Author Topic: ODDWORLD - a "feature planet" in the Spore Universe  (Read 43245 times)

TheChaos7

Re: ODDWORLD - a "feature planet" in the Spore Universe
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 11:02:54 am »
listen..they cant sue anyways..its only copyright infringement if you make a profit of it..i mean maxis will make money from the game duh!..but they make no additonal profit for OUR creatures that WE make..same with that stupid lawsuit vs city of heros marvel lost ..why? because they had no argument

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 11:21:35 am »
listen..they cant sue anyways..its only copyright infringement if you make a profit of it..i mean maxis will make money from the game duh!..but they make no additonal profit for OUR creatures that WE make..same with that stupid lawsuit vs city of heros marvel lost ..why? because they had no argument

However Maxis will still take it off the database anyway.

TheChaos7

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 11:22:58 am »
^^how do you know this?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2006, 11:23:57 am »
^^how do you know this?

Caryl Shaw said in the presentation she gave at the GDC.

Basically, though there may not be a case against them, Maxis still don't want copyright material in the game. They're quite happy to remove that stuff if they're asked to, and regularly check themselves. By all accounts they have some very sophisticated detection algorithms.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:25:31 am by Daxx »

TheChaos7

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 11:24:53 am »
wow i missed something then..can i have a link to this?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 11:27:09 am »
wow i missed something then..can i have a link to this?

Not unless you are willing to pay $8.

Alternatively, there is a link around but I can't give it to you (I shouldn't even know that it exists, much less let others know).
Scratch that, there is no link.

TheChaos7

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 11:28:26 am »
alrighty then...

Offline Sporinger Z

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 12:51:32 pm »
Is Willosaurus copyrighted?

TheChaos7

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 12:55:44 pm »
doubtful but it would make no sense to make it..you can be assured it wil be included with game along with buttface dillema tweetybird and hengog ..aswell as many other maxis made creatures

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 12:58:35 pm »

Not true, sorry.  If you do a search someone already gave a really nice post quoting the copywright law.  Basically you don't need to make any money, the creator just needs to feel that you have unreasonably impinged on their ability to do something with their creation.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

TheChaos7

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 01:02:33 pm »
yes but they cant sue maxis for something they have no control of..they gave us the editer and some creatures ..as long as the creatures they made dont break the law then they cant do anything..because maxis has no control over what we make..they could suppose post an agreement saying you cant upload copyrighted creatures...but you could still make them..just not upload them use them in your game only

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2006, 02:52:12 pm »
yes but they cant sue maxis for something they have no control of..they gave us the editer and some creatures ..as long as the creatures they made dont break the law then they cant do anything..because maxis has no control over what we make..they could suppose post an agreement saying you cant upload copyrighted creatures...but you could still make them..just not upload them use them in your game only

See sony root kit lawsuits if you want an example of a lawsuit over the use of a tool that the creating company had no control over.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2006, 03:15:32 pm »

The problem is, they distribute those copywrited creatures through their database system. It's this distribution that's the problem.

Now they're not liable for us making them, but they are liable for distributing them once we've made them.

Offline rayofash

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2006, 05:11:40 pm »
"which the editor wouldn't be able to handle at all"

You missed out on the robotic limbs concept art didnt you? Will Wright has said himself there will be robotic limbs.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 09:46:17 pm »
Regarding what Carol Shaw said in her talk:  With the Sims Exchange they would regularly get calls from Marvel complaining that there were Spiderman Skins on the Exchange and so Maxis would compliantly and quickly have them removed.  The fact that it's non-profit doesn't matter, the fact that it's user-made doesn't matter.  What matters (as Daxx had pointed out in the copyrights thread) is brand control.  Marvel must at all times approve every incarnation of Spiderman and the others.  If it wasn't Marvel approved then the company loses (little by little) its hold over the Spiderman brand and image.

Nobody will get sued, and it depends on the company.  If you make and upload a smurf, Maxis might never hear about it from a corporate phone call, if you make an Alien they almost certainly will hear about it.