Author Topic: automatic/computer-generated evolution will there be any?  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Re: automatic/computer-generated evolution will there be any?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43:41 pm »
But, as one of the developers said, it would change the creature from what its creator wanted it to be.

"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 09:45:29 pm »
But, as one of the developers said, it would change the creature from what its creator wanted it to be.

Who wants to take their word?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline qyasogk

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 07:25:00 am »
you guys are missing the easy answer to this! a person's creature is an endpoint. if the server's have multiple snapshot points of my creature as i evolved him, then when my creature is uploaded into your game, the computer picks whatever point it wants along the axis of my creatures evolution, up to his endpoint. that way the computer doesn't to calculate anything. tjen all previous evolutions of my creature would be available.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 08:02:22 am »
that's an EXCELLENT solution!!  :)  Although I prefer my smoke and mirrors solution, this one is quite ingenius, and for the net-connected it's a very real possibility!  :)

good thoughts qya

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 08:13:25 am »

If you think about it, that's quite silly. The original creator is never going to see it on someone else's system, so why should they care? Do you want the creature to be exactly the same in every other person's game?

Well maybe you do, but it's not like you'd know about it.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 08:39:19 am »

If you think about it, that's quite silly. The original creator is never going to see it on someone else's system, so why should they care? Do you want the creature to be exactly the same in every other person's game?

Well maybe you do, but it's not like you'd know about it.
maybe if it is a nonoriginal creature, Giant Penis or something, it has no meaning in the earlier stages of the evolution, so it won't be a giant penis created by the computer. BTW I prefer the idea of up/downloading the whole evolution of a creature step by step
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 09:24:50 am »
wy must we cope with the certainty of a giant, liquid spiting, flying, penis? :(
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 09:33:27 am »
What about this idea:

1. Computer populates your planet with a specific set of creatures (some downloaded, others came with the DVD, etc)
2. Each time you add something to your creature the computer will create more of them and make them live in different environments (it will somehow make it so that you won't encounter any of them until you reach breeding stage), after you reach breeding stage your creature will exist all around the planet in tribes and as they will live in different environments (tropical, cold, etc) they will have to adapt to the climate, etc (how evolution would work in-game is explained later).
3. As you reach sentience only the exact species you created by yourself will become sentient, maybe another 2/3 would be cool (even if they were of some other species originated from an organism other than your own).
4. At the same time the computer would have populated your planet with other creatures that have nothing to do with yours, those creatures would also evolve through time, just as yours.
5. The computer would for example put a "Computer Evolved NPC" label on creatures evolved by the computer so that they wouldn't be updated to the database, they would remain on your computer and you could of course burn them to a CD if you wanted to give them to a friend, but they would still contain that label and wouldn't be updated even if in another computer. (this would be easy to implement since I've seen somewhere a picture of how the creatures would be listed, as well as other objects and they appear to have an ID code so for example imagine that they make the ID codes "0AZOXK", the 0 being a creature made by the player, if they define 1 as being one evolved by computer then we would have "1AZOXK" and it would no longer be updated.

Now here's how I think creatures should evolve, instead of writting an essay about it I will give an example. Imagine we start with a creature such as a rat or something.

Creature is sent to tropical climates:
- Rat will not need it's fur anymore.
- Dangerous creatures usually live in tropical climates, as well as poisonous ones, depending on wether the rat is a more defensive-style creature or a more attack-inclined creature, as well as based on what it eats (herbivorous tend to be more defensive while carnivorous attack, etc) it would probably evolve spines where it had fur to defend itself and maybe some kind of poison sting to attack it's prey (in the case of a carnivore).
- Since tropical climates have lots of vegetation the creature would maybe grow a bit depending on the size of the other creatures around but it wouldn't grow a lot in order to get food from trees because it would be used to eat insects, or some vegetation from the ground.
- The rat might prefer to live alone instead of in groups.

Creature is sent to high and cold climates, like mountains for example:
- Air is thin and cold, the rat will need to grow bigger and have more fur, here it's a good place for that creature to grow a lot.
- There won't be much vegetation, similar animals will live around so the rat might become a carnivore and develop big fangs and become stronger. If some vegetation is available (plants that resist the cold) the rat might prefer to keep eating plants and therefore evolve some kind of defense against carnivores.
- Rats will walk in large groups as it helps them survive, protect each other and keep warm.
- They might hybernate.

