Author Topic: How will your creatures evolve?  (Read 3392 times)

7 who ate 9

How will your creatures evolve?
« on: April 29, 2006, 11:43:18 am »
In the 2005 presentation Will talks about the different stages of the game, and people still talk about that today, but how do they transfer over? I mean, do you think you will just be playing in creature stage then suddenly you are in a tribe? Or do you first need to meet people, and gather tools to make the huts and items? Before you can make religion and items in the city do you first need to explore? Look at other games, in the Nintengdogs before you could do tricks you needed to learn them by just playing around. Mabye that could be used in Spore, just play around until you learn something, then you can use that information later.  Mabye in order to get more people in you tribe/city you must preswade them with better religions.  If you want your creature to invent something your creature first must run into a problem, a reason to invent. What do you think?

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
Re: How will your creatures evolve?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 12:25:52 pm »
Hmmm......from the concepts I've seen on this very site, it seems that the planned way of recruiting tribesfolk (though it doesn't confirm if you start off as one being or a group that gradually grows; maybe more on that side of things at E3) is by musical instruments and banners and things. I'm referring of course to the simple stick-figure-like dinosuars who gradually improve their tribal paraphenalia as the diagram goes on.

Whether inventions are pro- or reactive, I'm not sure. We'll have to see. Often inventions can be things a race doesn't necessarily 'need' (for exmaple, mankind existed before the telephone as it's not necessary for survival), yet to get to certain stages invention will be necessary (for example, tribal man, and therefore everything afterwards up to today, could not have developed without fire). So inventing things like fire would be necessary, so the 'need' is there to inspire the invention.

But as aforementioned, some things don't 'need' to be invented, so they may be things that are dreamed up rather than born from necessity. It'll be interesting to see how and when the game implements either, both or none of what I've just said.  ;D
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:15:55 pm »
In the 2005 presentation Will talks about the different stages of the game, and people still talk about that today, but how do they transfer over? I mean, do you think you will just be playing in creature stage then suddenly you are in a tribe?

Microbe - the more upgrades to the micro the bigger it gets, the further the camera zooms out. I'm thinking it just keeps zooming out til you realise you're in the ocean and all the green pellets are just too small for you to see.

Creature - Once you upgrade the brain to the highest level, aka sapience, you're in tribal. I doubt you'll need to build the first hut and gather the first tribes people...while we've only seemingly controlled one organsm to date, its no so, the egg/editting represents several generations. I mean you and your species arent going to grow a set of perfectly functioning legs from flippers or an extra limb in one generation. So I wouldnt be too surprised if it were like the demonstration, although much slower since we'd have to earn the points to upgrade.

Tribal - upgrade of the hut to highest level.
tangent, I actually wanna know if theres an editor for the tools, I mean the hut would have one, but is everyone going to have the same tools?

Civ - UFO and upgrades to it

I dont think they'll be super smooth transitions due to the generational steps.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 04:21:36 pm »
In the 2005 presentation Will talks about the different stages of the game, and people still talk about that today, but how do they transfer over? I mean, do you think you will just be playing in creature stage then suddenly you are in a tribe?

Microbe - the more upgrades to the micro the bigger it gets, the further the camera zooms out. I'm thinking it just keeps zooming out til you realise you're in the ocean and all the green pellets are just too small for you to see.

Creature - Once you upgrade the brain to the highest level, aka sapience, you're in tribal. I doubt you'll need to build the first hut and gather the first tribes people...while we've only seemingly controlled one organsm to date, its no so, the egg/editting represents several generations. I mean you and your species arent going to grow a set of perfectly functioning legs from flippers or an extra limb in one generation. So I wouldnt be too surprised if it were like the demonstration, although much slower since we'd have to earn the points to upgrade.

Tribal - upgrade of the hut to highest level.
tangent, I actually wanna know if theres an editor for the tools, I mean the hut would have one, but is everyone going to have the same tools?

Civ - UFO and upgrades to it

I dont think they'll be super smooth transitions due to the generational steps.

I agree, it's mostly likely just going to jump to the next stage, just like it jumps when your species evolves.

