Author Topic: Starter species  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: Starter species
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 02:28:07 pm »
I agree with Merridian.  If you go to www.x3reunion.com , you'll find that they actually started having a contest that doesn't require one playing the game.  They're gathering ideas for content using a "Create-a-planet contest".  The winnder gets a signed copy of the game when it comes out.  But it also gives the community a chance to put their noodles to use and create some cool planets for Egosoft to us in their next X game.  I'm not saying the same thing would be good in Spore, but some sorta tool that could be used to create some of the simpler life (for the earlier stages of the game) would help a lot.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 04:05:08 pm »
I remember a while back after GDC we were talking about this in these forums and with a bunch of us on dial up we were talking about downloading and internet conection, but their are to be like 10 thousand all ready made creatures in the game.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 04:25:55 pm »
thats alot of creatures

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2005, 04:37:02 pm »
What I'd like to know if their just randomly generated or if maxis hires people to make 10 thousand different species.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2005, 05:01:55 pm »
I bet people will have created every one.  10000 isn't a lot if you employ a couple hundred beta testers who make 10 or 15 creatures each... plus, who knows how many creatures have been made through in-house testing. 
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 02:50:09 pm »
Yeah i agree, the game must have been at a pretty advanced stage for a while before they even showed it at gdc, and who knows how long the editor has been up and running for the development team or betas to just make a creature save it as readable code then just archive them ready to be put into the game, they could probably make half a dozen or more on their lunch break if they have used it enough.
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 02:52:35 pm »
Kind of wish we knew the release date right now...

Anyways I really hope that they do release the creature editor before the game like they did with The Sim 2.
We were talking about that a while back, would be awesome to play around waiting for the game to come out.

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 04:50:48 pm »
hmm, I'm not sure I like the idea of having 1000s of starter creatures.. it kinda steals my own creative spark. But I guess from what I have seen from the clay-like flexibilty of the editor, it really wouldn't matter anyway. Your creatures will be as unique as your imagination I hope.
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline Dreyfuss

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • The Nezumi
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 05:23:39 pm »
I think when you start a new game part of the new game process will be randomly creating a few thousand species to start with.  There's no reason the game couldn't just whip together some random parts and churn out new species as you go either.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 05:33:08 pm »
Yeah, bujt you got to remember. Not all people have access to the internet. Even though I have to be on dial up the creatures are only 1k and it doesn't take me any time to get 1k even on dial up.