Author Topic: Kingdom of Heaven  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Kingdom of Heaven
« on: May 16, 2005, 08:26:40 pm »
Has anyone seen this movie?

I saw it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I was expecting a pure action film, but when it ended I really felt like I had seen a very well done film. I dunno... it was one of those rare films that felt 'just right' to me. My friend also seemed to like it quite a bit, despite having a less... biased opinion than mine. ;)

Anyway, I was wondering what other people thought. Discuss. ;D

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:51:29 pm »
i thought it was going to be alot better. I was expecting something more epic

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:57:42 am »
When I first heard of it, I was a bit skeptical.. I mean a movie about the crusades told from the crusader's point of view? I just thought it was typical hollywood hate propaganda.

However, alot of my friends have seen it and I have only heard good things from it! It seems somebody got it right and told the story in a fair and balanced way, that demonizes nobody and teaches people some really important lessons. The only downside I heard was that, well... there were no real bad guys or good guys to route for.. so If your into that kind of "GOOD vs EVIL" film that is so common in these kind of blockbusters you may be dissapointed.

I'm glad somebody actually opened a history book when making this film.
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 02:35:12 am »
It honestly wasn't worth the money.  The thing that really stood out to me was how little impact the supporting characters had in the movie.  Also, there seemed to be little development of the main character.  sigh, loosing faith in hollywood.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 03:52:30 am »
yes, i must say, i enjoyed the historical part of it, nice point of view.
but it needed 'more'

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:11:23 am »
How's Ed Norton's character?  Do you see a lot of him?  Nowerdays i tend to only see films with my favourite actors in - or something which seems really interesting.  Is Orlando Bloom as appalling as he usually is?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 02:05:19 pm »
I thought it was pretty good, I didn't really except any thing so that probably helped.

The girl really reminds me of some one though... I just can't remember who.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 02:50:39 pm »
How's Ed Norton's character? Do you see a lot of him? Nowerdays i tend to only see films with my favourite actors in - or something which seems really interesting. Is Orlando Bloom as appalling as he usually is?

was Ed Norton in this movie???
Orlando put a nice performance, nothing outstanding, but decent enough.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 10:06:02 pm »
I totally forgot that Ed Norton played the king. He did a good job, but you don't see his face.

The movie didn't have a lot of depth, that's for sure. Still, I left impressed. The typical selection of spring/summer flicks has really lowered my standards, I guess. ;D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 06:11:34 am »
Shame that Ed Norton isn't in more then.  Jeremy Irons is another one of my favourites, how was he?  I'm skint at the moment so i can't really afford to go wasting money in the cinema!

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 02:15:36 am »
First of all, Ed Norton is in the film for a significant portion. He plays the friggin' king, afterall. :D There's a reason why his face is hidden. Anyway, he's not merely a background/'filler' character, if that's what you're thinking.

I thought Jeremy Irons did a pretty good job. If I remember correctly he's in control of The Knights Templar. (Norton's character has many different military divisions beneath him, and Irons is in control of one of them.) I had forgotten he was in the film, and was surprised to see him. I think he really fits the role well. I don't think my friend even knew who he was, as he skipped over him entirely when listing the big names in the film (he could only think of 2 anyway). Says a lot about how cultured people my age are over here. :P
- Will Shriner