Author Topic: My second creature thread: The Condyre  (Read 8873 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
My second creature thread: The Condyre
« on: April 28, 2006, 09:12:34 am »
If you read my misc creature thread youll know some of this already, but more will come just as soon Ive invented and illustrated it.

Below is a Condyre in traditional robes and wearing the blank facemask of an Initiate. The Condyre are never permitted to show their face and the masks they wear reflect their rank within the Hierarchy of the Condyre priesthood.

As you can probably guess their culture is very much centred on death. They dont kill though, this is forbidden by their religion. They are preparers of the dead. This was originally confined to a small part of their population, a priesthood prepared the dead in their sacred way. However, when they made contact with other civilisations the Condyre realised that their dead would need the treatment as well, or risk the displeasure of their death gods.
The priest sect swelled to become entire population of Condyra and its two moons were converted into gigantic Acropali. The Condyre now travel the galaxy searching for the recently deceaced. They are paid by other species to prepare their dead and take them to lie forever in the crypts of the Condyre. The Condyre see this as taking money for providing a sacred service, most of the species they deal with see it more as protection money to stop these imposing wraiths from simply taking corpses straight out of freshly dug graves (as some Condyre have been know, or at least rumored to do). The Condyre do not in fact experience much agression for their actions and beliefs because most species they encounter are terrified by them.

Above is a Condyre performing the embalming ritual on a recently deceased Zephyrok. He is wearing the Ceremonial Death Mask worn by all Conyre during embalmings regardless of rank and holding the various tools and paraphinalia used in the process. The scalpel is self explanatory and is kept razor sharp, in the opposite hand he holds a container of fragrant oil which is poured into the body of the subject. In one claw hand he holds an incense burner, which disinfects and dries the air in the room, in the other a dish holding a plasma-like fire. This is used to clean and sterilise the other tools used in the ritual.

Now a little more misscelaneous info:

Biology
The Condyre are somewhat an enigma because they refuse to let other species study them and do not encourage such inquiry even within their own species. What is know is that they are decended from a race of gliding reptiles somewhat like primitive pterasaurs. It is for this reason that they have an unusual arm configuration. Two large, two digit, clawed arms in the position usually associated with humanoids and a pair of long, thin limbs coming from their back and equipped with three fine digits. These thin arms are the remenants of their gliding wings.
Their throats contain many sets of vocal chords which allows them to produce a large amount of ominous noises, including low hums, 'normal' speech and high pitched shrieks.

Civilisation History
Their homeworld Condyra was once temperate and sunny but shortly after the first Condyre civlisation rose a global cataclysm totally changed the climate. The surface was now obscured almost constantly by clouds, the temperature dropped and storms tore across the sky, accompanied by near constant lashing rain. through resourcefullness the Condyre miraculously managed to survive and the cataclysm became the basis of their religion.
These wet conditions meant that burying the dead became highly inadvisable as the bodies would decompose, putrify and blight the land in which they were buried. For this reason it became the custom to dry out the body with salts and other chemicals, and to intern them in huge stone tombs, kept dry with special fires. Originally they were kept until they crumbled into dust, but as embalming techniques became more sophisticated the bodies began to last practically for ever.
Eventually this practise of treating the dead became a fully fledged religion, presided over by the death god Exis and his various aspects and under-gods.
After that Condyre civilisation was marked by the usual minor wars and ages of peace which most civilisations experience until they finally became spacefaring. At this point their religion became an obsession (see first large body of text for details).

And heres a typical scene on Condyra:

Note the cheery 'city of the dead' style archetecture and cloud obscured twin moons.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
Re: My second creature thread: The Condyre
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 09:18:26 am »
They remind me of those elder robot's in future armer.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:26:13 am »
That could be because those robots are modled after the classic grim reaper, which is an image commonly associated with death... which i naturally had in mind when making these guys.

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42:41 am »
Cool well they are awsome keep the good work up ;D.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:46:46 am »
The elder robots, as in Futurama, "Fear of a Bot Planet"? Loved that episode.

Cool creature, but i dont think ill hire them thanks.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:35 am »
Perhaps the high priest of Exis can persuade you

The High Priest is the leader of all Condyre. He alone has the priveledge of wearing the inverted robe and mask, and of sitting on the throne of Dusk. He is flanked by his two guards, both of which are Exis templars (as shown by the design of their masks)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:40:54 pm »
Awesome. I'd love to see a pic of Condyre graverobbers (stealing an Icthian body, maybe :))

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 07:31:20 am »
Now to go into more depth about the convoluted Condyre religion:

