Poll

Will Spore come out this year or next year?

this year
10 (31.3%)
next year
22 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: May 17, 2005, 05:46:10 pm

Author Topic: Spore realease day  (Read 10952 times)

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Spore realease day
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 04:29:56 am »
i think sgores first idea could be possible maybe

Offline Snooty

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Snooty Spore
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 10:00:09 am »
As I also wrote at GameFaqs, looking back at the history of Sims 2, the first screenshots from that game came 1 year, 9 months before the release date. Those pics looked just like if they were taken now; That's because the graphical part was completed. Why did it take so long before it got released?
The AI needed to be improved, Create-A-Sim, neighbourhoods, bugfixing and just a 'simple' thing as aspirations alone delayed the game with 6 months.
And Spore isn't even officially announced yet with some sort of press release. My closest bet is Christmas next year.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 05:30:26 pm »
AND.... content creation and programming of objects.  They had to build an insanely huge compendium of "stuff" to go into all of these houses.  WIll Wright personally admitted that hte game itself was ready a year before it came out.... the rest was content creation, which he hopes to avoid in Spore.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 06:24:25 pm »
Hell, maybe they'll surprise us again. The first sight (GDC) anyone ever had of Spore was a complete surprise, and it also looked pretty good already.
I know there's more to it than looks, but Will could have been only showing off a few features here and there. There was probably much more to it.

I guess we'll see in a few days...  ;D
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 07:00:43 pm »
Steve makes a good point in his latest podcast. Even if it is finished, they might just sit on it (maybe simmer develop to have 'cutting edge' features when its released) for a while until the TheSims2 sales start to eb. Makes good business sense, Spore is going to be competing with TheSims crowd, but it sucks for people like us that would rather build creatures rather than telling our character to take a leak.

-Lego

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 07:06:32 pm »
I dunno.  I know of folks that have psent over 200 bucks on The Sims and it's expansions.  I think another fifty bucks isn't going to be too much to ask, especially for those looking to add a compliment to The Sims.  (This is just me being over-hopeful, ignore me if ya wanna :)).

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 09:09:27 pm »
Yeah, but when you look at it from a money stand point (EA's at least) you get two different paths with the customers.

"Sheeple Customer Process #1"
Buys The Sims2 ($50)
Plays it for 90 days... wants more
Buys expansion for SIms2 ($30)
Plays it for 90 days, Spore comes out, they switch to it ($50)
One year three months has past and they've spent $190 on software.

"Sheeple Customer Process #2" - Spore comes out sooner
Buys The Sims2($50)
Spore Comes out, player opts to switch to it instead. Doesn't have time for both games, stops spending money on The Sims2 ($50)
EA takes in $130 instead of $190, faster (six months) but they lost a customer base to TheSims2 (and potentially another $60)

The second way will show a higher initial spike, but the first way makes better money sense over time.

The only way to really speed it up (there isn't any real competition for TheSims crowd right now) would be to have Spore released by a competitor.

The more I think about it (and I'd rather not as I'm really wanting this to come out) EA will probalby hold Spore in inactive reserve until sales start to fall on TheSims2.

-Lego

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 10:29:27 pm »
Why would EA realease Spore now?  It makes no sense.  Because then nobody would bother playing The Sims 2 or any of the expansion packs they plan to release...they are just gonna milk the franchise for all it's worth first...

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 11:20:52 am »
Those pictures look very good, and the game looks like it dosn't have long to go. I'd like it to come out soon, but I'm guessing before March next year *crosses fingers*
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 11:41:34 am »
I think the only way it will come out sooner than a sales slump for the Sims2 would be to counter a competiters sfotware title (back to waiting for E3)
-Lego

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2005, 12:30:34 pm »
I was thinking that if EA announces to hold it back til like christmas of next year, we let them hype it up a little bit, and then start a website to boycott Sims 2 (to try and get EA to push Spore ahead or consider the consumers more in future decisions) - EA shouldn't be allowed to have its cake and eat it too. ^^

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2005, 02:20:21 pm »
Also remember that we're assuming that everyone is going to like Spore.  A few other boards I've read communicate to me that a large amount of the female Sims population have no interest in this game whatsoever because they're dedicated so much time to their Sims; they actually perfer the real life sim to the universe sim.  There are also the hardcore FPS'ers that I know who could care less if Will Wright won a Nobel Prize for Spore... they're sill gonna play CS until their fingers are raw.  To me, Spore isn't going to be a part time game (despite my last post, as I've thought about it).  It's a 100 or 200 or 300 hour sandbox that can engross one's creative side.  How that fits into EA's marketing plan, I dunno.  I wish it were like to good ole days where a game could be released as soon as it was done. 

Then again, perhaps we're all reading too far into the situation... maybe it'll be like most games and come out whenever it really is done.  Guess it depends on EA's confidence in the game since they're the gatekeepers.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 02:22:36 pm by Tr0n »

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2005, 02:32:38 pm »
Yeah, like Tron mentioned earlier, they'll need something to compete with The Movies and B&W2.  So hopefull whenever those come out, so will Spore?
XYZZY!

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2005, 04:23:46 pm »
well alot of our hopes and questions will be answered very soon ;D

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2005, 04:44:55 pm »
As much as I'd like for Spore to be released soon (hell i'd prob pay 120 bucks right now if it was avaliable) I'd rather them fix the bugs and make sure it's perfect. I hope its out by christmas

Also I remember EA losing profits in the past months, so that could possible be a good sign for early release.(possible I said)