Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (23.1%)
No
20 (76.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 473048 times)

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #2985 on: August 21, 2011, 07:41:45 pm »
For the last week or so they had been trying to take some city that was being called the gate to Tripoli, the last step.  Once they took that, they rode in and apparently rolling into Tripoli was much easier than anyone expected.  But yes, this all happened very fast.  It sounds like no one knows where Gadaffi is, but they did capture one of his sons and are planning to hand him over to the Hague.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: August 22, 2011, 05:04:37 am »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: August 23, 2011, 04:55:05 pm »
They just don't make good flags anymore...

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: August 23, 2011, 04:57:29 pm »
Draft of the new Libyan constitution

Yay, Secular Government!

EDIT: Is what I would have said if I had used Ctrl + F for a photocopied document like a moron. But luckily that isn't me.

But seriously I hope this Democracy thing works out for them.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:01:38 pm by Plank of Wood »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: August 23, 2011, 05:08:14 pm »
Plank, I'm a little disappointed you aren't more concerned about their flag.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: August 23, 2011, 05:13:16 pm »
You mean this?

That's an awesome flag.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: August 23, 2011, 05:28:48 pm »
I find it too generic. Why can't anyone have another Union Jack or a Stars and Stripes? Even the Chinese flag is okay compared to the other crap out there.

Other people need to way in on this pressing issue, especially those that agree with me. Read the part about the flag but ignore everything else.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:12 pm »
So, wait. AFAIK the whole thing has been stalled the last few months or so. Then in one night, they ride up to Tripoli, capture and/or kill the crazy dictator, and end the war but for the mopping up?

What just happened.

My belief:

A large number of NATO-nation hired mercenaries, probably bankrolled by Arab interests, ride on to the scene and did a quicky training/make themselves look like Libyan rebels, and steamrolled in with CIA drone support.

Something that a lot of smaller nations fear is the power of a well trained, well financed mercenary army that can be hired to wipe out a neighboring nation. Sci-fi movies talk about it like it'll be a hundred years from now, but it is happening now. If nothing else the piracy off the east coast of Africa, India, and the Philippian islands as well as the contract and nation fought wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has made such forces not only possible, but viable.

Beware of any army that has their national insignia attached with Velcro patches.

-Lego

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: August 23, 2011, 05:33:40 pm »
I find it too generic. Why can't anyone have another Union Jack or a Stars and Stripes? Even the Chinese flag is okay compared to the other crap out there.

Other people need to way in on this pressing issue, especially those that agree with me. Read the part about the flag but ignore everything else.

Dude, all the Arab countries have Red, Black and White as their flag colours, but Libya is all "**** that ****, I do what I want!" and stuck some green on there. That's balls right there.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2994 on: August 23, 2011, 05:34:42 pm »
Beware of any army that has their national insignia attached with Velcro patches.

I like this.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2995 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »

Dude, all the Arab countries have Red, Black and White as their flag colours, but Libya is all "**** that ****, I do what I want!" and stuck some green on there. That's balls right there.

Yeah, because barely any Arab countries have green on there flags.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:20 pm »

Yeah, because barely any Arab countries have green on there flags.

Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: August 23, 2011, 08:29:53 pm »
Green is often used in islamic stuff. See: Iran protests some time back.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: August 24, 2011, 11:00:07 am »
from : http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/08/24/libya.war/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Rebels worked to topple remnants of the Gadhafi military apparatus as special forces from Britain, France, Jordan and Qatar -- which are on the ground in Libya -- have stepped up operations in Tripoli and other cities in recent days to help them.

-Lego

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: August 26, 2011, 08:58:16 pm »
I wanted to share a few of my favorite stories coming out of Libya.

Rebel captures the Colonel's hat, gold chain, and golden elephant cane, becomes the Pimp King of Libya:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoGNlWsObg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhoGNlWsObg</a>

Rebels ransack Gadaffi's compound and teacup ride:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029816/Gaddafis-Neverland-Fairground-rides-zoo-shrine-dead-daughter-Inside-tyrants-bizarre-lair.html

And along the way find his book of pictures of Condoleezza Rice:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/gaddafi-condoleezza-rice-album-_n_936385.html
Probably not a Goat, either.