Author Topic: Podcast questions?  (Read 11067 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Podcast questions?
« on: March 15, 2005, 11:26:17 pm »
If anyone has any questions about my podcasts or even podcasting in general this the place to ask!

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Mr.Heat

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Podcast questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:07:46 am »
Can someone, really not that talented in PC stuff, but not nessecrally bad at broadcasting, do podcasting as well?

And i just heard you 9/3/05 podcast, super intersting
Heat

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 02:28:20 pm »
Yes, there are a lot of sites out there right now which explain in fairly good detail how to create and post a podcast. Basically all you really need to do one is: a very good microphone, a microphone stand, a popper-stopper, a USB mixer if you want to record more than 1 sound source, a computer, a web site, and an RSS feed. That is what I would say is the "more expensive" way to podcast.

You can also just get a cheap microphone (I would recommend an USB mic as they work better with computers and sound a bit better), a computer, a web site and an RSS feed. It's really that simple ... in theory. ;D But it definately doesn't sound quite as good and if there is one thing that you will find out with podcasting is that there are a million ways to make audio sound bad, and just a few ways to make it sound good!

Right now podcasting is the super hot place to be and you will be seeing a lot of web sites in the next few months trying to make podcasting as easy as possible for people. Sort of what blogger did a few years ago. But I would recommend that you take some time to research it a bit more. I will be happy to answer any specific questions as I bought a ton of equipment, tried it out, it didn't work, and then I ended up returning it all and getting new equipment.

Here is a good place to start reading about podcasting: http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/02/podcasthow2/index.php

Offline Mr.Heat

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:48:22 am »
I'm really intersted in trying This....but it looks to complicated... >:(

EDIT: Ok, i got a question, when a podcast pro like you comes to make a new podcast, tell us the FULL Proccess...

Heat
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 05:38:46 am by Mr.Heat »

Offline Simman

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Loading....Loading Failed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 04:43:08 pm »
I'd be interested in hereing more about how you do podcasts as well.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:06:49 am »
Well, I just sort of learned how to do it on my own. When I have a bit more time I'll write it out in detail what I use (it's a lot, I have a "professional" setup). Here are a few good resources which I used:

http://radio.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2004/10/17/161695.html
http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/voicerecording.html
http://www.jakeludington.com/archives/000405.html

Offline Simman

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Loading....Loading Failed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 03:03:56 pm »
Thanks for the links. They really help.

I am acually thinking of doing podcasts for my site as well.

Offline Agent Zero

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Previously known as Agent Z
    • View Profile
    • Adventures of a Teenage Game Master
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 02:41:29 am »
The podcasts so far have all been excellent Steve and yours is currently the only podcast that I download regularly. Well done, keep up the good work.
And now - The questions:
How regularly will you post a new show and what games can we look forward to being reviewed in upcoming podcasts?
Quote from: Scipion
replayability ends where your imagination does...or when your computer stops working

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 02:32:17 pm »
How regularly will you post a new show and what games can we look forward to being reviewed in upcoming podcasts?

Hopefully once a week. I haven't gotten into a regular routine yet, so I'm not 100% sure when they will appear.

As for games to be reviewed ... not 100% sure actually. World of Warcraft will very soon, which I have been playing since pre-alpha(!), but after that ... who knows? Heh. I will probably be reviewing some PSP games in the near future since that's going to be all the talk. And I imagine that God of War will be reviewed shortly. But I expect to "mix it up" and review both brand new games as well as older games which people might have "forgotten" about. That actually always happens to me. I am so busy playing something that I forget about a good game I bought a few months ago.

But feel free to suggest any games you want reviewed. I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do.

Offline Syncmasterk

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 05:44:38 pm »
you should have a poll steve every week of games you've been playing and then we vote on the one we most want reviewed
I got my name from a computer monitor

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 12:00:58 am »
you should have a poll steve every week of games you've been playing and then we vote on the one we most want reviewed

Perhaps, I have a lot lined up, so it will be hard to take votes every week. But I will see what I can do.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 03:50:13 am »
Be sure and cover the whole spectrum of consoles, hand-helds, pcs, please.  ;D
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 11:10:20 am »
Be sure and cover the whole spectrum of consoles, hand-helds, pcs, please.  ;D

I will cover everything ... even cell phone games! (Been playing a lot of Scrabble on my cell phone, quite a bit of fun).

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 08:46:57 pm »
Steve, are you much of a pc game player? I'm just curious if we'll be seeing any reviews or quicktakes on some new/upcoming pc games. PC games tend to be pretty diverse, and of course I don't know what playstyle/genre you prefer, but I just thought I'd ask to hear your thoughts. ;)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 11:47:16 pm »
How can you play every game Steve!  You should consider getting some partners that could post reviews to games for you.  Not podcast reviews, but a whole new section on your site dedicated for reviews.  Your reviews are good but Google can't crawl through audio (yet) so it would get you some more traffic and plus, people could ree-read your reviews again without having to search the podcasts (which can take some time considering their length).

