Author Topic: Think Naming Revolution the Wii was a Mistake? Think Again!  (Read 8235 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Think Naming Revolution the Wii was a Mistake? Think Again!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 11:30:26 am »
I'm with Krakow. I hate the name for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do with the fact that it's slang for 'piss,' though I'm not naive enough or in denial enough to think that people out in the world will hear the name and think of it. And yes, that will affect the system's success. Mature, immature -- be as self-serving as you want to be, but the name is a mistake for a variety of reasons.

Not simply because of pee.

You haven't given us these reasons.

What are these reasons you speak of?

I would've thought the last paragraph in my post would have covered at least some of them. But I'll add one more: They knew it would get a negative response. And yet, they did it anyway. Krakow mentioned earlier that doing something you know is going to have negative consequences is a bad thing, and he's right. From a marketing standpoint, it's idiotic. You don't invite negative responses towards your product by bringing it out under a name that is a) impossible to know how to pronounce without someone telling you, b) could easily become confused with a common pronoun that English speakers use daily dozens of times at least, c) could be misconstrued by the younger set as slang for 'piss,' and d) has to be explained via an entire additional paragraph which defies the fact that it was meant to be simple and short. Plus, it's not like Yahoo, Google, or I-Pod -- as those are all phonetically fun to say. 'Wee' is just 'we' with a different spelling which works wonderfully from an advertising standpoint for print but not so well in speech.

So yes, I have some problems with it. Do I think it's a death-rattle? No. But I certainly don't think it's going to help their position one iota.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 04:20:53 pm »
The name Wii isnt going to hurt Nintendo. If Nintendo knew it would hurt their sales, than why did they do it?

I have read numorous posts on the IGN blogs, of people who have shown the "Wii video" to their parents, sisters, girlfriends, ect., and I have yet to come across one where the persons reaction was anything but enthrilled. We have all gotten over the shocking new name by now I'd hope, and naming the console Wii is a brilliant marketing move by Nintendo.

FYI: For Nintendo to officially name the Wii, they needed approvel from Nintendo of Japan, America, and Europe, so claiming that Nintendo of Japan solely made the name is nonsense.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 04:57:37 pm »
I used to be a member of the Nintendo cult but after their poor showing with the Gamecube my faith was shaken. Now with this whole Wii fiasco I'm officially dumping the Koolaid.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 05:01:04 pm »
Am I the only one who thought the name was more like;

"Wheeee!!!! It's so much fun."

You know the sound about 98% of children make while on a swing set?

"Wheeee!!!"

It wasn't until I started seeing the reactions to it that I even remembered some people reffer to peni and urine with that name. I don't know maybe because both my parents and my sibbling didn't put up with that stupid baby crap. First time my cousin came over and called feces "kaka." He felt the brunt end of my "W - T - F are you 3?" stare.

Even if Nintendo changes the name, the amount of free publicity they have gotten is astronomical. There isn't a SINGLE game sit eon the internet that hasn't said something about the Wii.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 06:16:56 pm »
Am I the only one who thought the name was more like;

"Wheeee!!!! It's so much fun."

You know the sound about 98% of children make while on a swing set?

"Wheeee!!!"

It wasn't until I started seeing the reactions to it that I even remembered some people reffer to peni and urine with that name. I don't know maybe because both my parents and my sibbling didn't put up with that stupid baby crap. First time my cousin came over and called feces "kaka." He felt the brunt end of my "W - T - F are you 3?" stare.

Even if Nintendo changes the name, the amount of free publicity they have gotten is astronomical. There isn't a SINGLE game sit eon the internet that hasn't said something about the Wii.

Game sites would have mentioned the renaming regardless. Its the "word of mouth" that has been free, if it was named something more mundane, they would not have gotten nearly the chatter about it that they have been receiving, excepts fans would have missed the name "revolution".

