Author Topic: Doh! Brain Training does not help aging Brains  (Read 1695 times)

Offline uber fragger

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Doh! Brain Training does not help aging Brains
« on: April 25, 2006, 05:42:11 pm »
Link: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/24/oops-brain-training-doesnt-help-aging-brains/

In a blow to Nintendo's hopes that their Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day title for the Nintendo DS would sell bajillions of copies to aging boomers who want to halt the rate at which their brains slip into senility, the Wall Street Journal's Science Journal debunks the idea that brain training of any sort can help slow the rate of mental decline.

The Journal quotes a recent study by University of Virginia’s Timothy Salthouse that found "little scientific evidence that engagement in mentally stimulating activities alters the rate of mental aging" calling the belief "more of an optimistic hope than an empirical reality."

Furthermore, "Even in the most mentally engaged elderly -- chess experts, professors, doctors -- mental function declines as steeply as in people to whom mental exercise means choosing which TV show to watch," Sharon Begley -- the author of the piece -- writes.

Not that it matters though, since anyone and their mom with a DS is still gonna buy it.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Doh! Brain Training does not help aging Brains
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:17:53 am »
Ouch.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:52:47 am »
Have to say that I profoundly disagree.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:26:28 am »
I disagree also. The only reason Brain Age cannot help your brain improve is because it seems incapable of understanding how some people pronounce 'blue.' I can say it over and over again but it won't recognize it. Meanwhile, my friend will chime in and say it even though he's not paying attention and it will accept the input as a right answer. So I obviously say 'blue' differently than everyone else.   

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 06:28:35 am »
Who cares though? Everyone is still going to buy it, because its just a simple, fun little game.

Plus it has Sudoku!!!