Author Topic: Hybrids?  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
Hybrids?
« on: May 13, 2005, 04:02:09 pm »
Did will specifically mention the possibility of creature hybrids at the gdc?

I am really hoping this is an aspect that isnt overlooked.. I mean how cool would it be to not only swap creatures with your friends.. but also have kids with them? (well, err in the game that is).

I'm speculating that it could be some kind of technology that gets discovered later in the game... I mean with all the math working the animation out - it doesn't seem like a total impossibility. Wev'e also seen it in the sims 2 with genetics, so hopefully this feature will be included.

I mean "impossible creatures" royally sucked but I have to admit, it was supremely enjoyable to see what a Spermwhale/baboon would look like. :D

It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrids?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 05:17:41 pm »
yeah if that is a aspect of the game you could have some cool or really jacked up looking things. i hope this is in the game.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:06:22 am »
It's entirely possible. Maybe it'll be released as an add-on?

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:41:48 am »
But in the Sims 2, all my kids ended up getting cornrows. WTF? Seeing a white kid with cornrows made me wish there was a 'beat child and send to military school' interaction. It's both unflattering and pathetic. Fo shizzle.

It has to be abstracted down to numbers and classes on some level, so one can only imagine how difficult it would be to write a program that mixes two creatures and creates a child that actually resembles a hybrid, instead of a mutant that has no resemblance to either one. (Well you might be able to imagine if you know a lot about coding, in which case you can explain how wrong I am and I'll pretend to understand.)

Doesn't mean they won't do it though, certainly it seems to go along with the idea of alien abductions and whatnot. A feature doesn't need to be perfect to be put into a game.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 01:58:19 am by Stromko »

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 09:51:43 am »
Did will specifically mention the possibility of creature hybrids at the gdc?

I am really hoping this is an aspect that isnt overlooked.. I mean how cool would it be to not only swap creatures with your friends.. but also have kids with them? (well, err in the game that is).

I'm speculating that it could be some kind of technology that gets discovered later in the game... I mean with all the math working the animation out - it doesn't seem like a total impossibility. Wev'e also seen it in the sims 2 with genetics, so hopefully this feature will be included.

I mean "impossible creatures" royally sucked but I have to admit, it was supremely enjoyable to see what a Spermwhale/baboon would look like. :D

Don't diss IC. That was an awesome game.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 10:23:04 am »
Depending on how 'realistic' the creature genetics will be hybrids may be difficult, however a technology might be invented later on in the game when you have your UFO with interstellar drive that can interbreed or make a hybrid by morphing genetics.

The only reason i say it might be difficult because in the real world its near impossible if not in fact totally impossible to mate non-related species naturally, plants seem to be easier but hybrids only seem to take place with like for like species, such as horse type animals or dogs (although dogs are all decended from the original wolf genome so you could really take 2 different type of dog and make a new hybrid mongrel, and yes i beleive you could mate like a chihuahua with a great dane although artificial insemination would have to be involved  ???)

But there is nothing to discount hybrids because as i said a technology could be researched to do it.
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Nuriboy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 11:04:26 am »
Yeah I'm kind of imagining if this is a feature it will perhaps be integrated later in game.  Like when your nation of creatures begins to become more and more hi-tech, they develop something called a "gene splicer" for research purposes.

In creatures 2, albiet a not very good example, you could breed your creatures together ect.. but later in the game you could fine a gene splicer where you could create hybrids between two different species.

Half the time you creature died because the genetics were unstable... but it was a lot of fun seeing what frankensteins you could come out with!
It could be frankie. It could be very fresh and clean. It could be a balloon.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 04:19:24 pm »
We discussed this along time ago, but the main problem with hybrids is what if you crossed a spider like creature with a ape like creature. You don't want legs coming out pof their stomache.

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 04:24:48 pm »
yeah legs poking out of a stomach would be pretty jacked up  :o