After the cataclysm darkened Condyra the Condyre retreated to the caves of the planet. Here they discovered vents of flammable gas from deep inside the planet. This valuable resource allowed them to survive the changes the cataclysm brought and introduced many innovations to Condyre society including metal smithing and heated dwellings.
At this time the religion began to form. The elders of Condyre society began to speak of the great God Exis. They told the rest of the Condyre that Exis had sent the Cataclysm to usher in a new age for the Condyre, and it was he that allowed them to uncover the secrets of the 'darkbreath' (flammable gas). It was said that Exis made a covenant with the Condyre, promising to never again cause such a cataclysm and from then on to be a force for permenancy and changelessness.
This elder god was soon tied in with the new methods of embalming and preservation which the new rainy conditions required. It was at this time that the great enemy of Exis, Atros, also came to fore. Atros became the god of decay and occupies the position of a devil in Condyre society.

Over time a Pantheon grew up around these two opposing gods of permenance and decay with various complex concepts and phenomena being personified by new gods.
Under Exis are the positive gods: Flagris (god of fire, and guardian of the precious natural gas), Dicis (Keeper of the Laws), Adris (god of craftsmen), Opis (god of plenty) and a slew of underlings not important enough to deserve worship.

Under Atros are the negative gods: Strigos (god of rain, storms and damp), Rancos (god of discord and crime), Contos (god of bloodshed and violence), Pauvos (god of famine) and various minor demons.

All positive gods and one negative one (Contos) have a dedicated sect of followers all of whom serve different purposes within Condyre culture:
Followers of Exis are the leaders of the Condyre and perform the most sacred rituals.
Followers of Flagris were originally employed as gas miners but now serve as a caste of learned scientists and technicians, they also tend to the
machinary used to mine gas in modern times.
Followers of Dicis are (obviously) Law inforcers and judges
Followers of Adris used to be craftsmen but are now engineers
Followers of Opis were originally farmers but now serve as trade liasons, securing supplies from alien species
Followers of Contos are the only followers of a negative god who have a place within the hierarchy of the temple. They are soldiers who deal with threats to the Condyris system and any Condyre colonies.

The other negative gods also have followers but they are illegal and criminal sects and are viewed by other condyre the same way medievil christians viewed witches, satanists and heretics, a blight to be stamped out. Most of them perform rather grim and unsavory rituals and are a menace to society.

Since first contact the Exis sect, once the small, elitist sect, swelled to become the largest. The next largest being Opis, Flagris, Adris, Contos and Dicis (in that order)

Within each sect exists the same hierarchy of ranks:

Initiate: The lowest rank, all Condyre are born at this rank. At this point they are not affiliated with a paticular sect.
Acolyte: An initiate in training with a sect.
Curate: The first 'recognised' rank within the hierarchy. A Curate is an Acolyte who has finished basic training with his sect.
Deacon: When a curate is put into the service of a Rector or higher ranking member of his sect he is given the title of Deacon
Archdeacon: A deacon who has distinguished himself is given the honour of serving an Archrector as an Archdeacon
Rector: The first rank at which a Condyre has some independance is that of Rector
Priest: Most rectors go on to become priests, and most stay there unless they perform well enough to be named an Archrector
Archrector: Are leaders who answer directly to the Prelate of his sect
Archpriest: Are the personal assistants of the sect Prelate
Prelate: There is only one prelate within each sect. On the death of the old prelate a new one is selected from the Archpriests or Archrectors.
Templar: Though they hold less power they technically outrank the Prelate. They are the High Priest's personal bodyguards and are selected from the Archrectors and Archpriests of that sect. Templars can also be Contos followers who have distinguishged themselves in combat.
High Priest: The leader of the sect. High priests have total autonomy and are only answerable to The High priest of Exis (colloquialy known as Pontifex Mortis).

In addition there is a special rank within the Contos Hierarchy. That of Exarch: Exarchs are the leaders of offworld military installations.

A cookie if you read it all!

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 09:37:46 am »
Wheres my cookie :)???

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
I lied about the cookie.

The Condyre always wear their ceremonial masks. (I couldnt think of a decent religious or social reason to justify this but it looks cool and saves me having to draw faces). Below are the masks for every rank of Exis follower, the most commonly encountered sect of Condyre.

Any requests on what I should cover next?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 04:35:56 pm »
Very cool!!

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 02:38:47 pm »
People find it hard to make comments without (even crappy) pictures ... or in some cases with. My Condyre havent had much feedback either  :'(

why krakow, you reminded me that I have not yet commented on how completely awesome these guys are  ;D

nice job!
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 02:40:20 pm »
Yes! Emotional blackmail works again!

Would the Torpal like their dead interred on the Condyris cryptworlds in exchange for their protection?

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 02:43:49 pm »
Could have sworn the Torpal eat their dead.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 02:46:19 pm »
I wouldnt be surprised... barbarians!