Author Topic: Podcast questions?  (Read 11146 times)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
Re: Podcast questions?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 09:57:13 am »
Steve probably has some sort of way to warp time so that he gets around 35 hours in a day instead of the usual 24, that way he can play all the games.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 12:38:05 pm »
Steve, are you much of a pc game player? I'm just curious if we'll be seeing any reviews or quicktakes on some new/upcoming pc games. PC games tend to be pretty diverse, and of course I don't know what playstyle/genre you prefer, but I just thought I'd ask to hear your thoughts. ;)

I play everything including a lot of PC games. Right now I'm playing a fair amount of console games, but that is right after I played WOW for 2 months straight as well as Half Life 2, The Sims 2, City of Heroes, and few others. I pretty much play everything except Sports games, and that isn't because I don't like sports games. Rather I think sports games are much more fun to play with friends and other people than against the computer and most of my friends hate sports games. Hence, I don't get to play them that often.

I'll try to put in some quickttakes on some PC games as well.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 12:41:20 pm »
How can you play every game Steve!  You should consider getting some partners that could post reviews to games for you.  Not podcast reviews, but a whole new section on your site dedicated for reviews.  Your reviews are good but Google can't crawl through audio (yet) so it would get you some more traffic and plus, people could ree-read your reviews again without having to search the podcasts (which can take some time considering their length).

I would love to do that, and plan to, but right now I can't seem to find anyone who can/will review games for me. I had a few people lined up, but I am still waiting for their reviews to come in, so I either need to find some new/more people to do reviews or start yelling a bit more!

If people out there are interested in doing print reviews and have a review sample to send me please go ahead!

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 12:45:25 pm »
Steve probably has some sort of way to warp time so that he gets around 35 hours in a day instead of the usual 24, that way he can play all the games.

Actually, I don't play as much as you might think. Also, if you have noticed, that I have been reviewing games which can be finished in around 10-20 hours. Really huge games are going to be a problem in the future as I usually don't have enough time to review those. However, I don't think you'll be seeing many more of those games in the future since they are so much more expensive to make and a great 10-hour game will sell as well as a great 50-hour game. Hence, many companies are going the way of making shorter games.

Also there were studies made where it was shown that the "optimal" game length was 15-20 hours and only like 4% of the people who start a game finish it. Hence, they are making much shorter games, or making a shorter game with an online element to lengthen the play time.

And then there are games like GTA which go on forever...

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 01:01:07 pm »
Also there were studies made where it was shown that the "optimal" game length was 15-20 hours and only like 4% of the people who start a game finish it. Hence, they are making much shorter games, or making a shorter game with an online element to lengthen the play time.

I have mixed feelings about games being shorter these days. I know I don't always have the time to finish a huge huge game, but it's still nice to be able to have a game that can be played for a long long time. But then again, the pacing in a large game can be quite bad. Either the game levels out, and just stays the same difficulty for a long time, or it just keeps on ramping up the difficulty to an insane level. But I also really like to be able to spend a lot of time with a game. But maybe a shorter game with more replay value is the best thing. But I also like replay value that consists of interesting side quests, and other things. Collecting and harder difficulties don't appeal to me all that much.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 05:24:23 pm »
I can do some reviews, but not very many, because I don't buy that many games. I haven't done many game reviews, but I have done reviews of other things. A few of them are up on my site (although they're probably a bit... colorful...). If you need a review of Battlefield 2, Spore or Black & White 2 later on this year, I'll be willing to break away from them and send something in. Or I could do reviews of the hundreds of games I have laying around this desk that are sort of old. Oh, I do have a good review I did on The Sims 2 up on GameFAQs, right here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/R79153.html

I guess I gave it a higher score than I would now; that's when I was still sort of caught up in the game, and now I hardly play it. Sort of like with Evil Genius.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 08:37:05 pm »
If people out there are interested in doing print reviews and have a review sample to send me please go ahead!

So, Steve, what kind of reviews are you intersted in, exactly? I'm assuming ones that cover aspects that most other reviews on the web don't, as in your podcasts.

Also, are you mostly interested in reviews for the latest and greatest games? Or would you also like reviews for older games as well?

Anyway, I might be interested in doing some reviews. So I guess I could send in a sample, if that's all right.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 02:16:06 pm »
Sure you can send in a sample. I would probably prefer reviews of the "newer" games as that is what people are more interested in reading, but old games are okay as well. Hum, I have to think about this but anyone wants to review something let me know. Perhaps I can snag some review copies as well...

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 09:01:10 am »
What are you gonna do when a lot of (good) games come out? Evole six eyes and six arms?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!