Author Topic: Your first gaming experience!  (Read 7729 times)

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
Re: Your first gaming experience!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 04:46:01 pm »
My first gaming experience was Super Mario Bros. on the NES, which was probably about 10 years ago when I was about 3.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 10:20:36 pm »
The first game I ever played at length was in 1989, when I got my NES and Galaga.... but I quickly picked up the Zelda games and it was all downhill from there.

The experience was... mindblowing.  Never before had I so much control over anything.  Oddly enough, I had an old 8088 NCR computer collecting dust (I had ZERO interest in it).

More importantly was the following experience with my PC.  It was an EGA wonder... back then, I didin't even know how much RAM it had.  It came equipped with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.0....as well as a splattering of my Uncle's software and games.  In 1991, I fired it up and looked around.  It was an enigma compared to the Nintendo.  All you had to do when your NES screwed up was blow into the cartridge and it was good for another three months.  I had to call my Uncle and firuge out the basic DOS commands.  I learned the PC all by myself... I supposed the few weeks I spent running old CGA games that were akin to Pong in complexity was my first experience.  Imagine, however, being a young boy with a treasure trove of great stuff that NO ONE else in your immediate family had no idea existed.

I continued my hunt until I happened upon Space Quest.  It was an oooooold Sierra game that featured a space Janitor by the name of Roger Wilco.  I dodn't understand the humor at the time, but I proceeded to fire it up and play it.  It wasn't like the NES.... I actually had to TYPE to tell Roger what to do and where to go.  Like the Nintendo two years ago, I had unparalleled control.  I WAS Roger Wilco....but a poor one.  In my megamaniacal glee, I managed to kill Roger fairly quickly.... over and over and over.  Every time, I tried new things.  I didn't know how to save, so I go wasted constantly but spent DAYS playing Space Quest.

That's my story.  I learned of video gaming with the NES.  I learned the PC with Space Quest.  Here's the kicker though.

For cumulative knowledge and the most fruitful experience, I would have to say that my quest to play WILL WRIGHT'S SIMCITY 2000 had to take the cake.  Dad paid 60 dollars to buy it at Radio Shack (I still have the two 1.44mb floppies, with original Little Ceaser's pizza stain on disk 2).  Back then, I didn't know what minimum specs were, so I had a vastly underequipped computer.  No mouse.  No SVGA card.  No Sound Card.  No CDROM.  8mb RAM.  I spent weeks and into months finding out EVERYTHING about computers and what made them tick.  I never did get SC2K running on that computer (I inheireted a 486 later), but it taught me everything I knew about computers and set me on my path to "glory".  I graduated college with a Degree in Computer Engineering. 

So, Will Wright, if you're reading this.... YOU are responsible for me being who I am today.  If it weren't for your Godforsaken SimCity2000 and it's insane computer specs, I would have just been happy with consoles.  But NOOOOOOO!  So all in all.... Will has been there since I started computers and still, I drool over the stuff that he makes.  I think that should pass me as a fan.  If I ever got a chance to see him, I'd shake his hand and tell him that he's got at least one person who holds him as his personal role model.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 12:33:40 am »
The first games I remember playing are the original Mario and Duck Hunt. I was never the best at Mario, but I loved Duck Hunt. I remember always getting pissed at my cousin because he'd cheat by holding the gun against the screen, killing ducks whether he was aiming at them or not. ::)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner