Author Topic: Interface and Controls  (Read 7882 times)

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
Interface and Controls
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:43:52 pm »
Hey Steve,
I was just wondering if you have any more details to tell us on the inteface and controls in this game.
Are there lots of text menus like the Sims or is it all graphical like in the pictures?
Does the interface ever change from the little box in the corner that you describe in your podcast?
Also, do you have any idea how the game was controlled in the parts where you played a single creature or the UFO (Was it mouse, keyboard, or a combination)?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 02:19:34 pm by Bios Revision »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Interface and Controls
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:08:53 pm »
The controls were very much like The Sims 2. All of the menus were graphical (I saw almost zero text) with the menus on the left-side of the screen during the "creation" screen. There was also a "pop-up" interface that appeared in the top center of the screen when Will wanted to do something with the UFO. Again, all icons and they looked exactly like those you see in The Sims 2.

It appeared that he controlled most of the game during the demo using a mouse, and at times using the keyboard. But it was largely mouse-driven (but it was hard to tell exactly).
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Masterharper, Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 06:11:22 pm »
I was wondering about this too. The design tools for Sims in Sims 2 are really really detailed...in the way of humans. But for a design tool to let you create ANYTHING creature-wise you can think of its gonna have to be a lot more intricate. Does it seem that way? Does it honestly give you options? Also: Can your creatures fly? Can you make little dragons and whatnot?

Offline legameboy

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Meep!
    • View Profile
    • Echonet
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 06:13:18 pm »
I have a general idea that Will Wright is giving you the tools of a god, so go for it, Mika.  ;)

If the interface is something like the Sims 2, then I have nothing against it. >_>

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Masterharper, Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:14:34 pm »
Oh no, the creator for Sims 2 wasn't bad interface wise. It gave you a hell of a lot of options. But having the parameters of what can exist on a human body and having the ability to create absolutely any body feature is different. :P

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 06:40:05 pm »
The controls were very much like The Sims 2. All of the menus were graphical (I saw almost zero text) with the menus on the left-side of the screen during the "creation" screen. There was also a "pop-up" interface that appeared in the top center of the screen when Will wanted to do something with the UFO. Again, all icons and they looked exactly like those you see in The Sims 2.

It appeared that he controlled most of the game during the demo using a mouse, and at times using the keyboard. But it was largely mouse-driven (but it was hard to tell exactly).

Thanks for the prompt, informative reply Steve :). There's still just one thing that I'd appreciate you trying to clear up, though:
Are the controls like Sims in that when you want to, say, eat another creature do you just click on the creature to open a menu and select an "eat creature" option or do you use the keyboard arrows, etc. to run over and attack like a more traditional control style?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 06:42:21 pm by Bios Revision »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 07:21:16 pm »
Are the controls like Sims in that when you want to, say, eat another creature do you just click on the creature to open a menu and select an "eat creature" option or do you use the keyboard arrows, etc. to run over and attack like a more traditional control style?

Hum, I'm not 100% sure. That went by so fast that I couldn't catch it. Also, Will only ate one creature. I believe it worked like The Sims 2 in that a menu popped up and then you could select an "attack" icon. Don't quite remember 100%.

I do remember lots and lots of blood during the battle.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline legameboy

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Meep!
    • View Profile
    • Echonet
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 07:24:11 pm »
Lots of blood, hmm, that will undoubtedly bring up questions about the rating of the game.

Speaking of questions about the ESBR rating of "Spore," might you shed light on that for us, Steve? :P

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 08:02:21 pm »
Awesome!
Got Gaming Steve forum membership?

Wulf

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 01:40:04 am »
Steve, in your podacst (I think) you said that the creature was ripping individual body parts off and eating them. Were the body parts the designated 'hand' 'foot' 'head' 'tail' or were they actual chunks of flesh like on the molded body?

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 08:09:31 am »
The carnage didn't start until the creature was down, first off. Will's creature didn't bite limbs off a living creature.

It APPEARED that he was consuming limbs off the creature, but that may have been an optical illusion. The creature was definitely getting SMALLER as he ate.

-Craig

Wulf

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 07:05:01 pm »
They should have gone all out ninja with the bodies. Muscles, bones (yes I know) different layers of flesh and skin. It's ben my dream to make a game kinda like SOF but with even smaller zones.

Offline WeltallZero

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 07:13:19 am »
Actually, the more detail you go into, the less possibilities you have. If you focus your editor on creating beings which are structuraly similar to beings on the Earth, it'll only be really good for creating those, and you'll have to constantly work around these constraints to make what you want. The more general the editor is kept, the more freedom the player will have to think out of the box.

Wulf

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 07:45:14 am »
Um...But they already have skin and a skeleton. All they need is the flesh...

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 08:18:19 am »
Skin and bone are nothing compared to actual musculature. Plus I think it'd just be too much of a hassle. The muscles on a fish or other finned creature are organized entirely differently than a creature with limbs. I'll still have suspension of disbelief if my critters don't deform properly. Plus, think of the specs, man! ;)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner