Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (23.1%)
No
20 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 678214 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Politics
« Reply #5865 on: January 30, 2018, 07:03:05 pm »
Take a drink every time Trump uses a superlative during the address.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: January 31, 2018, 10:15:10 pm »
Did "beautiful" count as a superlative?  And if so, did you survive?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Ultimatum

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: February 23, 2021, 05:19:33 pm »
Heh,Trump is no longer President

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5868 on: February 23, 2021, 07:59:56 pm »
It was a hilarious and fun and emotional time to witness. I'm very grateful to have been able to see it and to continue to watch what happens with domestic politics. I didn't expect this kind of fun until I was in my later life so it is a joy to see the chickens coming home to roost during the prime of my life.

And things are only going to get more interesting! I'm starting to see all kinds of things I predicted coming true and it's very gratifying on a personal level as someone that was often at odds with the so-called experts when I was studying politics and in taking part in various advocacy campaigns a decade ago. The breadth of politics and diplomacy are awesome and being able to witness a paradigm shift from the first true global hegemony into a post-hegemonic period of (lopsided) great power politics is exciting to watch. And fraught with risk as well! But I wouldn't trade it; it is fascinating. The power dynamics at play are really neat and their portrayals in the various narratives are the kind of things you could write books about.

Good books! Not the kind of cash-in books you get from the revolving door of talking heads.

Speaking of good books and politics! I finished great book last month entitled New Lies for Old by Anatoliy Golitsyn and last Fall I read a book entitled Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard. Both are very different reads but they touch upon subjects that interface with one another to a great degree.

In the latter, the general premise follows that the existence of a fundamental truth of reality as it pertains to our shared experience of the world around us has been re-imagined and rediscovered so many times that the basis for our actions and motivations in the real world bear little or no connection to the original interpretations of the truth of reality. That our existence ultimately becomes a "hyperreality" in which everything is built on a foundation of shifting sand and meaning becomes a transient concept. It's really ****ing confusing and I want to read it again over the summer. But it's good stuff. I strongly recommend it.

The former, written by an ex-KGB officer is a dissection of what he claimed were Soviet strategies to spread disinformation and the finer points of media manipulation. It's a really dense book and I don't know how much I can say I enjoyed it. It was interesting but I kind of wonder where the author is coming from with some of his assertions about the effectiveness of Soviet propaganda and plots. But it dovetailed nicely with the other book mentioned in this post in that they both describe a murky web of "reality" and at least for me gave me pause as I considered the ramifications of the last couple decades in communications and global policy making.

Data is a powerful thing and it is still fascinating to watch it exercised and used to manipulate groups and sway opinions. Being able to tell the difference between forms like "group" and "individual" has become increasingly important in the modern era. To be able to center yourself and look out at the vast landscape of a so-called reality around us and judge whether you need to use a micro or macro frame of mind to evaluate an issue is at the very core of being able to make good decisions. If you can choose the correct frame, independent of or at least aware of the crushing presence of the manipulation and fabrication our world is steeped in, you can see through the cracks in the wall and over time hopefully navigate to a place where you find contentment and understanding.

It's not easy and there's always a new storm on the horizon waiting to knock you down into the sand and force you to start over. But when you're equipped for it, it gets easier.

Our world is really ****ing interesting. I'm eternally grateful to be living in one of the interesting chapters of our history and not drifting along one of the margins.

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: February 23, 2021, 08:21:54 pm »
How deep. Did you hear that Newsmax had an hour long section criticizing Joe Biden's dog?

What exactly are you expecting or predicting to happen, Pat?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5870 on: February 23, 2021, 08:46:16 pm »
Let's take current events topical to your part of the world.

I see bad days ahead for Europe and the EU as the continental government in Brussels continues to mismanage its relationship with the Russians while they kowtow to the uniparty establishment in Washington. They're isolating themselves from a massive trading partner with a land border over what are ostensibly minor issues. Alexei Navalny is not worth souring relations with the Russian Federation. It's a total fool's errand conducted by out of touch bureaucrats that aren't thinking of the needs of their people, only the needs of their fundraisers. Be it French farmers or German manufacturers, there is a market there that wants their goods and yet an antiquated Cold War mindset is causing the EU to lash out in an incongruous fashion that is only going to hurt the mainland moving forward.

Furthermore, by continuing to follow the lead of Washington the EU and Europe as a whole is holding itself back from a greater destiny. That destiny being a truly independent player in the upcoming great power political game. Yet again the continent is setting itself up to be the second fiddle to another power. Europe under the EU is so much more than simply a client state and the independent nations need to demand greater autonomy from the central power in Brussels in order to develop a more stable and healthy union.

The same political splits at play in the United States play out between Eastern and Western Europe and there has to be more of an understanding that just because something is being done differently does not mean that is is being done incorrectly. The ideological split within the EU's major blocs continues to be a source of weakness, just as the ideological split in the United States represents a major weakness. In the case of the EU, leadership must work harder to respect the differences of opinion in Eastern Europe or at least sideline those issues and focus more on meaningful and substantive issues of trade and diplomacy. And they need to stop playing Washington's stupid games of whacking Russia for issues rooted in the minds of foreign politicians and leaders. Russia isn't going to retaliate against America for the Europeans stepping in and abiding by America's illogical crusade against Russia; the Russians are going to retaliate against the Europeans for this and then turn further Eastward in their pursuits for trade and partnership.

And mark my words: if they continue down this path eventually the EU is going to be left holding the bag because the Americans aren't going to be antagonistic toward Russia forever. The American people and Russian people are natural allies but for political circumstance. But politics change and when that decision is made to start rebuilding bridges, the Europeans are going to be the last to know because they are not acting of their own volition and are merely following. Europe should want to be master of its own destiny and become a third pole of power in global politics in the upcoming paradigm. They have the means and capacity to do so, but not the will.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5871 on: March 19, 2021, 06:46:08 am »
USA hurtling off a cliff with Russia right now. The Russiagate conspiracy is informing policy now. Don't follow us, Euros.  :-[

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5872 on: April 06, 2021, 07:23:45 pm »
AHHHHH! Urakine what are you doing? Washington!!! What are you DOING??? Europe don't play any part in this!

Immediate NATO membership? NATO is the bad guy. Stop this!!