Author Topic: Remakes  (Read 8210 times)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: Remakes
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 05:18:37 am »
yeah War Of The Worlds was amazing!!! i loved every second of it hehe.
I am kinda suprised you said this because I had a real problem with the story and how Spielberg made it in his own way.
Such as: If the aliens were going to conquer Earth and they planeted Ships in it way before us, why didn't they just conquer us then?
And...Spoiler...
Cruise had to kill that guy in that cellar to shut him up before they could be found, but they were still found later...so it seems killing that guy was a waste.
And it aslo seem you can easily trip one those alien tripod ships with just some string, nails, etc.

Hated that movie. My best friend and I were sitting there and predicting everything that was about to happen and moaning when something really predictable would happen. And yes, I greatly preferred the tripods in the book. Damn things were unbeatable. Before the movie even started, I looked over at my friend and told him, "Tom Cruise is in this. I don't like him. If he kills a single alien, nevermind a tripod, I will walk the hell out."

So yeah, I didn't see the ending. Based on my friend's comments, it ended the same cheesy way we expected it to.

They did kill a Tripod in the book. The steamer got one. As for Cruises psycho tendencies, I think it's really silly to think different of his acting just because he's a scientologist. Acting and personal life are two different things.

I recently saw the old WOTW and it rocked!  ;D The new one has good effects and is a solid movie, but the old one... man, it's  awesome, even for today. The only thing that get's annoying is the view on women they ahd at the time. Oh well.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 06:11:14 am »
They did kill a Tripod in the book. The steamer got one.

That's a steamer. I meant primarily that a single person doesn't take the friggin' things down. Sorry if I wasn't more clear about that.

As for Cruises psycho tendencies, I think it's really silly to think different of his acting just because he's a scientologist. Acting and personal life are two different things.

You're putting words into my mouth that weren't there. I never said I was tired of Cruise because he's a scientologist. Hell, the actor in My Name's Earl is scientologist and I like him. My problem with him was that I was tired of hearing about him. Turn on the TV, there's TomKat; look online, another story about TomKat; on the radio, people would debate TomKat. And I was sick of it. I had been TomKat'd out of my damn head.

That said, I still don't think he should have killed a tripod. That was stupid.

I recently saw the old WOTW and it rocked! ;D The new one has good effects and is a solid movie, but the old one... man, it's awesome, even for today. The only thing that get's annoying is the view on women they ahd at the time. Oh well.

Oh yeah, it's excellent. Glad you got to see it.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 01:35:57 pm »
You're putting words into my mouth that weren't there. I never said I was tired of Cruise because he's a scientologist. Hell, the actor in My Name's Earl is scientologist and I like him. My problem with him was that I was tired of hearing about him. Turn on the TV, there's TomKat; look online, another story about TomKat; on the radio, people would debate TomKat. And I was sick of it. I had been TomKat'd out of my damn head.

I have a hunch Mr. Cruise feels the same way you do about appearing all over the papers. Because Entertainment shows and tabloids keep talking about him though is hardly his fault. (granted he gives them things to talk about by jumping on couches). Personally though I think the shows/papers/magazines should just drop the whole thing, simply for the sake of the baby.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 02:35:07 pm by Interitus »
My karma ran over your dogma

c14dude

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 02:20:16 pm »
i dont know, i just thought wotw was very exciting in the theater, i didnt like the original movie.
it had stuff i wasnt expecting and i thought it was very entertainging. the ending though was kinda abrupt

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 06:18:42 am »
I have a hunch Mr. Cruise feels the same way you do about appearing all over the papers. Because Entertainment shows and tabloids keep talking about him though is hardly his fault. (granted he gives them things to talk about by jumping on couches). Personally though I think the shows/papers/magazines should just drop the whole thing, simply for the sake of the baby.

It's odd but I don't share your hunch. Ever notice how, for the most part, one of the most successful actors of our time, Harrison Ford, hardly ever shows up on magazines or on TV? Why? Because he hates that stuff and goes off into the middle of nowhere to escape from it. If someone is getting attention, it's because they want it. These people are wealthy enough to disappear should they desire it. Tom made this situation on his own. Before he started losing his mind on Oprah, I'd heard a little, a scant little, about he and Katie Holmes being together. Next thing I know, he's jumping on couches, acting like a lunatic, and you can't friggin' escape the two of them.

And yes, if I had my choice, the baby would be safe from all this insanity -- but sadly, her father is Tom Cruise. And he's crazy.

werechicken

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 07:24:32 am »
I've gotta say if Tom Cruise s in a ovies that alone will put me off, mainly because he's a whiney, annoying, publicity hungry cult memeber who threatens to sue people every time someone makes a joke about him (southpark)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 07:44:34 am »
I've gotta say if Tom Cruise s in a ovies that alone will put me off, mainly because he's a whiney, annoying, publicity hungry cult memeber who threatens to sue people every time someone makes a joke about him (southpark)
Which is why South Park rules. It's like Penny Arcade. Measures success in lawsuits.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2006, 10:46:47 pm »
That's exactly what I'm saying! Acting and personal life doesn't connect! At least it shouldn't, but look at Mr. and Mrs. Smith... anyway, I recently found out a very good bit part actor I liked was a god damn pederast. It's an extreme case, but he's not a pederast in the movies. I can hate him for what he did but not for the roles he took. What if people assumed Kevin Spacey was a psycho just because of his movie roles? It's the same broken logic that makes people hate Tom Cruise. Oh, and PHI, I was probably replying to Fink's post about Cruise.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2006, 11:49:46 am »
i can't really think of any remakes+originals i've seen except for dawn of the dead. the original was way better. the new one was just like all the other horror crap that's out nowadays...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2006, 12:20:42 pm »
Oh, and PHI, I was probably replying to Fink's post about Cruise.
Yeah, no worries.

werechicken

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2006, 04:38:49 pm »
i can't really think of any remakes+originals I've seen except for dawn of the dead. the original was way better. the new one was just like all the other horror crap that's out nowadays...

remove the word horror from that and you've single handidly described ALL remakes

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2006, 10:59:12 am »
That's a bit harsch. I can think of hundreds of good remakes. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Lion King(more of a ripoff actually), For a Handful of Dollars, ...erm... wait, there are more... hold on a sec...

OK, so most remakes are crap. But there are some good ones.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:01:03 am by huggkruka »