavik

• Atari Combat Vet
  • The Count Of Boredomness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 07:23:05 pm »
It's just a name, and doesn't really reflect the potential of the actual system, despite its silliness/stupidness/suggestiveness, so hopefully this won't turn people off of the system before it even gets out. But still, it definitely isn't the best choice, at least for an American/European market.

Then out of nowhere they spray Wii in our faces.
Obviously, that made me laugh hysterically. Thank you.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 05:00:17 am »
All the hype from the name change (and especially people like you bitching about it) is giving it far more publicity. I really wouldn't have known or cared about the system at all had I not heard about the name change.

Offline Osiris

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 04:46:32 pm »
This is all I can say about this......deep down inside I cry because I feel Nintendo has let me down in some way by naming it "wii".

(sigh) so sad
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:18:48 pm by Osiris »

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 09:41:49 am »
You know, I didn't like it at first. Since I've been saying it for a few weeks, I'm over the initial shock. I think it's great that Nintendo has the intestinal fortitude to try something so radical. I mean it's better than the Gamecube, I can dig it. I be right back, I have to Wii.....

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 09:58:23 am »
I don't really care, but I am getting used to it.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

gec05

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 10:06:23 am »
Can we just drop this? :(

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 10:22:35 am »
Sure... I hated it, but now I honsetly dont care. Roll on the Wii, say I.

Offline Stryke

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That guy from Britain...
    • View Profile
    • Community HQ
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 07:51:07 pm »
Didn't like it at first, think it's fine now. Over time it'll just be accepted like any other console/product/company name.
Doubt i'd call it a Wii much when I own one though, I'll probably just end up calling it the 'Nintendo'.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 08:12:39 pm »
Didn't like it at first, think it's fine now. Over time it'll just be accepted like any other console/product/company name.
Doubt i'd call it a Wii much when I own one though, I'll probably just end up calling it the 'Nintendo'.

After my initial whining I thought i'd be over it by now bu I still dislike the name. That being said, the name is much less relevent than it was pre-E3 because now we actually have games to associate it with rather than just the mental image of people jumping on couches with a remote. And I think I may end up unintentionally just calling it "Nintendo" too. Its how I referred to the SNES back in the day.

As a sidenote, Sony shouldve taken Nintendo's strategy on announcement timing. Them announcing the price during the conference was a complete disaster and stole all potential thunder they had. The same couldve gone for Nintendo if they announced the "Wii" name at their conference. People wouldve been scratching their heads rather than paying attention to the actual tech demos.

Twiggs

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 08:43:05 pm »
I find myself calling it the Nintendo as well.  It's a name I know.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 07:46:36 am »
That being said

Its contagious!

With that being said, Ive got used to the name... its not great, but I dont hate it like i did when it was first announced.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 08:57:19 am »
That being said

Its contagious!

With that being said, Ive got used to the name... its not great, but I dont hate it like i did when it was first announced.

I don't hate it as much as I used to, but I find I either say it in a very loud, high-pitched way 'cause it's fun or I refer to it as the Nintendo. Revolution still slips out on occasion though, but I'm trying -- really trying -- to keep that from happening. Not sure if I'll succeed though; I still want to call it the Revolution.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 07:24:56 pm »
I heard on a podcast how Reggie now looks out of place due to the name change. The argument was that he was such a strong figure for the Revolution, but the moment he had to start saying "Wii" it just felt out of place.

It kinda is a good argument because, from a marketing standpoint, Reggie no longer is the personality that should be selling something with such a childish name to families. The persona he created was perfect for the console wars and for pushing the butt-kicking Revolution, but now that its Wii they need a softer touch for this family-friendly-super-happy-lucky-machine. A giant with eyes that can kill doesn't really cut it when you're trying to hula-hoop your way into someones living room.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:36:52 pm by mini.boss »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 01:06:14 am »
Hey Kids! Get your folks to buy you the Wii or Uncle Reggie will kick your ass!

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 01:42:30 am »
I can't wait for the topics.  "What colour Wii do you have"
I don't mind the name nearly as much as when I first heard it, but jokes like this are never going to end.

Offline acidic dot

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 12:58:03 am »
I hate the name.  In the end that doesn't change my opinion of the console one little bit, but I still hate the name.  I have gotten a little more used to it.  My friends and I still make Wii jokes though.  My personal favorite, "Is the black Wii-mote going to be bigger than the white one?"

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 04:11:27 pm »
This discussion has gotten really boring now, just accept the name, there is nothing you can do about it except wind your selves up by hating it.

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 10:01:22 pm »
It's been almost a month and my feeling is still "WTF?" I mean, does "wii" mean something in Japanese and no one's told us what it means yet?

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 10:36:22 pm »
Um... I don't think I need to say how I feel about the name. It's pretty obvious.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 02:43:23 am »
the more i think about this name , the more i think it is pure genius, it sets them apart from their competitors and its a nice name. . . . . . . its  cute
Never mind your own business.

Offline Sawmill

• Mystery House Madman
  • WoW
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 09:23:06 am »
ide say its cool, its unique and new
Hey i play Wow and i have many Char. on server name Norgannon alliance. ( US ), if you play on this server horde or alliance email me at gregroberts7@yahoo.com . see yea ingame!
Current level- 60 ( almost 61 )