Maturity is not measured by what jokes you make. It is not a factor at all. Maturity is a measurement of self control and mediation, mastery over base instincts. Comedy is a high level brain function, which is mediated by other self conscious functions, what Freud would have called the Super-Ego.

It isn't that people refer to the a penis and urine as wee, but that a joke can be made at the consoles expense because of that subliminal link.  Remember that in America their brand name is commonly associated with children market, and that younger teens and kids make up a significant portion of that market.

Now, remember that kids are cruel, impressionable, and deliberate. Maturity(Self control and mediation) is rare in children. They will therefore not only make the connection between Wii and "wee" but could also ridicule anyone will own it. Other kids, witnessing the ridicule, will make another connection that will drastically effect Nintendo: Wii=Uncool.

In that light, Nintendo may have shot themselves in the foot.

Of course, the solution to this is obvious, internet connectivity. If they have this for the Wii (I can't remember) then those ridiculed kids will be able to quickly connect to the internet and make new friends, and the next generation of nerds will arrive a new subculture will be created. ;)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 06:41:03 pm »
Oh you guys are just fan boys and would like it know matter what they called it  :P

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 06:52:29 pm »
I used to be a member of the Nintendo cult but after their poor showing with the Gamecube my faith was shaken. Now with this whole Wii fiasco I'm officially dumping the Koolaid.

So you're not buying a Wii because you don't like the name of the system? That is perhaps one of the stupidest things I've ever heard (No offense)

Oh well, its your loss. Your going to be missing out on some great games, all because you don't like the name. ::)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 07:02:32 pm »

So you're not buying a Wii because you don't like the name of the system? That is perhaps one of the stupidest things I've ever heard (No offense)

Oh well, its your loss. Your going to be missing out on some great games, all because you don't like the name. ::)

I think he is a little more exasperated with Nintendo's seeming senility rather than the name change specifically.

Nintendo is a 107 years old, after all.*

*"Nintendo was established in 1889 by Fusajiro Yamaguchi to manufacture and distribute Japanese playing cards known as Hanafuda."
--Jeanie Novak,Game Development Essentials

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 08:54:41 pm »
I hate the name for pretty much all reasons mentioned above. I've made that clear I say do as I do tell people that you wish by a Nintendo Revolution call it only a Nintendo Revolution stare daggers at anyone who tries to correct you.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 09:02:27 pm »
I have a friend who kept telling me how awesome "Wii" was, and he kept telling me over, and over. I emailed him that conspiracy website, and he hasn't said much anymore.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 09:28:41 pm »
I hate the name for pretty much all reasons mentioned above. I've made that clear I say do as I do tell people that you wish by a Nintendo Revolution call it only a Nintendo Revolution stare daggers at anyone who tries to correct you.

Periods are your friend.  ;)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 09:49:41 pm »

Periods are your friend.  ;)

Then why do they keep stealing my lunch money?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 06:09:24 am »
The name Wii isnt going to hurt Nintendo. If Nintendo knew it would hurt their sales, than why did they do it?
Nintendo has done many things throughout its history that has hurt their sales. This is the same company that thought the Virtual Boy was a brilliant notion, remember? A little testing would have of course shown that maybe it wasn't so hot, but it doesn't seem as if they did that. As innovative as Nintendo is, and I'm not denying their brilliance in many cases, they often do some incredibly ridiculous things that don't pan out well.
FYI: For Nintendo to officially name the Wii, they needed approvel from Nintendo of Japan, America, and Europe, so claiming that Nintendo of Japan solely made the name is nonsense.
I'd like to see proof of that. NOJ has always called the shots. Sure, the others may have gotten a chance to provide their two cents, but the odds of them having any actual power over the decision is next to nil based on what I've learned about Nintendo. Reading through the history of the company, it becomes very clear that Nintendo of Japan is the ringleader; the rest merely dole out company policy and do what they can to support its ideas.

