Author Topic: Realistic spacetime?  (Read 5866 times)

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Realistic spacetime?
« on: April 16, 2006, 05:31:54 pm »
Will the time between light is generated and 'til you can see it on your own planet be realistic? I recall reading somewhere that it takes a lot of years for light to travel from stars out in space, so lets say that we blow up a sun, and then we go home to our planet. If the star has disappeared, then it's unrealistic, but if it's still there(Until the final wave of light hits the planet), then it's realistic.

So?

Offline quizzle

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic spacetime?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 05:40:30 pm »
In the GDC video, the asteroid field appeared immediately after the planet was destroyed.

If that helps answer a question.

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:47:49 pm »
In the GDC video, the asteroid field appeared immediately after the planet was destroyed.

If that helps answer a question.

Burned. That is one heck of a little detail. And by the size and look of the planets zoomed out, Realism is discarded for superior gameplay.

Offline Zer Zeron

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:23:46 pm »
No it doesnt, he means if a star in another star system explodes, will the star turn into a supernova in your planets sky instantly, or will it appear the same until the appropriate time for its light to reach that system.

Offline KJSatz

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 06:31:15 pm »
Well theoretically, your UFO would take just as much, or even more, time to get back to your home planet as you did, so it's a moot point, no?

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:05:26 pm »
Well theoretically, your UFO would take just as much, or even more, time to get back to your home planet as you did, so it's a moot point, no?

It flys faster then the speed of light. Duh  :P
-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline Caledonian

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 07:13:13 pm »
The slides and concept material we've seen suggest that (at some point in the past, at least) space travel in Spore is (or was) realistic in the sense of obeying relativisitic constraints.

The immediate appearance of an asteroidal ring doesn't mean much to our analysis.  And we have no particular reason to think that the UFO will be capable of FTL.  NAFAL, perhaps.  We'll see.
Leela: Uh, Professor, are we even allowed in the Forbidden Zone?
Professor Farnsworth: Why, of course! It's just a name, like the Death Zone or the Zone of No Return. All the Zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror.
- Futurama, My Three Suns

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 07:47:02 pm »
Good Gameplay > Realism

You've seen the cartoon-ish planets, no? And the '05 Demo, zooming was as quick as double clicking or rolling the mouse wheel

Besides, who wants to wait hours or years or epochs for something as small as light travelling from star to star?
And we have no particular reason to think that the UFO will be capable of FTL. NAFAL, perhaps. We'll see.
Who in their right mind would want to wait their entire life to travel to the next star in Spore?

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 08:07:56 pm »
The game time speeds up when you travel between stars and zoom out, I beleive thats what Will Wright said.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 08:13:29 pm »
The game time speeds up when you travel between stars and zoom out, I beleive thats what Will Wright said.

So what happends when you travel away from your home planet then come back? Will the time have changed thouses even millions of years?

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 08:19:45 pm »
Gonna check back over the 05 GDC vid, I think thats where he mentioned it.

Edit: Hmmm can't seem to find it, so I can't swear about the truth about time speeding up. But I'm sure I heard/read it somewhere, I just don't know where...Hmmm
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 08:28:35 pm by Tantalus »

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 09:11:18 pm »
I suspect (and hope) that light travels instantly in Spore.  Although it would be a neat addition, and definately a realistic addition, consider the requirements and consequences.

If you cannot travel faster than the speed of light:  It would literally take you years of real playing time just to travel from one star system to the other

If you can travel faster than the speed of light:  The devs have to deal with TONS of highly controversial theories that cross over and contradict each other on multiple points.  They have to deal with things that would make the game very complicated both for coding and playing.  Things like a visual doppler effect, red shift, potential time travel, blowing yourself up (fire a laser then zip to the target)...  it's just too hairy...  Plus, if your home star went supernova and you zipped to the next star system you would still have to wait years to see it.

Speed of light wouldn't be practical in the game, nor would it be enjoyable I think.  Spore lightspeed=now.

Offline Caledonian

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 09:27:03 pm »
Who in their right mind would want to wait their entire life to travel to the next star in Spore?

I think you should look up NAFAL flight.
Leela: Uh, Professor, are we even allowed in the Forbidden Zone?
Professor Farnsworth: Why, of course! It's just a name, like the Death Zone or the Zone of No Return. All the Zones have names like that in the Galaxy of Terror.
- Futurama, My Three Suns

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 09:37:19 pm »
even at exact light speed, it would still take you years.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2006, 09:43:59 pm »
In my humble opinion, I hope it just breaks the laws of physics and allows you to travel millions of times the speed of light to make the game playable. If it takes 20 years to get to the next star, that sucks. If you go to another star, then come back to your own planet only to find that your creature has been enslaved by robots for 20,000 years, that sucks too.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe