7 (16.3%)
Creature B
14 (32.6%)
Creature C
11 (25.6%)
Creature D
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Oviraptor's Creatures  (Read 14336 times)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Oviraptor's Creatures
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 05:11:07 pm »
A's legs look to out of place and in organic for it's body. I suppose if it's legs were chitin-encased and insect-like, I'd give it a pass. Otherwise it looks to out of place for me. Though it is drawn well.

It's legs are indeed chitin-like. In fact, all its "bones" are like that; including the "horns" you see on the front and rear.

B is intriguing but I don't see anyway for it to interact with it's environment. Isn't some form of environmental manipulator required for the [NG] game? It really is an awesome design, but I still don't see it making it as a sentient creature, perhaps you could relegate it to have a purpose the overall ecosystem of whatever creature eventually wins. I especially like the head(?) region. I suppose that's some sort of sensory organ on the large blade-like head(?)? It's really fascinating.

This one's manipulators are the pair of blobby looking protrusions near it's "head." They work in the same fashion as the "legs." You are indeed correct about the "head."

C is interesting. I chose it mainly because I can sort of see how it could of advanced to that stage, although it's body(?)/head(?) thing seems to angular. Do you suppose it's "suction arms" are strong enough to propel it if it grabs the ground? I mean if they are meant to be "arm-like" they have to be kind of strong if dealing with prey. I suppose it's a class of pseudopod? I kind of want to suggest a cephalopod-esque approach, specifically the octopus. It uses it's manipulators (tentacles) in order to move around it's environment. You can keep the pseudopod "foot", but relegate it to some purpose like waste removal or something? Just a suggestion, but only because if something is terribly slow, unless it's massive, it's chances of survival are slim. If you have some sort of defensive means, then by all means elaborate (and consequently ignore everything I said).

It indeed has defensive means. The whole body is a hard shell, so when in danger, it simply tucks its "foot" into its shell and retracts its tentacles until they are just nubs. Their tentacles don't work like cephalopods on Earth. They only have one suction cup and it is on the end. The highly maneuverable tentacles are basically an adaptation to being slow; they move around a lot faster that it does.

D is just interesting. It has a (somewhat) believable concept and it could prove to have several distinct advantages to it depending on the environment. It is by far the most likely creature. Sexual Dimorphism is an interesting concept of that degree is interesting as well. Which is the "male" and which is the "female"? Is the flying one the male? Or have I misunderstood, and it has a two-stage development process, similar to a caterpillar/butterfly's three stage larvae/pupil/adult metamorphosis and the sexual dimorphism occurs in the adult stage?

Being that they aren't of Earth, saying "male" and "female" would not be technically the correct thing to do. But for the purposes of relating it to Earth, it would be the larger ones that are most like females on Earth. They are indeed to different genders, one never becomes the other.

I hope that answers your questions. I've already thought through most of the biology of all of these creatures. I do that every time I draw something. I have to do that in order to draw anything properly. Though I must admit, the creature b was a little rushed.

Anyone else is free to ask questions, too. Though I won't be able to answer any questions unless they are biological ones, since that's as far as I have gotten.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 05:53:19 pm »
So, how does B's manipulators work exactly? Are they sticky? Can they extend? Are they malleable/prehensile? Are the holes on it's back some form of respiratory system? A waste system? Or are they simply patterns, and not 'holes' as they appear? I assume it's gait is kind of weird. It would switch between Big-Leg Small-Leg in order to get forward or backward momentum?  You said it's underbelly is soft and malleable, what function does that serve? I mean why would that have been an advantageous mutation in the species? Is it an area that's difficult for predators to attack since it could possibly conform to whatever was attempting to harm it? What "type" of sensory organ is that on the head? I mean I doubt it has an earthly comparison, but I kind of (probably due to the lines in the drawing) see it as some sort of air-intake sensor or perhaps it's olfactory in nature? If those lines indicate "hair-like" structures, than perhaps it measures certain aspects of it's environment? Perhaps it can also pick up sound and "smell" all with the same sensory organ?

On C, now I see. I had assumed when you said suction you had meant like that on a tentacle. How adept are the "suction-teeth" (I assume it's part of a mouth structure, if not it must surely work in a similar capacity as human hands or an elephant trunk) and manipulating objects? Can it control how strong it's grasp is efficiently enough to perform the delicate operations required for a High-Technology society? Or are they a Low-Technology Species that specializes? Perhaps it is biology that lets them get to the Space-faring instead of technology? I know you've not progressed that far into their history, but you can at least surmise where you want them to go eventually. What prevents a creature from turning them upside down and eating their gooey underbelly? Or at least "tearing" the foot to get to the internals of the creature? The shell, at least as it's depicted, is angular which means instead of rolling into a correcting position it's likely to get stuck on it's back. So keeping an adapted predator from turning over the creature and taking it's time feasting? Also approximately how large is it? What is the scale for most of these creatures in fact? It seems only B and D would have any considerable sizes to them.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 05:34:42 pm »
Your questions are getting really specific now. :P I'll try to give the brief version:

Creature B: The holes are for breathing; the malleable "legs" and "arms" have a blanket of muscles that can ripple and fold in all sorts of shapes; the sensory organ is on the front edge of the "head," it's a combination of infrared vision and heat sense (it's seamless to them), though it does have some chemoreceptors as well.

Creature C: The tentacles are capable of a high degree of precision; the bottom of the foot is very tough; the shell may be angular from this view, but if you viewed it from the front, it wouldn't be.

Approximate scales:

A: About the size of a donkey

B: About the size of a small sheep

C: About the size of a large microwave

D: The larger one is huge, on the scale of the largest dinosaurs that ever lived; the smaller one is much smaller, maybe the size of a large fruit bat.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 02:57:46 pm »
C
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 08:39:33 am »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, remember this poll I made? Well, I chose D (I know it didn't win, but I like it better than B). Well, here are finalized drawings I made (I only got around to coloring one of them):

Enjoy!

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 08:43:15 am »
Hmm... Maybe i should recreate C in spore. You of course would get the mentioned as coming up with the original concept.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 08:48:38 am »
You should do that, I made 5 of his Sagan creatures in Spore last year. It was fun.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 12:08:41 am »
Wow! Ovi is like some rare bird that only appears like every 2 years.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 03:27:57 pm »
I believe I would be classified as an Ent.

Let's see... stay on topic...

Well, here is a creature I don't think I ever posted that I made almost two years ago...

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 04:03:32 pm »
Neat! You should make a new Sagan 4 species. :D