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 09:57:13 am »
Steve probably has some sort of way to warp time so that he gets around 35 hours in a day instead of the usual 24, that way he can play all the games.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 12:38:05 pm »
Steve, are you much of a pc game player? I'm just curious if we'll be seeing any reviews or quicktakes on some new/upcoming pc games. PC games tend to be pretty diverse, and of course I don't know what playstyle/genre you prefer, but I just thought I'd ask to hear your thoughts. ;)

I play everything including a lot of PC games. Right now I'm playing a fair amount of console games, but that is right after I played WOW for 2 months straight as well as Half Life 2, The Sims 2, City of Heroes, and few others. I pretty much play everything except Sports games, and that isn't because I don't like sports games. Rather I think sports games are much more fun to play with friends and other people than against the computer and most of my friends hate sports games. Hence, I don't get to play them that often.

I'll try to put in some quickttakes on some PC games as well.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 12:41:20 pm »
How can you play every game Steve!  You should consider getting some partners that could post reviews to games for you.  Not podcast reviews, but a whole new section on your site dedicated for reviews.  Your reviews are good but Google can't crawl through audio (yet) so it would get you some more traffic and plus, people could ree-read your reviews again without having to search the podcasts (which can take some time considering their length).

I would love to do that, and plan to, but right now I can't seem to find anyone who can/will review games for me. I had a few people lined up, but I am still waiting for their reviews to come in, so I either need to find some new/more people to do reviews or start yelling a bit more!

If people out there are interested in doing print reviews and have a review sample to send me please go ahead!

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 12:45:25 pm »
Steve probably has some sort of way to warp time so that he gets around 35 hours in a day instead of the usual 24, that way he can play all the games.

Actually, I don't play as much as you might think. Also, if you have noticed, that I have been reviewing games which can be finished in around 10-20 hours. Really huge games are going to be a problem in the future as I usually don't have enough time to review those. However, I don't think you'll be seeing many more of those games in the future since they are so much more expensive to make and a great 10-hour game will sell as well as a great 50-hour game. Hence, many companies are going the way of making shorter games.

Also there were studies made where it was shown that the "optimal" game length was 15-20 hours and only like 4% of the people who start a game finish it. Hence, they are making much shorter games, or making a shorter game with an online element to lengthen the play time.

And then there are games like GTA which go on forever...

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 01:01:07 pm »
Also there were studies made where it was shown that the "optimal" game length was 15-20 hours and only like 4% of the people who start a game finish it. Hence, they are making much shorter games, or making a shorter game with an online element to lengthen the play time.

I have mixed feelings about games being shorter these days. I know I don't always have the time to finish a huge huge game, but it's still nice to be able to have a game that can be played for a long long time. But then again, the pacing in a large game can be quite bad. Either the game levels out, and just stays the same difficulty for a long time, or it just keeps on ramping up the difficulty to an insane level. But I also really like to be able to spend a lot of time with a game. But maybe a shorter game with more replay value is the best thing. But I also like replay value that consists of interesting side quests, and other things. Collecting and harder difficulties don't appeal to me all that much.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 05:24:23 pm »
I can do some reviews, but not very many, because I don't buy that many games. I haven't done many game reviews, but I have done reviews of other things. A few of them are up on my site (although they're probably a bit... colorful...). If you need a review of Battlefield 2, Spore or Black & White 2 later on this year, I'll be willing to break away from them and send something in. Or I could do reviews of the hundreds of games I have laying around this desk that are sort of old. Oh, I do have a good review I did on The Sims 2 up on GameFAQs, right here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/R79153.html

I guess I gave it a higher score than I would now; that's when I was still sort of caught up in the game, and now I hardly play it. Sort of like with Evil Genius.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 08:37:05 pm »
If people out there are interested in doing print reviews and have a review sample to send me please go ahead!

So, Steve, what kind of reviews are you intersted in, exactly? I'm assuming ones that cover aspects that most other reviews on the web don't, as in your podcasts.

Also, are you mostly interested in reviews for the latest and greatest games? Or would you also like reviews for older games as well?

Anyway, I might be interested in doing some reviews. So I guess I could send in a sample, if that's all right.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 02:16:06 pm »
Sure you can send in a sample. I would probably prefer reviews of the "newer" games as that is what people are more interested in reading, but old games are okay as well. Hum, I have to think about this but anyone wants to review something let me know. Perhaps I can snag some review copies as well...

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 09:01:10 am »
What are you gonna do when a lot of (good) games come out? Evole six eyes and six arms?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!