Poll

Will the Revolution truly be "revolutionary"?

Of coure, it will be the most amazing thing ever to happen to games.
1 (7.7%)
It'll probably be a good idea, whatever it is they do.
8 (61.5%)
Nah, they're just going to use touch screen controllers.
1 (7.7%)
Heck no, they're just going to make some stupid gimmick.
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 17, 2005, 10:29:44 pm

Author Topic: Will Nintendo surprise us?  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Will Nintendo surprise us?
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:29:44 pm »
I guess this is a tad late to start a poll like this, seeing as the Revolution is being unveiled tomorrow. (It think it's tomorrow...correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyway, I think Nintendo will have some good ideas. I don't know if it'll be extremely amazing, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Will Nintendo surprise us?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 05:47:27 am »
Ah Nintendo, I hope they don't do something stupid and make their system all touchscreen or something like that (DS anybody?). Actually the DS is a perfect example, even though the DS is very popular the developers are fighting Nintendo tooth and nail because Nintendo basically "requires" that all DS games use the touchscreen during gameplay. Sure you could in theory just make a game where the top screen works just like a regular GBA game and the bottom could be a map or something. But Nintendo won't have any of that, they require that all DS games use the touchscreen during gameplay, and I have to tell you that it is getting annoying.

If they keep this up it's going to kill the DS in the long run because forcing people to make games to fit their system (a system which is difficult to use during gameplay) the games are going to suffer. Same thing with the Revolution, if they try to do something wacky and force developers to make games to fit their system ... goodbye Nintendo.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 06:33:05 am »
Ah Nintendo, I hope they don't do something stupid and make their system all touchscreen or something like that (DS anybody?). Actually the DS is a perfect example, even though the DS is very popular the developers are fighting Nintendo tooth and nail because Nintendo basically "requires" that all DS games use the touchscreen during gameplay. Sure you could in theory just make a game where the top screen works just like a regular GBA game and the bottom could be a map or something. But Nintendo won't have any of that, they require that all DS games use the touchscreen during gameplay, and I have to tell you that it is getting annoying.

If they keep this up it's going to kill the DS in the long run because forcing people to make games to fit their system (a system which is difficult to use during gameplay) the games are going to suffer. Same thing with the Revolution, if they try to do something wacky and force developers to make games to fit their system ... goodbye Nintendo.

I don't think nintendo will be that much of an ass with the revolution.  I am sure they are going to want part of the multi-platform games afterall.  I have to think the DS thing is because they think that games that don't use the touch screen should be made for the GBA. 

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 07:45:24 am »
Pictures revealed: http://cube.ign.com/articles/615/615019p1.html

I'm...dissapointed if this is all there is to the Revolution. It's really neat that they're having older downloadable games available off of Steam. That'll be pretty sweet, IMO. Paying a bit of money, and downloading older games and playing it on your Revolution will be AWESOME.

But they say it's only about 2 to 3 times more powerful then the GameCube, as opossed to the 360's 13-15, and the PS3's 35 times. I might be able to accept that if Nintendo comes out with something really cool, which may happen. Hey, we haven't even seen the controller yet.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 07:49:08 am »
Wait a second, I hope THAT isn't the way Nintendo is going to have it be backwards compatible. Have the only way to play my GameCube games, by downloading it. I don't see how a DVD slot loading drive like that could play the GCN mini discs.

And this really makes me wonder how big this things hard drive is going to be. They said that you may be able to download games from all of the previous Nintendo systems, including the GCN. I don't know, maybe 60 Gigs would be acceptable, but how are they going to fit a hard drive that big in such a freakin' small system?!

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:55:06 am »
But you know, I really like the minimilistic design. It's small, and to the point. They didn't feel the need to make it all white and curvy, like the 360 and PS3. (Which I think makes it look cheap and platicy...but that's my opinion.)

Anyway, I'll shut up until we find out more info. ^_^

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 08:44:27 am »
I just put up the new design for the Nintendo Revolution on the main site. ;D Check it out...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 08:49:06 am »
Sweet, I like it.

Hey Steve, are you going to be able to see the official unveiling of the Revolution? Or is it "behind closed doors"?

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 09:07:14 am »
So I've been reading around, and it seems like the 2-3 times as powerful was an understatement, and that it should hold it's own against the PS3 and X360.

Well, we'll see when they show us games on it.

Eh, I'm looking at forums all over the net, and I see people already bashing Revolution for "not being as powerful". Sheesh, maybe, but let's wait for the games people. Hopefully one stupid article doesn't hurt it, in the long run. (If it's in trouble, it should be Nintendo's own fault.)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 09:53:32 am »
I lost all hope/love for nintendo when I saw all the games with mario.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 09:59:30 am »
The Revolution does look a bit plain... but that's fine with me. Nobody's going to be making fun of it for being a lunchbox, at least.

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:07:37 pm »
I think the design is nice: small and simple.
But I am REALLY excited about All-Access Gaming. I read on IGN, that they said EVERY game released for a Nintendo system will be available. I can finally play Chrono Trigger without a PC :D

The Drive is intersting too, they say it can load GC disks and I don't think downloading them is a good idea, they are quite big.
They also said that it'll have 512 MB of Flash memory for those downloads plus an SD memory card slot ( for more games and saves). Those games are not really big, so you can probably fit a LOT of them on an SD card, but 512 MB is not enough for GC games.

I hope the Evolution and/or DS are going to use that service too....
For me as a retro gamer this is like heaven, just one console for all games... (they should add Dreamcast, Genesis and Master System games too :-D I'd love to get my hands on Snatcher for SegaCD ;-) )

I am really excited about the "pad", it has to be something really cool, but you have to be able to use it just like a SNES/NES Pad too....I hope they are going to show them soon or I'll go crazy (those fake/concept/leaked pics of the split pad(s) are VERY intersting and like a real Revolution)

I think the Revolution will have enough power...Sony and MS are just exaggerating (remember the "Toy Story in realtime" stuff Sony said about the PS2). Maybe Nintendo is just realistic. I think 2/3 times the GC isn't that bad....

Most people I know are going to buy a PS3 anyway, just because it says PlayStation on it and it is going to have the next GTA.
XBox is VERY unpopular around here, because it was way too expensive when it first came out, but GC is even less popular for reasons we all know ;)
I skipped this generation, but if the Revolution is a real Revolution, I think about buying it on the first day....
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 04:18:29 pm »
Wow, that would be incredible... and it would introduce a whole new generation of gamers to the older games. I bet that's a really big extension of Nintendo's releasing of old NES and SNES games for the GBA...