Author Topic: Steve, you said you were close. Close enough to see the computer he was using?  (Read 4894 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
The game sounds huge to everyone and what makes it sound even Bigger that huge is the fact that in the game they're using tech that's able to do so much and take up so little space!

It got many people to wondering "How much space will the game take up?" And so far none of us know the answer.

To get a rough idea, I would like to ask a question. "What kind of computer what he using?" I don't actually need the exact make and model, but i would like to know whether it was some sort of sleek smart supercomputer with a flat screen and more space then space itself or an old commidore 64. (lol. wouldn't that be scary.) or somewhere in between.

Now i'm making the assumption he used a computer, since i highly doubt he has telepathic mind powers and was able to beam the game into everyones minds, then make them think he did a whole presentation. Or does he?
*cue suspenseful music

Still, i would like to know. Steve if you, Or even anyone who was there, saw his computer and gained a rough idea of about how old or powerful it looked?

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
I wasn't there, but I can pretty much infer that he was probably using either a top of the line computer or at least near it - why would he use a sub-par computer when he is trying to show off his game?  Its not like Maxis is so poor that it can't afford a really new computer.  That's not to say it can't play on your computer (I have no clue about that).

A more accurate question might be: Did you notice any signs of slowdown/video lag steve? Because if we infer that he was using a new/brand new computer all decked out, and there was still slowdown/video lag, then we can be pretty sure it will be even worse on your computer (or else you wouldn't be asking).

Also - why the concern with size of the game?

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
It isn't really a concern, more of a curiosity then that. The game is said to take up less space then you would think but i'd like to know how much. So i do want to know how much gamespace i should plan to leave open for this on my computer. but also i just plain would like to know. The technology going into making this game is revolutionary, i just want to know how revolutionary it is.

(If they really could get the game to fit, let alone play well, on a computer as like the commadore 64 well then my brain would probably leave my head for a few minutes, just to get a breather from all the shock. meanwhile i would babble and drool for a little bit. with a little bit of twitching too probably. then my brain would come back and i would decide the best course of action from there. honestly, if they did that, with a few adjustments they would be able to fit like all 3 major consoles out now into a modern day cell phone. ok maybe a next gen cell phone, but still.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 06:28:57 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Somehow I get the impression that its not *that* revolutionary  :)

I think a large part of the innovation is the idea of player created content, and then somewhat the fact that its all done procedurely (wrong word perhaps).

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
I was close enough, but I didn't really take a look that closely. Also he had multiple computers running (one for the presentation slides, one for Spore). I believe they were both laptops, one Mac (for the presentation) and one PC (for Spore), but I am not 100% sure.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
So, do we know what computer Will uses to run Spore yet?
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

gec05

He always uses his Dell XPS laptop for his presentations now. I could assume he's using the desktop line for developing the game back at the studio.

Why did you bump this? :P

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile

I think it was to ask if there had been any update on the subject.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
He always uses his Dell XPS laptop for his presentations now. I could assume he's using the desktop line for developing the game back at the studio.

Yay. I have an XPS laptop. Slightly older model than Wright's, though.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
I've been thinking about getting one, with a docking station so I can use it like a desktop when I'm home, but ultimately decided to hold off until spore is released, so I can get maximum value from all these new techno advances.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
This a good question. Thank you for bumping this :D

gec05

I bet Will got the professional package on his lappy. Even if you can get an XPS, can you afford the high-end model?

Offline Blulightning

• Bezerk Brawler
  • Radioactive Kitty!!!
    • View Profile
This a good question. Thank you for bumping this :D

What exactly is the good question?

We already know that he now uses an XPS, probably top of the line when he got it, but the system requirements will be that near The Sims (or Sims 2?) or whatever, as you already know I'm sure.

The size of the game can't be much different, if the rest of the specs are similar.

While one concept of the game's design being extremely small file sizes... this will likely only apply for creatures/planets/etc. and other files that are to be stored (like saves) or sent over the internet.
Otherwise the compression of any other files will most very likely tremendously slow down the game.

The extreme compression that "procedural coding" can perform also takes tremendous amounts of resources to uncompress in order to use.

In my understanding, the ONLY WAY the developers could prevent this is to only compress the saved files (creatures, planets, plants, cities, etc.) to the proportions of 1kb and such.

gec05

Exactly!

Yeah, sure the creature takes up a small amout of space. Loading will be faster right? Wrong. Instead of loading files, it needs to recreate them from scratch by processing the provided procedural equations. There will still be load times, the question is: How fast can your computer process those equations?

Don't get me wrong or anything, just don't expect your game to load in the blink of an eye.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
I agree, I think having a fast CPU and lots of RAM will really help while playing Spore.
<<<< Click to enter.