Author Topic: The Orkulo  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
The Orkulo
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:42:22 am »
The Orkulo

Before and after becoming sentient, respectively (not that good drawings, I'm not that good at drawing...) (click for full size) :

Non-sentient
The non-sentient Orkulo had no eyes, because the planet they lived on was then rather far away from their sun, so the planet was too dark for eyes to be useful. They relied more on their large ears, and their 4 nostrils, 2 on each head. The two heads were equally developed. The, rather small, brain was in neither of the heads, it was actually inside the belly. The mouth was on the bottom of the belly, to be able to eat grass and plants while still being able to look around for danger. Because it had two heads it could see almost everything around it, but they couldn't move that fast, so they were still often caught by the predators of the planet.
Their skin was dark brown, almost black, to catch as much heat of the sun as possible.

Becoming sentient
They were almost going extinct when a big asteroid hit the planet, and the force of the collision was big enough to push the homeplanet of the Orkulo in an orbit closer to their sun. The Orkulo survived the changed natural circumstances because it adapted faster then the predator of the planet. At this moment the Orkulo started to grow bigger, their skincolor got a little lighter, they got two legs extra to support their grown body, and they developed two eyes on each of their two heads, one big eye that they use when they focus their on that head, and a small one to still be able to see the other way while not being bothered by that image too much. Their 'active' head uses both eyes, to get some depth perception.
Because the predator developed too, the Orkulo started developing a bigger brain, until it finally became sentient. Their two middle legs eventually started to develop thumbs, and they started using their two middle legs to hold things.

Society
Because the Orkulo ar herbivorous, botanists are important people in Orkulo society. Orkulo live peacefully. They only get somewhat violent when there is a food shortage, and then they only threaten and push a little with their bodies.
The Orkulo call the change of the planet's orbit 'The Descent', and they see it as an act of a higher power. They haven't developed a religion yet, but when they do, it will certainly be based on The Descent.

Communication
Orkulo communicate by making noises with their nostrils. They have the same control over their nostrils as humans have over their mouth, but Orkulo lack vocal chords to make words as we know them. But because Orkulo have such large ears, they can hear slight differences in the air output of the nostril, so they still have an extensive language.

If somebody can make better, maybe colored, drawings of the Orkulo, it will be highly appreciated

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: The Orkulo
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 12:47:25 pm »
I like the design. Reminds me of Pink Panther for some reason... pretty original though.

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:49:25 pm »
Sorta like a daschund...
Yes. Of course.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 12:28:13 am »
I like the design. Reminds me of Pink Panther for some reason... pretty original though.
Thanks :) But I don't really see the likeness with Pink Panther though...

Sorta like a daschund...
Except that the Orkulo is bigger, almost the size of a cow on Earth, that it has different ears, that the Orkulo is herbivorous, has different eyes and two heads ;)  :P

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:01:49 am »
It's a two headed weener dog!
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.