Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (24%)
No
19 (76%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 393935 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #3900 on: June 27, 2015, 02:11:26 am »
So now is America going to let black people get married or what?

Because it's sort of lopsided now.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: June 27, 2015, 10:32:52 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5b-99oxCEs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5b-99oxCEs</a>

ayy here's juju.

He doesn't talk much about the rest of the TPP requiring your ISP to spy on you but that's in there too.

Small and medium businesses get in the ass just like the test of us because they don't get to replace the government the way multinationals do.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: June 27, 2015, 11:46:14 am »
at least this means cyberpunk is the future?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: June 27, 2015, 03:18:56 pm »
i'm bored of sexuality, what is the next 'gay' thing? something environmental like recycled clothing or entomophagy?

yeah, i wear thrifts, big deal! if you got a problem with it, just kiss my ass!
what? you don't eat silk worms? get away from me, prude!

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #3904 on: June 27, 2015, 06:01:00 pm »
Realistically it will take a decade or five before anyone shuts up about the whole gay marriage thing. Meanwhile, there's still abortion to whine about.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: June 27, 2015, 07:04:05 pm »
They were already saying on NPR that the next goal is to get discrimination protection passed in all the states and/or on the federal level.  There will be more stories about businesses not wanting to cater gay weddings.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: June 28, 2015, 01:59:54 am »
i'm bored of sexuality, what is the next 'gay' thing? something environmental like recycled clothing or entomophagy?

yeah, i wear thrifts, big deal! if you got a problem with it, just kiss my ass!
what? you don't eat silk worms? get away from me, prude!

Oh ok.

Attention everyone. Some guy is bored of "sexuality". Shut all the equal rights stuff down. This guy is bored so we'd all just better suck it up and live with the fact some people are second class citizens through no fault of their own.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: June 28, 2015, 02:37:31 am »
This guy is bored so we'd all just better suck it up and live with the fact some people are second class citizens through no fault of their own.

That's nothing to do with sexuality and you know it. This identity politics circus is a way for politicians to say "we're progressive!" while jamming more of your money into the hand of their corporate cronies.

Or in the case of the united states, jamming legislative power into the hands of their corporate cronies.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #3908 on: June 28, 2015, 05:26:13 am »
They were already saying on NPR that the next goal is to get discrimination protection passed in all the states and/or on the federal level.  There will be more stories about businesses not wanting to cater gay weddings.

Not just catering, but religious institutions themselves refusing to hold the service.

This whole thing scares me. The institution of marriage as a legal proceeding should be available to anyone and everyone. Whether individual churches allow certain rituals performed on their grounds, with their personnel forced to join in on these rituals, is an entirely different matter. As much as I support the rights for gay marriage, I can't help but feel that forcing clergy to perform ceremonies against their will and beliefs is a different matter altogether. The government has the right to dictate the legal definition of marriage, but not the right to dictate the doctrines of religious services within its borders. We have a president, not a pope.

As far as discrimination for catering, planning and other services, no one is really aware of how blatant this is yet in order to judge for certain. The sudden influx of new wedding business may mean the free market sort of decides this on their own; with businesses turning down gay weddings suffering compared to those who don't. It may also not be the case at all, proving our country's maturity hasn't changed a whole lot since the '50s. Hell if I know.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: June 28, 2015, 05:29:23 am »
Oh ok.

Attention everyone. Some guy is bored of "sexuality". Shut all the equal rights stuff down. This guy is bored so we'd all just better suck it up and live with the fact some people are second class citizens through no fault of their own.

it's more like the novelty is over, a vacuum for thought, there is nothing to be gained from thinking it over anymore. do you know what i mean? there isn't much standing in the way of homosexuality, everyone is embracing it, pride rallies are common, the countries adopting such and such are paving the way for others. anything remotely anti-gay is mostly arbitrary nonsense at this point and it's just silly. i'm not saying the cause is lost, just uninteresting labor, it's building a road through an already cleared forest.

i think there is value in always anticipating things, so if we look back at how homosexuality has been perceived, based on similiar treatment, i would say pedophilia or something taboo is going to be the next big thing. but, even as a thought experiment, to suggest such a thing is suicidal nowaday, but it's still far more interesting than listening to 'i don't like gays, that's reason enough for their mistreatment'

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: June 28, 2015, 09:53:07 am »
You have to clear a forest to build the road....
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: June 28, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »
If anyone can give me a coherent  translation I'll give them a cookie.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: June 28, 2015, 02:54:19 pm »
I think Pikmini was saying that he thinks that since homosexuality is broadly accepted (in the west) and there is some equality legislation that it's not really interesting or worth talking about any more.

As a rebuttal I'd say that a lot of it is broadly cosmetic stuff. Discrimination is still pretty pervasive, as are various ugly or just insulting/untrue stereotypes.

The whole thing smacks of pundits calling the USA a "post-racial society" because technically people are equal in the eyes of the law, but then they conveniently ignore that a huge percentage of the prison population is black, or try to spin riots and hate crime/terrorism to minimise the social role race plays in them.

Making laws is pretty easy compared to changing the minds of an entire society. The fact is that the Supreme Court's decision isn't going to make any difference to the guy getting kicked out of his house and forced to live on the street because his right-wing parents don't like the fact he wants to stick his dick in another guy's mouth, or stop some frat douche from raping a girl because she can't possibly be a lesbian she "just hasn't had a real man before".

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: June 28, 2015, 03:18:07 pm »
The whole thing smacks of pundits calling the USA a "post-racial society" because technically people are equal in the eyes of the law, but then they conveniently ignore that a huge percentage of the prison population is black, or try to spin riots and hate crime/terrorism to minimise the social role race plays in them.

The media loves a race war. They don't minimise that, they try to add racial angles to stories that don't involve it.

Besides, when people are equal in the eyes of the law that's all you can do. There's one law for everybody except the rich. You have to wait for people to stop hating the gays on their own.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: June 28, 2015, 03:27:10 pm »
Right but you have to actually do something positive to cancel out the hate.

People don't just wake up one day and decide to stop being homophobic.