Also, I'll bet the tools will have editors. It would be silly for everything else to be completely customizable except for the tools.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 04:22:53 pm »
tangent, I actually wanna know if theres an editor for the tools
There is.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 04:41:11 pm by Samog »
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline named

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Wake me up in the Fall.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 04:31:13 pm »
if you paid attention in the demo, you upgrade your brain to the highest level to begin tribal mode

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 04:40:44 pm »
The stage jumping will most likely be correlated to the amount of eggs you've utilized in the microbe, aquatic, and creature stages. In the video, the only way to reach the next generation is to click the egg. So you should be able to entirely ignore the egg and jump to the next step when you're ready...

But yeah, I guess the first few stages won't jump, but rather gradually come to existence...

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 06:25:11 pm »
tangent, I actually wanna know if theres an editor for the tools
There is.

Thank heavens for that :D

*downloads* only 2 hours to go...hurray for dial up!
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 07:52:50 am »
Hmmm......from the concepts I've seen on this very site, it seems that the planned way of recruiting tribesfolk (though it doesn't confirm if you start off as one being or a group that gradually grows; maybe more on that side of things at E3) is by musical instruments and banners and things. I'm referring of course to the simple stick-figure-like dinosuars who gradually improve their tribal paraphenalia as the diagram goes on.

Whether inventions are pro- or reactive, I'm not sure. We'll have to see. Often inventions can be things a race doesn't necessarily 'need' (for exmaple, mankind existed before the telephone as it's not necessary for survival), yet to get to certain stages invention will be necessary (for example, tribal man, and therefore everything afterwards up to today, could not have developed without fire). So inventing things like fire would be necessary, so the 'need' is there to inspire the invention.

But as aforementioned, some things don't 'need' to be invented, so they may be things that are dreamed up rather than born from necessity. It'll be interesting to see how and when the game implements either, both or none of what I've just said. ;D
I think theer should be necessities to develop further, but they should vary from race to race. A furred race that resists cold, and is used to eat raw meat, does not need fire. Now they might need the wheel however because they are slow and want to move faster. you see what i mean?
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 11:47:36 am »

But as aforementioned, some things don't 'need' to be invented, so they may be things that are dreamed up rather than born from necessity. It'll be interesting to see how and when the game implements either, both or none of what I've just said.  ;D
I think theer should be necessities to develop further, but they should vary from race to race. A furred race that resists cold, and is used to eat raw meat, does not need fire. Now they might need the wheel however because they are slow and want to move faster. you see what i mean?

But they would still need fire to cook and, more importantly, to reach an industrial age level of technology. But if they were furry and resistant to cold, then they probably live in the arctic, which means it's extremely unlikely that they would ever discover fire, unless they were to migrate to warmer climates. But if their entire planet is ice and snow, then they would never discover fire and advance technologically. Which means that, if this game were trying to be super realistic, then an arctic species wouldn't be able to reach galactic mode. But luckily, this game is not about being super realistic, it's about being fun and encouraging creativity, which is why things like discovering fire and such probably won't be requirements to advance to the next stage. It's most likely going to jump ahead to the next stage when you meet the requirements. But Will Wright did say that you can spend as much time as you want in any of the stages, allowing you to progress at your own pace. So you can probably choose to ignore an egg until later, or put off the upgrading of your hut until you want to advance, etc.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 12:20:41 pm »
to be honest, i will just have my planned slocus creature and a second "save" where i just evolve my creature with "he needs to be faster, so i'll give him longer legs, he need better weapons because he can't fight good enough so i'll give him claws etc etc etc
Never mind your own business.

7 who ate 9

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 02:49:51 pm »

But as aforementioned, some things don't 'need' to be invented, so they may be things that are dreamed up rather than born from necessity. It'll be interesting to see how and when the game implements either, both or none of what I've just said. ;D

By inventing i ment, do you think we will just get every thing out of the catolog? In the demo in tribal stage, he doesn't show earning the hut or items, he just gets them. I want to earn my things. Before being able to mkae wepons i want to learn about them, learn how to make them, learn how to build huts and base it on reliogion, etc.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 02:55:58 pm »

By inventing i ment, do you think we will just get every thing out of the catolog? In the demo in tribal stage, he doesn't show earning the hut or items, he just gets them. I want to earn my things. Before being able to mkae wepons i want to learn about them, learn how to make them, learn how to build huts and base it on reliogion, etc.

Yeah, the game he was using was made up of a series of saves and apparently, cheats. He had lots of points, everything unlocked, and ran through the game in 30 minutes...

I guess you'll earn "enhancements" via gathering food points or something...

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site