Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (24%)
No
19 (76%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 389679 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2005, 10:45:25 am »
i think you mean tazers- phazers are sci-fi
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline ChaoticCreature

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Without chaos, Nothing can evolve
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2005, 11:05:17 am »
i think you mean tazers- phazers are sci-fi

i meant phaser sci-fi like;) invent something similar and i think they could replace guns(or that it would be a good idea to do:). Tazers have too limited range
a gun that neutrulizes its target instead of killing or wounding it
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 11:49:56 am by Red_Fish »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2005, 03:11:12 pm »
try googling 'Plasma Tazer' and see what that comes up with.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2005, 05:49:25 pm »
You can build a gauss pistol with (sort of) household materials. I don't think it can hurt people though.

Anyhow, I realize that a lot of violence occurs in america because of guns, but you have to remember that America is very, VERY different from all other countries. Like I said before, other countries have even MORE guns (relatively) and yet they have lower gun violence. It's hard to say what the real cause of all the gun violence is.

Offline ChaoticCreature

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Without chaos, Nothing can evolve
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2005, 11:59:14 pm »
You can build a gauss pistol with (sort of) household materials. I don't think it can hurt people though.

Still cool;)

Anyhow, I realize that a lot of violence occurs in america because of guns, but you have to remember that America is very, VERY different from all other countries. Like I said before, other countries have even MORE guns (relatively) and yet they have lower gun violence. It's hard to say what the real cause of all the gun violence is.

to that i will answer with a quote from something i said myself:)
if you can fix the dude behind the gun that would be more effective

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2005, 01:36:49 am »
Maby its to do with genetics- australians are all decended from cockney convicts so theres a sort of cultural dishonesty, not to mention aptitudes at certain sports ( ;Dalthough recently not Rugby or Cricket ;D). Americans are decnded from people disgruntled by their lot in their respective European countries. maybe gun violence is caused by a genetic propensity to being disgruntled.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2008, 05:47:40 pm »
The generic politics thread returns from the depths!

I guess this is like the generic Religion thread, so to kick things off here's the most beautiful irony you'll hear all week.

"No regime should ignore the will of its own people"
- G. W. Bush

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »
.... Damn.... Ladies and gentlemen, the world just got a lot bleaker. George Bush just used up all the irony in it.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2008, 07:59:10 am »
Speaking of deficits over in the election thread, it's not looking great in the latest predictions from the White House:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/28/AR2008072800953.html?hpid=topnews

From the article:
"The federal budget deficit will grow to a record $482 billion in the fiscal year that begins in October, the White House said yesterday, driven by war costs, tax rebates, and a slowing economy that will leave the next president little room to fulfill costly campaign promises.

White House budget director Jim Nussle said unexpectedly slow economic growth, sharp declines in housing prices and an unanticipated increase in inflation will help drive next year's tide of red ink close to half a trillion dollars, up sharply from February's $407 billion estimate."

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2008, 01:13:07 pm »
Wasn't the surplus under Clinton predicted? And wasn't it gained simply because of the whole internet boom? The deficit is definitely his fault but the surplus belongs to the people.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »
Wasn't the surplus under Clinton predicted? And wasn't it gained simply because of the whole internet boom? The deficit is definitely his fault but the surplus belongs to the people.

Not really, since the surplus itself reached a peak at the end of his term.

It's an amusing myth that says Republicans are fiscally responsible, at least within the last couple of decades. Both parties spend a lot, the Republicans just borrow where the Democrats tax.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:45:48 pm by Daxx »

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2008, 01:46:19 pm »
Hooray for the Democrats! ;)

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2008, 02:05:16 pm »
Hooray for fudging the numbers!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:28 pm »
First hit on costs, so accuracy is questionable, but hard numbers are tough to come by:
http://zfacts.com/p/447.html

The Cost of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Other Global War on Terror Operations Since 9/11     

FY   $ Billion
2003   53.0
2004   75.9
2005   85.5
2006   102.0
2007   133.6

Of course this assumes that all the money spent on the war on terror is deficit spending (which wouldn't be accurate since there was a military budget in the first place). I'm guessing the next two years are increases due to bank bailouts?

EDIT-ADDITIONAL

I just wanted to point out that a huge part of the Reagan/Bush Sr spending could be attributed to the Cold War and First Gulf War whereas President Clinton downsized the military as much as possible during his eight years. When called upon by Bush Jr, a lot of spending was needed to bring everything back up to par.

This is only part of the issue, but worthy of mention in my opinion.
-Lego
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 02:20:29 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2008, 02:19:59 pm »
Didn't Clinton engage in the Kosavo conflict though? surely that would have cost the US military a chunk of money as well and in Carters time the cold war was still being fought which would have cost far more.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.