Author Topic: Will planets 'end'?  (Read 6864 times)

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
Will planets 'end'?
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:51:50 am »
Hey all - First post  ;D

I was wondering if anybody knew if Will said whether or not worlds will end through natural causes in Spore. By that I mean like in Sim Earth (for those who've played it) where the world ends after 10 billion years due to the star your planet orbits exhausting its fuel. Does anybody know if a similar thing may happen in Spore?

Sorry if this has been posted before, i did a small search and couldn't find much

Thanks  :D

dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Re: Will planets 'end'?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 11:55:52 am »
Well, some of the articles mentioned weapons that could destroy entire planets, but as for death by natural causes, I don't recall anyone saying anything. Still, I can't imagine a Wright game without a disaster menu, and I imagine some of them will be planet ending, so who knows? (THE SHADOW KNOWS!!!)
Wait for E3

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 11:58:07 am »
I wonder what happens if you destroy every planet in the game? A little CGI Will Wright pops up and says "Ugh, now look what you've done."

Online sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 04:14:52 pm »
well you may refrence back to what happened in the presentation. according to articles, when he went to that planet where the astroid belt was around it, he said something along the lines of, something happened here.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 04:44:25 pm »
I'm wondering, if I come across a planet and don't like the looks of it, say it has a pretty pink ring around it, can I destroy it and then use some sort of technology to rebuild it out of the rubble of the new astroid belt? (Yea sure, nevermind the fact the previous world already has a thriving civilization of billions of sentient beings, I mean, its their own fault for living on a world with a pink ring, right??) And if I can, am I going to have constant problems with astoroid impacts? (always a few spare parts left over when I fix things, go figure)

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 05:02:41 pm »
I know that terraforming exists.... so maybe planet-builders exist too.  My guess is that most planets are simply lifeless rocks for you to experiment with.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 12:53:14 am »
Well u do have to make way for your new hyper space by-passes.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 10:22:14 am »
Well u do have to make way for your new hyper space by-passes.

Thats true. Would we need to post a warning 50 years prior to demolition though  ;)

I guess we won't know anything new about this game until the end of the week  :)
dd/mm/yy

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:20:27 pm »
I ALWAYS give plenty of warning, posting my intentions clearly, for all to see. (At the planning board.....in the basement.....inside the closet......behind the old water cooler.......underneath the old "Guns and Roses" poster)

Offline James Shields

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I'm the best of the best you can forget the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 01:02:46 am »
I think it will be possible for you to end planets yourself but I doubt a planet would just end.
Violets are blue, roses are red.
I'm coming aboard prepare to eat lead.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 04:54:48 am »
Yeah, it'd be kind of annoying if you were just taking your first steps onto the land and BAM.
Wouldn't even know what the hell happened.
Or maybe you would, if it was the biggest freaking planet dinging asteroid in the universe. That'd be frightening.
And funny if you were looking at your planet's neighbor planet in the night sky and a big "thing" just nails it. Though I'd then be scared all over again expecting the King of the Cosmos to show up and either smash my planet or send his son down to collect ugly people and junk.

...yeah, I'm bored.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline James Shields

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • I'm the best of the best you can forget the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 06:47:32 am »
Now that I think about it planets dying might work, obviously it shouldnt happen early on in the game but it might work if old planets die and new planets are born as time passes. Also if your creatures are advanced enough they could maybe prevent the end of the world.
Violets are blue, roses are red.
I'm coming aboard prepare to eat lead.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 07:26:34 am »
Yeah, it'd be kind of annoying if you were just taking your first steps onto the land and BAM.
Wouldn't even know what the hell happened.
Or maybe you would, if it was the biggest freaking planet dinging asteroid in the universe. That'd be frightening.

lol

I didn't mean natural causes as in an asteroid randomly coming and pounding the planet. I meant like in Sim Earth when the game end's after 10 bn years, but in Spore, it obviously wouldn't be the end as long as you colonize other systems. I'm not bothered if they do end or not, because unless the game can create stars, then after a while, they'd all dissapear
dd/mm/yy

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 10:13:30 am »
Creating stars wouldn't be too tough, just blow up a few solar systems and influence matter collection and you've got yerself your own home-grown star, yes siree.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 07:58:35 pm »
Nah, too much trouble. Just get a sticky ball and start rolling it around crushing and collecting stuff until it gets so heavy it reaches critical mass and explodes into a new star. The trick is to toss it into the sky before it bursts into flame.  ;D

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 12:15:51 pm »
Nah, too much trouble. Just get a sticky ball and start rolling it around crushing and collecting stuff until it gets so heavy it reaches critical mass and explodes into a new star. The trick is to toss it into the sky before it bursts into flame. ;D

So we're going to have to create a Katamari Damacy species for it to work?