Author Topic: ODDWORLD - a "feature planet" in the Spore Universe  (Read 43091 times)

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: ODDWORLD - a "feature planet" in the Spore Universe
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 03:31:53 am »
Regarding what Carol Shaw said in her talk:  With the Sims Exchange they would regularly get calls from Marvel complaining that there were Spiderman Skins on the Exchange and so Maxis would compliantly and quickly have them removed.  The fact that it's non-profit doesn't matter, the fact that it's user-made doesn't matter.  What matters (as Daxx had pointed out in the copyrights thread) is brand control.  Marvel must at all times approve every incarnation of Spiderman and the others.  If it wasn't Marvel approved then the company loses (little by little) its hold over the Spiderman brand and image.

Nobody will get sued, and it depends on the company.  If you make and upload a smurf, Maxis might never hear about it from a corporate phone call, if you make an Alien they almost certainly will hear about it.
Yep, as Steve said in (I think) the Podcast before last, the way they'll do it is to remove the content from the err... pollenation server (?) and you get a 'black mark' against your name and a warning. If you make too much copyrighted/explicit content, you will eventually be banned from uploading any more content.

This raises the point that, if we so wished, would there be some sort of checkbox to stop certain creatures being uploaded to the server? What if I just-so-happen to like making races of walking genitalia (just for example, ahem.) and don't want to allow other users to see them?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 05:50:51 am »
This has been addressed a few times and I think we've gotten a semi-conclusive answer that we will be able to designate stuff for 'non-upload'.  If it wasn't given a conclusive answer, the question certainly was tossed around a lot.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 08:42:20 am »
This has been addressed a few times and I think we've gotten a semi-conclusive answer that we will be able to designate stuff for 'non-upload'.  If it wasn't given a conclusive answer, the question certainly was tossed around a lot.
I guess a lot of people want to make flying "members".

Maybe we'll find out after E3. <- man, I should make that my signature.

Offline Zen

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Mat Brady
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2006, 06:48:25 am »

Whoops!      :o :o :o

It seems in my original post that started this thread people missed what I said about...

for now let's conveniently leave out all the legalities for others to sort out / approve / bargain / etc…

I said this because there are far more interesting things to be gained by exploring what lies beyond this legal barrier.  AND IT'S VERY VERY INTERESTING...

Like how Spore Mudokans would actually fare against Spore Scrabs and Spore Fleeches, etc.  Spore Oddworld would actually behave MUCH differently than what we see in the original games of Oddworld. 

In the original game the Glukkons are made to be tyrannical rulers, but they are actually very weak- this is created this way to support a specific narrative, however... Chances are the emergent behaviours of Spore Oddworld would get a completely different outcome if the Spore Oddworld Inhabitants were left to their own devices.   Would Spore Scrabs become the dominant species?  Maybe.  However Scrabs in Oddworld were fiercely territorial.  If one of them would be near another they would forget about you and fight each other.  So...

- How would a Spore Scrab decide if they are territorial to this degree or not? 

- Do we choose this in the editor? 

- What indicators are there that they run in herds, packs or by themselves? 

Interesting indeed.  And that's what I meant by getting past the legal stuff and talk about the game itself.  Since we have more of an indirect influence in this than we do with any legal conversations, then I think this is the wiser alternative, no? 

Also, very few people picked up on my last remarks, about visiting other worlds other than Spore Oddworld.  Like Hoth, Tatooine, or... dum,dum,DAAA!!! ...The World Of The Dark Crystal!!!!  How cool would that be???  Personally I think this has been just begging to be made into a game for years now, but no-one's been brave enough to.  But think- a world with

Gelflings
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3108/gelflings1.jpg

The four-armed urRu,   (Also known as Mystics)
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/3108/mystics1.jpg

The evil Skeksis,
http://shampoo-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/kotei/pict/photo/skeksis_1.jpg

The tall and elegant landstriders,
http://habidabad.com/images/landstriders_1.JPG

The beetle-like Garthim
http://www.larping.net/pictures/garthim.jpg

And the stupidly cute pod people.  
http://www.eukota.com/THEA80/darkcrystal/images/podlings2.gif

With Gelflings the females have wings. -  Will/can there be such specific gender differences in Spore? 

(BTW, for all you Dark Crystal fans, the sequel is coming out in 2007!!!  That's right- The Power Of The Dark Crystal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_the_Dark_Crystal and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460907/ )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For all those people still worried about copyright issues...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering how small the creature files will be (and the building files and fauna files, etc), I could literally email an entire world to my friends to download into their universes.  Simple.  I could go to a person's website and download a world from his/her fan site.  There's nothing stopping an underground fan base to circulate their illegal Spore creations, and I say go for it!  Mores the better.  So catch your breath and settle down please.  You're worrying about nothing. 

I still entertain the possibility that professionally made feature planets will be seen in Spore one day.  If not for any other reason than the enormous popularity this game is destined for.  It will be so huge, how can cross-marketing resist the temptation.   :o ;D

But anyway, I digress.  I instead invite you to consider" What existing world you would like to see, and what creative problems/issues may arise from doing so?   ::) ::) ::)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2006, 01:03:45 am »
I look forward to seeing your Earth. It would be difficult to make.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2006, 07:38:50 pm »
It would be awsome (and a bit crazy) if someone took the time to create coruscant (the planetwide city from starwars)
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2006, 12:38:08 am »
Here is what you do. Take a creature you really want but is copyrighted, change its color, and give it an extra pair of eyes.
Its no longer under that copyright.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2006, 06:36:14 am »
Here is what you do. Take a creature you really want but is copyrighted, change its color, and give it an extra pair of eyes.
Its no longer under that copyright.

Then its also no longer the creature you wanted.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2006, 08:00:50 am »
Why not just have some ideas of your own? Much more fun.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2006, 08:10:42 am »

For me, I just want to see if some of the alien ecosystems we see in fiction could function in the simulation.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2006, 08:12:53 am »

For me, I just want to see if some of the alien ecosystems we see in fiction could function in the simulation.
Yeah, true, but very hard to do replicate/control in Spore I should imagine. A very ambitious project.

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2006, 10:12:33 am »

Anyway, we have to remmember "Spore" is just a game with rules of its own and and just some variables, not a scientifical super simulator.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2006, 11:42:12 am »

Anyway, we have to remmember "Spore" is just a game with rules of its own and and just some variables, not a scientifical super simulator.

Maybe Spore is but who said Spore 5 won't be? :-P
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »
boo to sequels!  Expansions all the way.  If they can use code to define the movement of all creatures regardless of their shapes then who's to say that they can't use an expansion to upgrade that code for better movement, nicer texturing.

In short...  the only reason I can see at the moment for expansions is graphical upgrade or an engine overhaul.  If you can upgrade the graphics and the engine via an expansion then instead of tossing Spore for Spore 2 you're multiplying the original by itself and making the original (even if you never play the "expanded galaxy" as good as the sequel itself would be).

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2006, 08:58:57 pm »

Thus why I didn't say 'would work well in reality', but 'in the simulation'.