Poll

Syria?

Yes
6 (24%)
No
19 (76%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Politics  (Read 389718 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Politics
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2005, 02:05:10 am »
Yes, guns are illegal- the murder rate is a whole lot lower as well. (you can use shotguns for hunting but not very powerful ones)

Guns are fine the way they are. I have not once walked down the street and thought, "Oh, man! I sure wish guns were illegal so I don't get shot!" If people are crazy enough to kill you for walking down the street, they're not gonna need a gun to make it any easier. I'm thinking knife, pipe, wire, string, poison gas... Nobody having guns doesn't make you any safer.

Guns make killing REALLY easy. A 90 pound weakling can kill a professional boxer with a gun, you need strength to bludgeon someone to death and you need a certain amount of skill to stab someone properly, as for poison gas- how available is that? (quite actually) but a lot of these crimes require premeditation. like i said- if someone wants me dead theyre going to have to put some effort into it.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline ChaoticCreature

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Without chaos, Nothing can evolve
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2005, 07:21:16 am »
Guns dont cause people to get bad or do bad stuff, But it makes it far easier for bad people to kill others, if its possible to control the import of guns in U.S then i think it would be a good idea to make guns illigal cause it would make it harder for people to kill others.. Yeah they will use other metodes (you can learn self defence against those things) but it would cancel some things like for an example.

if someone found his girlfriend in the bed with another dude he might want to kick the **** out of that dude (if he had a gun it could go far worse) there are moments in some peoples lives where they should not have firearms or the likings near them.

Your children finding and by accident shooting with a gun/killing a brother or shooting themselves, stuff like that is heard to happen in the U.S.:/ that would certaintly decrese too if guns where banned

a gang with guns are harder to take care of by the police then one with knives

Shootings in scools happens quite often in the U.S. compared to every other country with guns banned:/

you can far easier defend yourself against a knife,pipe,fist and other things then guns/flying bullets with self defence lessons or just a fit body.

im not saying guns are the reason for all killings or the likings:P but people do die because of them and sometimes children gets a hold of them/witch can end bad
so im sure it would decrease the overall deathrate. other solution is to reasearch on non leathal guns (actually a big research topic at the moment) in case you people really have to be able to kill/neutrelize others. anyway I belive there are other stuff that causes deaths more than guns cause its not the gun you have to look at its the one holding it.. if you can fix him then you can fix the problem. (the part of the problem not involving playfull minors, insanity, momentary insanity or the likings of more or less uncontrollable stuff)

good links stats and stuff on the topic

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvintl.html

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/stun-gun.htm
couldent find a great link on non letahl guns research cause im lazy:P

My opinion on guns is that whether legal or not, the bad guys are gona have em.
try looking at other countries without guns before making such judgments. just a friendly suggestion
you might find yourself wrong.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2005, 07:30:16 am »
If only the bad guys have guns you can potentially arrest them for possesion of firearms before they strike.

My opinion on guns is that whether legal or not, the bad guys are gona have em.
lots of robberies in England are performed with accurate replicas- its a serious problem. theyre cracking down on toy guns that look too realistic.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2005, 04:25:21 pm »
If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns.

Offline ChaoticCreature

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2005, 03:03:18 am »
If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns.

Instead of just stating it, try arguementing for it, or at LEAST show some links or some references to other countries with guns banned.. Everyone can make statements like that.

in denmark most outlaws dont have guns. some few people have guns cause ypu can get a gun certificate (only hunters and the likings seem to get that, dunno how it works) It has never happend in denmark that a student have been going amok with a gun in scool in denmark. I have Never heard of chiildren accidently shooting anything ever either, but there could be a single or two accidents there for what i know.. in the entire history of denmark:P. and yeah there has been some robbings with fake guns once in a while but almost none with real guns. if noone has guns noone gets them. its not easy getting a gun here in denmark, and if you as robber dont fear that people have guns in thier homes, you dont get/need one)

but yeah it might be wrong to do in the U.S. depending on if its at all possible for them to control the gun import or not (dunno how U.S. security is) but as said before if you can fix the dude behind the gun that would be more effective than outlawing guns. but outlawing guns could cancel the scool amok students and nosey children with happy triggerfinger accidents and the likings.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2005, 03:40:32 am »
ummm...yeah ???