Creature is sent to a savana/desert (probably savana is better):
- Carnivores are usual so it might evolve in order to look intimidating, it might as well grow a lot bigger if it prefers to remain an herbivore since carnivores tend to stay away from big animals even if those animals are not dangerous but because of their weight and size they could easily kill the carnivore.
- Since vegetation is mostly on trees, depending of what the rat eats it might develop so that it has a longer and bigger body able to get to the top of the trees (think of how giraffes have a huge neck and how they usually eat stuff from tall trees where without the neck they wouldn't be able to get there)
- Rats will walk in small or huge groups in order to survive, due to the hot climate they will probably have shorter fur or develop some kind of reflective skin which will keep them cool (elephants?), they would probably also be able to hold huge quantites water in their bodies (if it were a desert, think of camels).

Creature is sent to a climate where lots of water is available:
- Rat might decide to adapt to the water completely and start living in water, or it might adapt partially and live near water most of it's life, it will probably develop a dolphin-like skin and some kind of protection against water creatures, etc.
- It will live in small groups, it will probably have plenty of food available.

Creature prefers to eat birds:
- A rat has a hard time hunting birds so it might develop some kind of way to fly (wings) or jump and hover (flying squirrels :o) in order to get them, it might as well be fast and strong.
- It will probably exist in very small groups.

In general:
- For each climate not only one but many variants of the same species would exist, some would prefer the defensive approach, others the offensive one. some would prefer to eat plants, others would prefer to eat animals. some would prefer to spend most of their time on trees, while others not.
- The amount of different species that would be generated and how they would evolve would depend on the availability of space, the comparison of its size with other species which live in the same environment, what kind of weapons or defenses the other species have, what kind of food preference this species has as well as the food preference of other species (carnivores tend to eat herbivores and not other carnivores since it is more efficient and they don't take such a big risk of being killed), the temperature, the geography of the area where they live, availability of food and water, etc. (this was all taken from the idea behind mass extinctions, every time a planet suffers a mass extinction there is more space available, as well as less risk of being eaten and more food available for the species that survived).
- Remember that all species are evolving and all of them are trying to do exactly the same which is being the perfect species, they are all competing for survival between each other and because of that there are infinite possibilities of evolution and we wont get stuck in an infinite loop of very similar creatures forever since all of them are changing and everytime one of them changes the others have to adapt to that.

Personally I don't think this would spoil the game in any way, it would make it more amazing to play and I would love to go away from some moon I colonized with my creatures from my original planet for a couple of days and see how differently they have evolved from the creatures in my planet when I come back.

Even if this doesn't come with the original game, I bet Spore will be moddable and that there will be ways to detect what kind of environment a creature is in, altitude, what kinds of creatures, sizes, etc live around it, etc and therefore even the fan community could create a MOD for Spore if it is possible to MOD it. I would certainly be willing to join in a modding group which would be willing to do something like this (that is, if Spore is gonna be moddable), this way only the players who wanted to see evolution happening would see it and the players who would like to play it the normal way with the same creatures remaining forever on the planet without changing would play it their way. Even Will Wright's team could do this by creating an option where we would check if we wanted the computer to evolve creatures by itself.

If you read until here, congrats *gives a cookie* :)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline beastt

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I be back, With cats!
    • View Profile
    • Teh Janth
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 06:50:47 pm »
i like that idea, climate related evoluton, thx for the cookie ^^
It's caturday, Post some cats!

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 11:02:41 am »
i like that idea, climate related evoluton, thx for the cookie ^^

Was it really neccesary to bring this thread back from the dead, just to thank someone ?

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 11:17:33 am »
Guess so ;)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Serak

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Megaman Regalia
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 04:39:34 pm »
Well, I think based on the fac there'll be generation I bet it'll take the form of the creature from the generation you are in.

Ex. If your creature goes from geneartion 5-6 It'll replace the generation 5 version's with the generation 6 version of the NPC creatures. If yo were to take a really long time in the creature stage beyond how far other creatures go either the computer would

A. Keep it the same

or

B. Slightly alterate once you've passed how far it's generations go.

Offline beastt

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I be back, With cats!
    • View Profile
    • Teh Janth
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 03:55:56 am »
Sorry about bringing the thread back, I had been away for a while, thats all =/
It's caturday, Post some cats!