Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (24%)
No
19 (76%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 394639 times)

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #3915 on: June 28, 2015, 03:50:42 pm »
As promised.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: June 28, 2015, 04:00:02 pm »
god i want to be rich so bad
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: June 28, 2015, 04:06:42 pm »
have you thought about robbing a bank
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:16:23 pm by Ultimatum »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: June 28, 2015, 04:10:12 pm »
Right but you have to actually do something positive to cancel out the hate.

People don't just wake up one day and decide to stop being homophobic.

They don't need to. It's not illegal to be homophobic.

You can hate gays as much as you like. It's okay! Go on the internet and talk about how you want to gas them all. You can't actually gas them all, but you can't gas anyone else either. One of the roles of the government is to police people trying to vent poison gasses on people, but not to police what people are allowed to think.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #3919 on: June 28, 2015, 05:51:35 pm »
One of the roles of the government is to police people trying to vent poison gasses on people, but not to police what people are allowed to think in such a way that they realize what's happening.

I think you forgot a bit at the end, so I thought I'd be a cool guy and help you out.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3920 on: June 28, 2015, 07:23:54 pm »
Watch the 500 Republican candidates tomorrow and the rest of the week as they stumble around and try to formulate their new narrative.

It's going to be some kind of "freedom of religion" angle now, since they can't leverage homosexuality anymore. But this is, of course, stupid because if it wasn't obvious before, it'll be really obvious now that they only care about freedom of their religion. Because the second a Muslim comes up and says something is offensive to their religion, the Christians can't try to insult them fast enough.

It's gonna be entertaining as heck.

Oh also I dislike the zeal with which some liberals are celebrating the Confederate flag thing. I'm all for not flying it. But man, these people went down the censorship road really fast. I guess most extremists do.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:29 pm »
PatMan is a terrible person and should be removed from public grounds immediately.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: June 28, 2015, 10:05:02 pm »
So I guess Greece is pretty much over, then?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33307263
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3923 on: June 28, 2015, 10:06:40 pm »
Wonder what will happen.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: June 29, 2015, 01:21:35 am »
Right but you have to actually do something positive to cancel out the hate.

People don't just wake up one day and decide to stop being homophobic.

They don't need to. It's not illegal to be homophobic.

You can hate gays as much as you like. It's okay! Go on the internet and talk about how you want to gas them all. You can't actually gas them all, but you can't gas anyone else either. One of the roles of the government is to police people trying to vent poison gasses on people, but not to police what people are allowed to think.

lurk stop being a legal-sperg.

Obviously you can't tell people how they should think or force people to share your beliefs. That wouldn't be ethical.

But allowing an injustice to be perpetrated is also unethical, and doing nothing to change a society where the people tolerate injustice is unethical.

I don't think you'll find anyone who can argue against a society where people are generally just nicer to each other. Once the legal situation is equal then the problem moves out of a legislative sphere and into a social one. That means people need to be more proactive about trying to combat discrimination.

Sure, it can't change everything over night, but relatively simple stuff like casting openly gay actors in tv shows and movies (in gay or straight roles) or writing gay characters who aren't shallow stereotypes (a hollywood gay characters is not 'progressive' if all they do is mince around and dispense relationship advice to the straight protagonist)

So in summary, just because you can't tell people what to think doesn't mean you shouldn't try to change their minds about stuff.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: June 29, 2015, 03:50:22 am »
You can't "proactively combat discrimination" any more than by just not discriminating.

If you try to go further than that, then you end up discriminating again.

And besides, if your gay character isn't a stereotype then they're just a regular dude, and if they're just a regular dude then how will people know they're gay? How will they know how progressive you are for having a gay character? You'd have to make a JK Rowling style asspull if you want people to think you're progressive, so it's easier to just write flamers to get those delicious social justice points.

Acting like it's important to have gay characters is how you end up with that kind of ****.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: June 29, 2015, 08:05:52 am »
If anyone can give me a coherent  translation I'll give them a cookie.
i mean that homosexuality and its acceptance is uninteresting, while still being an alright cause to pursue from many different stances, it's just already fleshed out and well understood. all that is left is labor, campaigning, lobbying, changing minds, boring stuff, there isn't much left that requires serious and original thought or consideration. i don't find labor enjoyable, but this is all politics is really, choosing sides between issues, riding them to their natural conclusions, influencing others with your beliefs, jumping off when it becomes all too common or mainstream, finding other issues to back up, forever it goes on. it's labor for potentially no sake (or perhaps just an overstated benefit) of your own

but what can someone do about it, aside from remaining distant and politically apathetic? i think interest should be the prime motivator for issues instead of public expectance, but everything comes back to the public, public interest, so nothing is worth listening to others argue over if it doesn't personally interest you, if you aren't genuinely concerned about something.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:13:07 am by PikMini »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3927 on: June 29, 2015, 09:09:14 am »
Sometimes issues can be hard to feel things toward when they are so relentlessly used as a football for someone's bull**** agenda.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:12 am »
And besides, if your gay character isn't a stereotype then they're just a regular dude, and if they're just a regular dude then how will people know they're gay?

Because in the part of the film/show where a straight character would be attracted to or date someone of the opposite gender they date someone of the same gender.

I'm not in favour of some sort of asspull where it's just another Die Hard movie and Bruce Wilkins' sidekick says "btw I'm gay and am gay married. I love my gay husband". 

But if movies and tv shows were actually reflective of the makeup of the audience then 1-10% of action movies would have Buck Hardass: International Superspy, rescue and bed another man from the clutches of whatever Russia/North Korea analogues are popular nowadays. It wouldn't be shoehorning anything, because a sexy love interest in peril is a perfectly organic part of action movies. You just have to switch the genders up.

To bring this back to race. Hollywood still won't make a movie where a black guy ends up with a white woman unless the movie is specifically about interracial relationships. That is ridiculous, and justifying it with "but muh audiences won't accept people with different levels of tan boning" is just cowardly and pretty condescending to the moviegoing public.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: June 29, 2015, 10:20:15 am »
You can't justify making Chuck Manmeat: Superspy because only 2% of people are going to be interested in seeing him win the dude in the end. It's the same with interracial stuff. The audience isn't going to pay for something they don't like.

They like mincing gay stereotypes and people marrying their own race. You'll go out of business if you try to argue with your audience.

Basically it's almost impossible to have gays in your movie without it being an asspull or a total commercial failure. I guess Brokeback Mountain did it, but maybe there's just something special about gay cowboys or maybe it was just the novelty of it.
Not a winner anymore.