the biggest reason for not banning guns in the US is the fact that its a multi-billion dollar industry. think of all the gun stores going out of business.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2005, 03:54:26 am »
In countries that DO have guns, there is still lower gun violence. Look at Canada. Lots of them are even bigger gun nuts than we are, but we still have more gun violence. I'm just saying that if you outlaw guns, it's not going to stop gun violence from happening. If anything it will make it harder for people to defend themselves when a criminal with a gun goes to shoot them. It's just like outlawing drugs; it hardly keeps drug use down at all. People will always find a way to get what they want.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2005, 04:12:31 am »
How can you defend yourself with a gun? do you shoot the other guys bullets out of the air? If someones pulled a gun on you then you cant retaliate, the only thing you can do is kill or seriously hurt the other guy, its still a death but it was him and not you.
I'm not saying theres a way of completely outlawing guns in the US, its too late for that (unless you 'magic' away every gun in the country) but you have to admit that guns make a country less safe, whether its everyone that has them or just criminals.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 04:14:23 am by krakow sam »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2005, 04:41:02 am »
The reason we have guns in America is because it is our constitutional right. This was based on our history of allowing citizens to bear arms against countries that would be hostile to us and our own government. It is one of the freedoms that we have to protect our property and our country and for the people to maintain control over their government. Of course our government has changed alot in the last 200 years and people think we no longer need this right. With our military stretched so thin right now, its a good example of how something could happen now that would require our citizens to pick up arms and protect our country. Another example would be New Orleans, during a crisis or disaester a gun would come in handy for protecting life and property.

As with any weapon, a gun can be misused. Learning gun safety is an important part of owning one but no.. many people don't do that. Many states have classes and allow you to conceal and carry a pistol after training. NC is one of those states. Even if you took the guns away, people will find other ways to kill each other. It's human nature and they did it well before there ever was a gun. There has been guns in my family for years and no one has ever shot anyone. Most law abiding citizens will not go around shooting each other. You also will never hear of the good things about guns on the news, only the bad stories make it. The stories of people saving themselves or others or preventing crime is hardly ever told.

If you are interested in more information about guns and gun safety in America, here is the NRA website. NRA

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 04:47:38 am by LadyM »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2005, 05:17:25 am »
Oh yeah i forgot, you dont want to give up guns in case King George the third trys to get his land back  ;D

You live in a country with two borders- one to a friendly country and another with an indifferent one- i cant see people being drafted in to repel a land invasion any time soon.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2005, 05:43:35 am »
At the time the constitution was written, yes we had just gained our freedom. I was giving you the historical basis of why we have that right. We now have terrorists in our country. We also have people who kill and rape and steal. There are many reasons to maintain the right to bear arms. It's what makes our country unique. Owning a gun is also a responsibility as well as being a right.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 05:45:16 am by LadyM »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2005, 06:28:17 am »
Shame there arent alot of responsible people in your country (I used to be anti-firearms although I have heard some convincing arguments in my time so now I'm more on the fence).

Offline ChaoticCreature

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2005, 09:50:59 am »
well okay they could at least set some minumum requirements for getting a gun (like being sane) or the likings. Anything. i really dont see how guns save lives. i would rather have rope or a rubber boat,lighter whatever then a gun. yeah you can kill people that try to attack you/steal whatever you have but that dosent save lives, thats taking them.

and if you have to defend yourself get a taser or something:/

anyway
the biggest reason for not banning guns in the US is the fact that its a multi-billion dollar industry. think of all the gun stores going out of business.

yeah im sure guns whont be banned because of that and because of those who defend them blindly
but setting minimum requirements would be a nice way to keep guns from "loonies" or criminals (yeah they could get a friend to buy it:/)

hmm well Make guns with fingerprint "locks" that could work? only unlocks in the hands of the owner(witch should be determined at the shop or something)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2005, 10:04:08 am »
there is resaerch and developement going into biometric guns- but youll always have people that can get rid of the failsafes or bypass the system entirely.

Offline ChaoticCreature

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2005, 10:17:03 am »
thats right but as long as its not super easy to bypass it could reduce them being misused... but non lethal guns seem to be the way for the U.S :) since there are many gun lovers and stores, non lethal guns/phasers :P would be handy:) and hopefuly make everyone happy? or is this a terryfying suggestion too:P *waits for some gun luvr to verbally hate that suggestion too:P*