Author Topic: The creature editor is probably not going to happen.  (Read 6136 times)

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
The creature editor is probably not going to happen.
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:09:34 pm »
Tney are not going to release the creature editor. Since this make up a huge portion of the game in which you design and test your creature (the creature stage, many people's favorite stae already) then it would just suck. It's not eh same as releasing the Sims editor early; It would like releasing a sims editor where you could edit your sims skills, job, relationships, and memories. Or releasting an AoE editor where you could design your towns, researched techs, resources, and all the in game stuff and then just lay it down like a footprint. It would also not make much sense to release a creature editor for the in game NPC content, since that would defeat the purpose of the whole pollination system. Instead of having othe players content, they would be encouraging that you play in your own little wourld of just you, you, you. Since designing your creature is such an in depth and ongoing game process, i think that it would ruin a huge part of the game.

btw, the plant editor is fine.

The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Re: The creature editor is probably not going to happen.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:19:19 pm »
There is a spell check button *points*

Ultimately you aren't in control of the software. This post would have been more appropiate in an existing thread discussing these issues.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:21:53 pm »

I didn't see many errors.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 08:29:21 pm »
It would also not make much sense to release a creature editor for the in game NPC content, since that would defeat the purpose of the whole pollination system. Instead of having othe players content, they would be encouraging that you play in your own little wourld of just you, you, you.

If they were to release a creature editor, the creatures that people made would be uploaded to their pollination servers, not just kept on your local machine.

Anyway, there's no point in speculating about the release of a creature editor now, because if it does happen, it won't be until much, much closer to release. They won't release an editor until the final version of that editor has been completed. And to be honest, I think they would rather keep adding to the editors until the last minute. So if it is released early, it'll only be a few weeks before the release.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:39:35 pm »
and in one week we'll all know for sure whether or not a creature editor will be released and we might even have a release date to go with it.

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:10:17 am »
And you know this because you are working on Spore?

My guess is that is not true but I am willing to accept I am wrong ;)

I know next to nothing about programming and software development but I do know enough from experience that there is nothing stopping them from releasing a demo / editor or what ever you want to call it which has limited functionality. Lots of games have had cut down versions / demos released that gave you a taste without giving too much away and I am sure they can do the same with Spore.

Offline Darklord

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 08:50:51 am »
I was thinking the same, like releasing the editor with half or some of the options, but not the full editor

werechicken

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 09:03:13 am »
or they could just release the full editor textures and all, but you can't see how it moves, and have a very limited number of 'points' (remember that it works on a point based system at least until the UFO stage, then I'm not so sure)

Offline hawkeye41

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:11:46 am »
I emailed Will a couple of days ago suggesting this, and he sent a email back saying "That's already our plan."  Then I asked him when It might be released and he said "Don't know yet."

None of this means that it is going to come out, it really just means they are thinking about it.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:21:20 am »
I emailed Will a couple of days ago suggesting this, and he sent a email back saying "That's already our plan." Then I asked him when It might be released and he said "Don't know yet."

None of this means that it is going to come out, it really just means they are thinking about it.

Could we see this email?  Since he isn't really replying to most emails at this point, it might be useful to see what you wrote and he said.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Charles Darwin

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 10:23:26 am »

Ultimately you aren't in control of the software. This post would have been more appropiate in an existing thread discussing these issues.

Wow dude, chill out.

Offline hawkeye41

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 10:39:32 am »
Could we see this email?  Since he isn't really replying to most emails at this point, it might be useful to see what you wrote and he said.

Ok, ll try to get it on here.

Offline hawkeye41

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 10:46:14 am »
Ok here we go.  Sorry if its kind of hard to read or doesn't make sence... I hate English. lol

Hey Will,

Let me just start by saying, Spore looks amazing!  I only just learned about it a couple of weeks ago, and when I saw your GDC 05 video I was in awe.  I can't wait for this game to come out, but take your time because that will just make it more amazing.  Anyways, the reason I really sent this email, other than confirming how amazing this game looks, is I think you should release the creature editor sometime before the game comes out.  There are two reasons for this.  One reason is that people will have fun with it and get to create the perfect creatures for their game so it's ready when they come home with the game.  The second reason is this can create that database of creatures that comes with the game for you.  What do you think?

Can't wait for E3, I won't be there but I'll come home from school and read every article I can find on spore.

Thanks for taking the time to read my email

-Craig
-----------------------
Craig,

That's already our plan.

-Will
-----------------------
Will,

Sorry if this is asking too much, but could you tell me when you might be releasing the editor?

thanks
-Craig.
---------------------
Don't know yet.
------------------------
Ok, thanks again Will.

There isn't really much info here, but oh well.  I can't post again untill about 8 pm pst because of school, sports and other things.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 11:14:50 am »
Oooh, great :)

It's always been inferred that they would do this, as they did with Sims 2, but I think that's the most concrete evidence so far (if it's real ;)).

Having said that, sometimes the best-laid plans go to waste.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 01:11:46 pm »
Hehe, you just emailed him and he responded?

Wright is the man. well, this is some good news :)

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site