Author Topic: PS3 Specs Revealed! More to follow....  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
PS3 Specs Revealed! More to follow....
« on: May 16, 2005, 04:32:01 pm »
Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for detachable 2.5 inch HDD somewhat similar the Xbox 360's.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, and have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors lager than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Specs Revealed! More to follow....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 06:43:45 pm »
XYZZY!

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 07:07:39 pm »
http://ps3.ign.com/

Videos, Screens, and more!

I can't believe it...what have they done to my beautiful playstation!?

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:40:05 pm »
WHOAMGHOLYCRAP.

These next gen systems are outrageous. And here they're making FF7 for the PS3? They'll make a fortune from GameFAQs alone!

This leads me to wonder, since PC technology tends to catch up with consoles pretty quickly, what will this mean for PC gaming? I mean, this stuff can't be cheap to make... whew, next year is going to be mind-melting absurdly awesomeness.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 08:49:45 pm »
Wow, it really ... uh ... looks good. :-\ Yeah ... sure ... it looks <ahem> real nice.

Damn, that controller looks like a weapon. I am already hearing the pains of complaints from my gaming friends. E3 sure is going to be interesting...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 09:29:09 pm »
Make sure that you see the video for Killzone 2 on the PS3. It will definately give Halo 3 some mighty competition.

Offline bselig

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 10:08:34 pm »
That's an awesome trailer.  However, I think it's pretty clear it's not anything resembling gameplay(way too many contextual animations and generally too smooth).  So is it actually representitive of what we'll see  in-engine or is Sony just building hype with an absurd demo, as is their reputation?

Stuff like the Fight Night teaser look much more reasonable.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 10:26:34 pm »
So...any tech savvy guys out there know what the heck all that means? What in the world is a teraflop? How exactly does this stand up to the XBox 360, performance wise?

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 10:38:18 pm »
A teraflop is 1,000,000,000,000 "flops" per second.  A flop is short for a "floating point operation".  Essentially, this cpu can do a trillion math instructions per second.  In short, that's a LOTTA math in a short amount of time.

WHile the Cell processor is optimized, I think the XBox 360 has the advantage, as it has three 3.2ghz cores.  (ghz is the frequency at which the processor operates... so the more gigahertz, the faster the processor can grab information and make use of it).  We'll see how everytihng else stacks up.  HIstorically, the PS2 is based on older technology and is slower but more optimized than the XBox.... though this time around it should be more interesting, as they will both be released in the same time frame (possibly).  Currently, though, the XBox 360 looks to be a powerhouse.... better than most PC's today.  But how they use that technology will really prove whether the XBox is all bark and no bite.  Sony is famous for turning a little bit of technology and drawing every ounce of power out of it.  Compare Metal Gear SOlid 2 to MGS 3 and you'll find that hte graphics haven't aged, they've gotten better.  The XBox is more of a PC though, which is why it will get my vote.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 10:40:45 pm »
*whistles* These new consoles sure are powerful. Makes me wonder how they are going to keep the prices down at a manageable level...eh, maybe they won't. ^^;;

Anyway, thanks for the clarification Tron.

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 03:37:55 am »
They didn't even add any new buttons...boomerang...

PC's won't catch up too quickly to these specs for either the XB or PS3, and by the time they do it would be really expensive to upgrade.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 03:57:34 am »
I think the console looks nice, except that I prefer the flat tops, so yo can put things ontop of it, the problem i have with my xbox is that nothing can sit on top of it.

the controller is bit extreme, looks like one of those cheap madcatz controllers or something.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 04:38:30 am »
It reminds me of my scanner...

But what's the deal with the color?
Black XBox -- black PS2.
White XBox 360 -- white PS3.

Eh, I've got no problems with either system. Just mentioning for no reason.
It all sounds fine to me. In the end, I still don't know what most of that information means. In any case, I hope it means longer and smarter games come from developers now.
Because if Fable 2 comes to make the same mistake, so help me god...
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 05:33:16 am »
The Xbox 360 will be able to do 1.15 teraflops per second, while the PS3 will be able to do 2.18 teraflops per second, so the PS3 will be about twice as fast as the Xbox 360.

Just to give you an idea of just how insanely fast these console systems are going to be the PS3 is about as fast as the very fastest computer in the entire world was around 10 years ago. The multi-million-dollar "super computer" that the government used to crack codes and such in 1995 will now be used to play video games ... and cost around $300. Even today the PS3 would give modern super-computers a big run for the money (I promise you, geeks out there will quickly figure out a way to combine 10 or 20, or more, PS3s together to make an insanely fast super-computer).

Of course the fastest computer in the world today do 1127.41 teraflops (or 1.127 petaflops!), so figure in 2015 we'll be reading about the PS5 doing 1.2 petaflops!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 07:00:32 am »
Wait a minute, how can the processor do all those operations when only operating at 3.2 ghz? It seems like it wouldn't be able to push through enough information... unless it's got 256 bit architecture or something... I'm too lazy to do the math myself.