Author Topic: PS3 is the new PC  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 is the new PC
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 10:58:28 am »

wy would i buy a ps3 when i can buy a comp from 2000 that costs like, 400-500 dollars, get it firefox, and buy a wii and STILL have it cheaper with most of the features. :-\

But, Aname ... what would you do without Riiiiidge Racer!?
Its for the PSP... which is also a waste of money. Riiidge Racer! Sold their souls to the devil. No-one will ever play those games again.

...giant enemy crab...
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 03:20:37 pm »
Harrison also said that the PS3 controller's motion sensitivity was not a reaction to the Wii, and I have already forgiven him.
"In a certain way, I understand why people would say [such things], but it is stupid, if you'll forgive me saying so," said Harrison.

Massive damage control...

(I hate that term but i wanted to make a funny) how could he say he thinks it stupid that people would think that it was a responce to Nintendo when no publisher knew about the function except the warhawk folks but even they only had two weeks to get it into the demo. I could believe Sony only if they had any other demo's besides warhawk at E3. I saw a interview on 1up's 1up show with the creator of Metal Gear Solid and he was saying that he didn't know about it and now he has to find a way to work it into his game. Sony fans should pray that they won't force tilt into MGS4.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 03:28:18 pm »
People in Japan dont use the internet nearly as much as Western and other Asian Nations do, because their internet connectivity is controlled by a Monopoly, who charges extreme prices for connection. Which is why arcade, console, and handheld mobile games are popular there. Without cheap access to the internet, computers are only expensive typewriters to the Japanese. They do play single player computer games sometimes, but look at even the American gaming market, with MMO's the total combined earnings of our PC gaming market would be insignificant compared to consoles. This is just an explaination of Sony's reasoning, not a defence of their naive notions of being the death nail of PC gaming.

There are, in fact, many analysts saying that PC gaming is on the verge of a comeback, with several innovations coming within a few years to make building and upgrading a PC a snap, and checking compatability as simple as a "greater than" or "less than" comparison. ;)

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 04:39:32 pm »

wy would i buy a ps3 when i can buy a comp from 2000 that costs like, 400-500 dollars, get it firefox, and buy a wii and STILL have it cheaper with most of the features. :-\

But, Aname ... what would you do without Riiiiidge Racer!?

Oh there are plenty of ways to play "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer! (waits for applause during awkward silence)" on a pc ;)

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 05:17:20 pm »
Know what else this reminds me of? A while back, playstation said that the PS-P was never designed to be played on the move, and that not many people wanted to play games outside etc.
Thats basicly saying that a PS-P is PS-p-ointless, and that it's basicly just a very small console.

Strikes me as odd that playstaion OBVIOUSLY have the technology to put exactly the same technology in their consoles into a small case, so why bother with the great, hulking ps3?

I swear, playstation have screwed up a-lot latly...

One thing I will allways remember is that the playstation is built prodominatly off stealing. Heck, if it wern't for nintendo's failed attempts at a CD ad-on for the N64, playstations wouldn't exist...

Offline Faxanadu ELC

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That rug really tied the room together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:43 pm »
I hate what the console wars are about now. It used to be all about the games. Now, its all about Blu-ray and all of these techno media features nobody cares about.

I feel like Sony is just using Playstation 3 to carry Blu-ray into homes. Sony cares more about Blu-ray than it does about its new console.

Of course that's what they're doing. Blu-Ray wins, Sony rakes in billions on licensing fees. They just have to sit there ... and count money. If it fails, however ... Sony fanboys better start finding a new company to endorse, 'cause the console wars might have one less competitor next go-around.

And everything I've heard points to all PS3 games being on Blu-ray, which will cause longer load times than the 12x DVD-ROM in the 360. Unless the PS3 launches with a 4x Blu-Ray drive, which doesn't seem likely.

Another thing that is interesting is the fact that the 1080p resolution that Sony is boasting about is not even an accepted standard. Currently there are no video cables capable of carrying a signal of 1080p at 60 frames per second due to a lack of bandwidth.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 12:08:16 pm »
Another thing that is interesting is the fact that the 1080p resolution that Sony is boasting about is not even an accepted standard. Currently there are no video cables capable of carrying a signal of 1080p at 60 frames per second due to a lack of bandwidth.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136786.html

Don't you mean 120 frames per second?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 12:50:19 pm »
I know! Let's give our consoles a feature that's physically impossible to use, and charge extra for it! Genius!

dotdotdot
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2006, 01:14:00 pm »
Not to mention that the human eye can't perceive framerate differences above 60fps.  ::)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2006, 01:54:09 pm »
So let's make something that's impossible to use, and completely pointless even if you could use it.

****in' genius. Absolute ****in' genius.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2006, 02:10:06 pm »
People in Japan dont use the internet nearly as much as Western and other Asian Nations do, because their internet connectivity is controlled by a Monopoly, who charges extreme prices for connection. Which is why arcade, console, and handheld mobile games are popular there. Without cheap access to the internet, computers are only expensive typewriters to the Japanese. They do play single player computer games sometimes, but look at even the American gaming market, with MMO's the total combined earnings of our PC gaming market would be insignificant compared to consoles. This is just an explaination of Sony's reasoning, not a defence of their naive notions of being the death nail of PC gaming.

I get that. But to not take into consideration how the rest of the world utilizes PCs when Harrison makes such an idiotic statement as that simply proves that Harrison, and Sony by extention, has no friggin' clue who their potential customers are.

There are, in fact, many analysts saying that PC gaming is on the verge of a comeback, with several innovations coming within a few years to make building and upgrading a PC a snap, and checking compatability as simple as a "greater than" or "less than" comparison. ;)

SPORE, alone, should revive PC gaming. The rest is great, but nothing -- nothing -- beats the hyper insane frenzy I experience just thinking about that game.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 02:14:35 pm »
So let's make something that's impossible to use, and completely pointless even if you could use it.

****in' genius. Absolute ****in' genius.
Theyre trying to expand into the alien market.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

werechicken

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2006, 02:35:07 pm »
they're trying to go beyond a conventional business model, and by conventional I mean sane, and by sane I mean not charging 400 for a F***ing games console, and by a F***ing games console I mean a piece of crap that has taken pre-existing ideas and improved on them slightly and called it a revolutionary system, and by improved on slightly I mean it has slightly better graphics and bugger all else.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 02:36:00 pm »

I get that. But to not take into consideration how the rest of the world utilizes PCs when Harrison makes such an idiotic statement as that simply proves that Harrison, and Sony by extention, has no friggin' clue who their potential customers are.

SPORE, alone, should revive PC gaming. The rest is great, but nothing -- nothing -- beats the hyper insane frenzy I experience just thinking about that game.

You do realise that it will be put out on all consoles and handhelds, too?
Yes, it is likly to be a repeat of sims, where the console version flat-out-sucks, but still, people won't nesserserily go to the PC to play spore...