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 10:43:23 am »
so, i've told people i know that revolution is now called wii. non of them have expressed that it reminds them of urine or whatever. some have looked at me with a "what? why?" look on their face, then chuckled. others have laughed right out and said "weeeeeee!"

so here's what i think. i think the internet is immature. i think the internet is quick to post something then spread that info around. as proof: there was that cell phone "gaming system" which i don't even know the name of anymore. i just remember the jokes, immature as they were, that it was a taco phone, or something. yeah, the taco idea was spawned by someone who thought they were clever. they posted a pic and a meme took off.

why? because mockery is easier than actually finding things wrong with a system. sure, that cell phone acting like a handheld game system was full of it. but mocking it was just ten times as effective to put it down than anything else. this is like how people refered to the gamecube as the lamecube, or a kiddie system. again, internet spawned ideasm

so now we see what the systems are going for, or betting on. ps3 and xbox360 are moving in the direction of powerhouse. they revel that their game looks more like the real thing. they will sell units for this alone.
the wii is betting that people will like the odd games. they might not be the prettiest, but they will be fun to play. how many here love games like katamari? that game is not reliant on "realistic" graphics. it's the antithesis of that, but it has a cohesive style and gameplay to boot.

this doesn't mean that wii chose correctly. nor does it mean the ps3 and xbox360 have it correct either. what it means is there is a choice, greater than their was before. people can buy what they want, and buy based on their opinions. in fact, there will be people who will buy none of these, they rather spend their money on their totally other hobbies.

as one last point, wii is a revolution. in this case it's a "sudden or momentous change in a situation." it's not only a revolution to the gaming industry, it's a naming revolution as well.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 10:59:57 am »
so, i've told people i know that revolution is now called wii. non of them have expressed that it reminds them of urine or whatever. some have looked at me with a "what? why?" look on their face, then chuckled. others have laughed right out and said "weeeeeee!"

so here's what i think. i think the internet is immature. i think the internet is quick to post something then spread that info around. as proof: there was that cell phone "gaming system" which i don't even know the name of anymore. i just remember the jokes, immature as they were, that it was a taco phone, or something. yeah, the taco idea was spawned by someone who thought they were clever. they posted a pic and a meme took off.

why? because mockery is easier than actually finding things wrong with a system. sure, that cell phone acting like a handheld game system was full of it. but mocking it was just ten times as effective to put it down than anything else. this is like how people refered to the gamecube as the lamecube, or a kiddie system. again, internet spawned ideasm

so now we see what the systems are going for, or betting on. ps3 and xbox360 are moving in the direction of powerhouse. they revel that their game looks more like the real thing. they will sell units for this alone.
the wii is betting that people will like the odd games. they might not be the prettiest, but they will be fun to play. how many here love games like katamari? that game is not reliant on "realistic" graphics. it's the antithesis of that, but it has a cohesive style and gameplay to boot.

this doesn't mean that wii chose correctly. nor does it mean the ps3 and xbox360 have it correct either. what it means is there is a choice, greater than their was before. people can buy what they want, and buy based on their opinions. in fact, there will be people who will buy none of these, they rather spend their money on their totally other hobbies.

as one last point, wii is a revolution. in this case it's a "sudden or momentous change in a situation." it's not only a revolution to the gaming industry, it's a naming revolution as well.
Nobody is mocking it, its doing a good enough job of that itself.
No, mockery would be somewhere along the lines of "Ha ha! Gaycube... heh heh! Gay! Gaypube!" etc (or lamecube, even). What everyone is doing with the Wii is more along the lines of "Oh my god. They crapped up royal".
This isnt just kids and fanboys and losers. Professionals and industry insiders are expressing deep dissatisfaction with this utter train wreck of a name. No-one is bashing the system, or making fun of the name out of (Sony or Microsoft) fanboyism. The very fact that so many people (even if you think they are some sort of immature baby-people) dont like the name is good enough reason for it to be withdrawn, or revealed as a hoax (please, please!).
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.