Author Topic: HD Era MISTAKES (XBox 360)  (Read 2355 times)

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
HD Era MISTAKES (XBox 360)
« on: May 14, 2005, 10:15:40 am »
Have you seen J Allard's keynote?

Here is one of his slides comparing the 3D Era to the HD Era of gaming:

3D Era:
  • Online as novelty
  • Mass entertainment
  • Wired
  • Multiplayer
  • On the disc
  • Commicates consume
HD Era:
  • Online as necessity
  • Personal entertainment
  • Wireless
  • Multiplatform
  • On the disc and on demand
  • Commicates create

Now there are a few conflicts about this...how can XBox achieve "Personal entertainment" by having a player connect online and playing with hundreds of people? Online gaming is becoming standard for gaming which is nice, but that excludes players who can't afford or don't have a broadband connection to the internet...and that discourages new consumers. XBox is also making the mistake by having all games HD because that forces people to upgrade their entertainment systems. This limits their system to an even smaller number of consumers because people will wonder "Why should I bother spending $300 on this system that I need to pay about $35 per month to play it's games which are all supposed to be online, and a few more thousand to buy a new TV?"

Anothing thing about online entertainment is...as more games are made in the future people stop playing the older games, so if games MUST be online compatible there may not be anyone to play with if you buy an old copy a few years after it's release.

I like offline single player titles because you don't need to rely on anybody to complete the game, and lag is not a factor.  Online should REMAIN a novelty.

If you create teams while you're playing MAdden for example al Microsoft claims is possible with the new XBox Live system, how can you be guarenteed the same people will be online when you need them? And even with current online games you need to compare countless rooms to see which one has the lowest ping, right amount of players, etc.  Also this is all very demanding for game publishers...now they have to be able to make a great STORY with sophisticated GRAPHICS, all with ONLINE CAPABILITY. I don't think so!

All of this not only discourages new consumers but also discourages promising new 3rd party developers!

Edit: Added table for the lists
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 10:18:37 am by s0lidmetal »

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: HD Era MISTAKES (XBox 360)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 10:35:24 am »
MIcrosoft seems like they're going to try to push the envelope as hard as they can with the PC world.   Microsoft can do anything they want with PC software to pull hardware along... 99 percent of the mass market don't even know that there's an alternative OS out there.  Doing the same with the XBox could be a mistake.... because there's always the PS3 and the new Nintendo console.  Console gaming is still about four people getting together at a house and playing Madden 2K5.  Console gaming has always been within the realm of friends.  It has recently moved (and boomed) into the "whup a complete stranger's a$$" that it's becoming.  Personally, I HATE online games of any sort because of moronic thirteen year olds who base their victory on some cheap tactic instead of skill, then when you dare to say something about it, you get cussed out like you killed the pope.  And with my busy schedule, I don't have time to spend five hours a night with a clan or some other society... especially in long consecutive stints.  So, if they REQUIRE me to meet total strangers (with my introvert self), then I'm not buying one.  Most people that I know like the idea of having buddies in the same room or they use XBox live to play with the buddies they're away from... more like LAN gaming and less like MMO games.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline mikeha

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 02:42:01 pm »
What do they mean by "multiplatform"? Do they mean that Xbox live users will be able to play with PS2/3, PC and Mac users?

Also, they aren't forcing you to upgrade to an HDTV to play the Xbox 360. HD is requred to be supported for all games, but an HDTV is not required to use the XBox 360, you just won't get the "full" effect without an HDTV.

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 03:19:11 pm »
I think when they say multiplatform they mean playing games with people on multiple consoles.  It could also mean they will let PC users interact with XBox users though.  Remember Steve talked about the next generation of multiplatform games emerging in his podcast? (e.x. PS2->PSP->cell phone->PC all playing the same game together)

If that's what they mean about the HD TV stuff, well won't that limit gameplay alot?  You won't be able to see things offscreen if you haven't upgraded your TV...  And if game makers don't plan to have anything extra on the sides other than scenery, isn't that sort of a waste and unecessary?

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 06:09:59 pm »
What a crock. I'm not a millionaire. And I'll be even more poor when I'm going through college soon. RETRO EDIT1: <-- LOL

Online as necessity? That's garbage. I don't want to be online all the time. Tron says exactly what I was thinking.
Personal entertainment? I don't understand how the HD era is all of a sudden personal, as opposed to mass.
Wireless? I don't like wireless. I don't want to worry about receivers and batteries and finding my controller. RETRO EDIT2: Cool. Who cares?
Multiplatform? Oh, yeah. Right. Like my friends are all going to get an XBox and an HDTV when we're earning $8.25 an hour. RETRO EDIT3: That's not what multiplatform means you dumbass.
What does "on the disc and on demand" even mean?
I assume by "commicates" you mean communicates. But even then, I don't get that last one either. RETRO EDIT4: Still don't know WTF this means.

It all sounds like an expensive nightmare in any case.
More and more, it looks like I'll be passing this one by... RETRO EDIT5: Dohohohoho.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:38:17 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom