Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (23.1%)
No
20 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 452386 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #4245 on: October 20, 2015, 02:34:56 am »
Not entirely clear on the specifics but the parties certainly allocate their MPs tactically in some cases. The leader of a party will always be shuffled into a seat where they can basically never lose (unless they're from a ****ty minor party). I think in the less important seats it's just a case of standing for election and hoping you get the most votes. IIRC you can have more than one candidate per party.

David Cameron's constituency of Witney is basically next door to my city and if you live there there is no point in voting anything other than Conservative because of the huge base of tribal voters in the area.

Conversely the constituency I live in mostly covers a lower income area of the city with a lot of immigrants and Labour haven't lost an election since the electoral lines were redrawn.

There's some gerrymandering but I don't think anything on the scale you see in the states with those ridiculous wiggly boundaries that selectively go around certain streets because too many latinos live there or whatever.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: October 20, 2015, 02:47:44 am »
You can also write letters to your MP, although many just toe the party line.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: October 20, 2015, 04:14:51 am »
My MP actually did help me out a bit when I was trying to sort out issues with my student loan. But I think he's fairly unusual in terms of the amount of constituent advocacy he does and its probably why he hasn't lost an election since the 80s.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: November 05, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »
People from minority parties are discouraged, too, by the fact that you have to pay a fee to stand in an election and you only get it back if you win a certain percentage of the vote.

Most safe seats are allocated by the party (Labour puts candidates forward in from the central committee as far as I know but will listen to local organisations).

The actual quality of the local representation depends on the person, really.

I lived most of my life in a constituency (York Central) where Hugh Bayley continually returned to power despite being reviled by most of the populace, because most Brits vote tactically to keep the other lot out. Bayley was essentially a minion of the party and did very little for the city.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: November 05, 2015, 02:27:04 pm »
Hey its Mr. Consternation! What's up?

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: November 05, 2015, 02:30:25 pm »
A lot! I got two degrees and now I work as a History Teacher and pay bills and know how to iron and and am an adult (or convincingly pretend to be one).

How's Sam?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: November 05, 2015, 02:35:25 pm »
I'm a student again, Anthropology and Philosophy. I do a lot of swing dance now and live in Oxford. I also like to iron things from time to time.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: November 05, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »
Explain swing dance in terms of anthropology. What does it all signify?

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: November 05, 2015, 02:44:48 pm »
Whiteness, probably.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: November 05, 2015, 03:14:55 pm »
Explain swing dance in terms of anthropology. What does it all signify?

Community based dance which originated in urban centres in the USA in the 1920s and 30s in afro-american neighbourhoods. It's fun. Also according to a paper by a sociologist that I found, dancing it makes you less sexist.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #4255 on: November 05, 2015, 04:50:45 pm »
Have you personally found you've become less sexist after participating in swing dance?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: November 06, 2015, 12:12:25 am »
Yeah before I thought bitches were basically only good for cooking and cleaning, but now I acknowledge that sometimes, in dire circumstances, they can do almost as good a job as a man would do in the nursing and primary teaching professions.

But nah for serious though. Yeah, probably? I mean its hard to tell without an identical twin who didn't start dancing four years ago but I certainly have more female friends. Hard to track how deep-seated attitudes might have changed though. I mean, most of us are sexist without realising.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: November 06, 2015, 06:15:12 am »
I thought it was deep-seeded
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #4258 on: November 06, 2015, 06:40:40 am »

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: November 06, 2015, 08:17:39 am »
I think it's more likely that the types of man who choose to engage in swing dancing are less likely to be sexist in the first place, surely?

Although this could be a potent weapon in feminism's arsenal - stealthily encouraging white van men and taxi drivers into swing dancing to win them over.

I find working in a sector which is more than 50% women, and where more than 50% of people in authority are women, and the vast majority of them extremely strong characters, makes it very difficult to be sexist.