Author Topic: A different universe than we'd expect...  (Read 9765 times)

gec05

A different universe than we'd expect...
« on: April 19, 2006, 04:36:47 pm »
You know how much science fiction movies do it. Humans are always the lesser evolved race and some super intelligent alien race comes to destroy us. What if it was the other way around? What if we were the super intelligent race and we stumble across another sentient race less developed than we are? This came up to me thinking about Spore. I've thought of this a lot an it could make a good movie.  Humans would spread their knowledge and control the galaxy and there would be an uprise from the alien races against the oppression. There would even be some underground human rebels against the federation on Earth. There will also be a large population of alien races living on Earth as well. And the federation exists in a metropolitan space station city orbiting Earth. There are also outpost stations outside the solar system, which show the true nature of how alien races are treated outside of Earth. This could be a good developing story.

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
Re: A different universe than we'd expect...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 04:49:49 pm »
There are plenty of sentient creatures on Earth already. I think the word you're looking for is "sapient".

And no, I'm never going to let this die until people stop making the same mistakes.

It would be different if the fact were a general knowledge thing; I wasn't aware of the term until I came here. Who cares?

A lot of people think about this, and the idea pops up in many places. But it goes to reason that people like the underdog better; and people like plot. A lot. Besides, if you go by "humans are naturally selfish and evil, or if not that too stupid to realize the consequences of their actions" we may just be the evil invaders, or accidental planet destroyers. Oops, were you living there?

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:07:18 pm »
And don't forget the Fermi paradox: if there are other intelligent beings in the galaxy, why aren't they here?

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:50:00 pm »
And don't forget the Fermi paradox: if there are other intelligent beings in the galaxy, why aren't they here?

Because they take one look at us and, seeing how destructive we are to our environment, quarantine this whole sector of space? ;)

Offline Global Nexus

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 07:54:12 pm »

I believe the quote is..."The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the Universe is that they haven't visited us." :p I often agree, as any Intelligent Life could see that there is no intelligence on Earth.  ;)

gec05

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:39:32 pm »
Ok, but thats besides the point. What if WE were more intelligent than other life in the galaxy.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 08:41:09 pm »
I still don't get the whole "Humans are bloodthirsty, ignorant savages who all deserve slow, painful deaths" vibe.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:58:29 pm »
I still don't get the whole "Humans are bloodthirsty, ignorant savages who all deserve slow, painful deaths" vibe.

I don't know about the "all deserve to die slow painful deaths bit", but the first half is basically true.

As to the topic of the post, I think it's a good idea and would be surprised if it hasn't been done in some form already. If it hasn't it's probably not a popular notion though because it would portray humans primarily as the "bad guys", and that idea is a lot harder to sell than the prospect of humans uniting against and defeating an outside invasive threat, promoting peace and prosperity and whatnot. Most people just don't like to stare at themselves in a mirror, go figure.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

gec05

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:03:05 pm »
Well did I mention that there is a rebel resistance among the humans? Not all of them will be bad. ;)

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:14:58 pm »
Ah but that's only a portion, gotta look at the big picture. Unless I've misunderstood a vital plot element. It's the very idea that the human species could be shown as an overpowering, oppressive race of intergalactic conquerers that most would be turned off to. Doesn't matter that there are some who don't agree with the methods or are resisting. Might help, but you've still made it clear humans at some point went out and started crushing less advanced aliens and taking over planets. It wouldn't fly unless you made these rebel humans the main focus, the aliens alone couldn't be the heroes. I'm sure there would be some people who could appreciate such an idea, but I don't think it would play well to a mainstream audience.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 09:37:40 pm »
Have you read the Xeelee Sequence? It's sort of a cross between this and Star Control.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 09:59:04 pm »
the truth is an ugly ugly thing...  the most powerful sector of human-kind today is the sector that has done the most barbaric things, conquering, subjugating, enslaving, controlling, colonizing, intimidating, etc.  (white-christian-roman/euro/american).  People want to see a fight but they don't want to admit that at the bottoms of our souls we just want to grind some poor defenseless punk beneath our feet.  So it manifests itself in humanity struggling for freedom from some oppressor race.

I think the idea of mankind as the bad guys is a great idea!  I mean, damn dude, what else would we be?  Look at our history!  (hope you can manifest this into a movie or book at some point ;) )

gec05

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 10:19:02 pm »
Well if the focus was not on humans, it would be the aliens. But my intentions are focused on this rebel group alliance, which includes the humans. The Federation itself is only made up of 20% percent of the human populace anyways so the rest of it is either neutral or rebel.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 10:25:34 pm »
ah... but then you'd be doing the same thing as has been done.

What if the focus was on the bad guys?  On the oppressors instead of the rebels... perhaps a slow and gradual revelation that those thought of as the good guys are actually the slavers.

gec05

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 10:42:15 pm »
Now I'm just confused about everyones opinion... ???